Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-01-2007, 10:33 PM   #21
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

There is some small case that can be argued to forgive naivety, but not to forgive foolishness. I sincerely hope these people have prepared themselves and their boat well, and I hope equally that Weyelan has been wrongly informed.

As to the sailors, I wish them well but, If you spend all your time blowing your own trumpet, you had better have mighty powerful lungs.

David.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 12:43 AM   #22

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiAussie View Post
So if we reverse the roles, i.e. a younger man & an older woman, then does the above still apply???
I said older and younger "person" for a reason....

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 01:07 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
The general consensus elsewhere is these 2 people are fools, and dangerous fools at that. In the girl that foolishness can almost be excused because she has zero proevious experience and, quite obviously, no clue about what she is letting herself in for. In the man such foolishness is les forgiveable. The vessel is of questionable seaworthiness (many people believe that he did not hit a ship at all, merely buckles his under-specced bowsprit with sail-load), it had been something like 3 years since the bottom had been scrubbed before they left (and I don't know that there was any anti-foul on the bottom anyway). The boat has various leaks, but they cant be bothered to move the stores to try to trace the sources.

If (more likely when) they get into difficulty, brave men and women will risk their lives to try to rescue these fools.
This is a sadly negative post.

Many people say unkind things about other people who are doing things they don't understand. When one hears a story like "the bottom hasn't been scrubbed in 3 years..." you really have to question the source. Especially since the couple have posted on their blog just in the past couple days about how they clean the bottom while underway. Do you have personal knowledge or is this just a phantom story?

Further--there are boats out there sailing around WITHOUT anti-fouling paints on the bottom--just normal paint. I wouldn't do it. It requires one to clean the bottom every week. But, well known sailor Dennis Conner doesn't have any on the bottom of his boats, classic and racing, he just pays for weekly cleaning... You can't say that Dennis doesn't care about the condition of his boats.

Maybe the guy didn't hit a ship, maybe he did. There are cases of ships not reporting when they've hit vessels. It does happen. I choose to believe the fellow in what he said--I have no reason not to believe him at this point.

Who says the vessel is of questionable seaworthiness? Do you have personal knowledge of why this is so? "the boat has leaks..can't be bothered..." statement doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It looks like a wooden boat and if its a wooden boat (is it?), it can "weep" through seams and if the leaks are slow enough, many owners aren't going to go tracing them. It can be very destructive to tear things apart to try and find a perfectly "acceptable" weeping. What are you going to do--dismantle the entire boat interior to find something that isn't a problem anyway? I would trace the leaks but that's because I'm a control freak. Many people wouldn't. If its not a wooden boat, well, then its maybe a problem.

Do you have personal knowledge of what's going on with this yacht that we don't? If so, perhaps you can qualify your statement more clearly?

About the "brave men and women risking their lives for these fools"...um...seems like the guy has been sailing for many years w/o incident, right? People go on long solo cruises. Do we consider them all to be fools in need of rescue? The fact that they aren't going into ports is sad--they're missing out, but that doesn't make their boat less seaworthy nor does it make them less capable as sailors.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:48 AM   #24
Lieutenant

My post probably came across as negative because I am pretty negative about the whole endeavour. I have read a fair amount about this whole project over the past year or two, including not only the speculation & gossip but also the "official" story from the blog and from supporters involved with the project. The fact that the vessel was neither anti-fouled nor scrubbed for (from memory) 3 years prior to setting sail is on record on their own website. Lack of funds for "luxuries" (sic) such as haul-outs was cited as the reason if I recall correctly. I did read that the bloke had been jumping over the side and scraping the boat below the waterline underway. Excuse me for being sceptical, but using a trowel of some sort to remove 3 years worth of barnacles and mussels on a 70-footer strikes me as a 1000 day job!

The boat is made of steel mesh and resin - not exactly a common construction method. If the steel mesh does, somehow, get water in it, it will expand and what do you reckon will happen to the resin?

Have a look at some of the photographs on their website and read their blogs for yourself and see whether you think these 2 should be in charge of a shopping cart, let alone a 70' sailing vessel. The general standard of rigging around the boat doesn't exactly inspire confidence. The fact that their idea of keeping watch is to be down below reading abook and popping their head out every 20 minutes or so to have a look for ships isn't exactly seamanlike.

The young girl has, by her own admission, no previous experience. The blocke is, apparently, very experienced. Nevertheless, the general standard of his lashing and rigging on the boat, the placement of some of his safety equipment and even the placment of his solar panels (on vertical surfaces) doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Look, don't get me wrong; I am all for people "having a go". I also don't think you need to have a million dollar budget. Nevertheless, I think that there is a line that needs to be drawn somewhere between "having a go" and "being a danger to themselves and others". As far as I'm aware, they haven't seen anything remotely like bad weather yet and they intend to head into the Southern Oceans... good luck to them; I wish them all the best of luck, but If the do survive without misadventure it will, in my opinion, be luck, not skill, that will see them through. I don't mean to raise anyone's ire here. I am a great believer in freedom to pursue your dreams in whatever way you see fit, insofar as it harms no others (I sure as hell did some stupid things in high mountains when I was younger and more foolish). I think that the old "experienced" guy has a duty of care to his young ineperienced companion, and I am not sure that he id fulfilling his duty of care. I also hope that their actions will not endanger others in the event that they do have difficulty.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:16 AM   #25
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbopeep View Post
Maybe the guy didn't hit a ship, maybe he did. There are cases of ships not reporting when they've hit vessels. It does happen. I choose to believe the fellow in what he said--I have no reason not to believe him at this point.
On the 1000-days website you can listen to "Mission Control" reporting the colision to the Coast Guard, or so they claim. Assuming the clam is correct, why has the report not reached Lloyds? If the claim is bogus ant the telephone report faked then the is good reason for Lloyds not knowing about the incident as it never happened.

Their website contains many indications of poor seamanship and bad judgement.

I am not the judge and jury here but I am sceptical and I am with Weyalan on this one.

Aye

Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 05:49 AM   #26

Quote:
.... which is???
its age related not gender related.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:10 AM   #27
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
why has the report not reached Lloyds? If the claim is bogus ant the telephone report faked then the is good reason for Lloyds not knowing about the incident as it never happened.
Just checked again with Lloyds MIU (Marine Intelligence Unit). They still have no casualty report for Maersk Dunedin. Makes you wonder????

Aye

Stephen

www.nausikaa.org.uk

Old 08-02-2007, 06:14 PM   #28

Quote:
So just to clarify your opinion, any "younger person" involved in a professional or personal relationship with an "older person" is being "ruled" by the older person??? Would this not really apply to ones "character" rather than their age (i.e. anyone of any age can take advantage of (or rule) another of any age)???

You see, I've previously been involved with much older women in both professional & personal relationships & I don't remember being "ruled". But then again, maybe they were subconsciously "ruling" me???

>> since the younger person is more likely to defer to the older persons "experience"...

I view this more as seeking (not necessarily agreeing with) their "opinion" (given their experience). Also, the experience makes for good conversations.

Benjamin Franklin, June 25, 1745: "I repeat my former Advice, that in all your Amours you should prefer old Women to young ones."
I agree that experience makes for good conversations. When you've spent your time talking to older friends in their 60's and 70's (many of mine are) then you talk to someone in their 20's, sometimes you really notice the lack of depth. Funny how when I was in my 20's I didn't think this, huh?

What I said was: In my opinion, when you see an older person voluntarily coupled with a younger person in things like business ventures or personal relationships, you should question if you're seeing someone (older) who has a very strong personality who has found it easier to "rule" younger people since the younger person is more likely to defer to the older persons "experience"...

"you should question" is not "this is the way it is"....

Applying that to this fellow...we all probably think this particular guy has a pretty strong personality--after all, according to may posts here he does seem to be bucking the "conventional wisdom" in many ways from the type of boat he chooses to use to being at sea for 3 years. Not exactly conventional, is he? In the business world, if you've got an unconventional, new and innovative product/technology or way of doing things and you want employees who aren't already sold on the old product/technology or or group think, what do you do? Well, you hire young grads right outta school and teach them "your way" before they've had a chance to form their own strong opinion that clashes with your way of doing business. Business and relationships aren't that different.

The world is not an absolute place. Different situations for different people. My brother at 28 married a woman 17 years his senior and they were very well matched and made a great team making most of their decisions jointly. I don't personally have issues with older/younger relationships, etc.

But, in my opinion, when you see the older/younger thing in relationships or other partnerships, part of the equation may very well be issues of dominance/rule/leadership/etc. Unless we're out for a wild time, I believe we gravitate towards relationships with people who we are at ease with, and many times they're close enough in age to appreciate the same jokes and cultural references in conversations. If we're not good communicators to start with, that makes our lives much easier. People who are about the same age and raised in the same culture will also be more likely to share relationship expectations. In theory, they have a greater chance of a successful relationship because of these shared things. Straightforward thought.

My earlier comment is directed squarely at the couple in the 1000 day venture, not anyone else.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:57 PM   #29
Admiral

My ex just came up with another reason for having a younger crew member and I am not sure you will like it. She claims that when the food runs out a younger crew member will be more "tender" than an older!

Yeh, well, she was never in favour of sailing anyway.

Aye

Stephen

www.nausikaa.org.uk

Old 08-02-2007, 08:08 PM   #30
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

I sense a slight drift away from the topic.

It must be difficult enough to be isolated from interaction with other people for so long so, whoever you are "stuck" with, must be REALLY compatible with you - to keep you (both) stimulated. There is nowhere to hide.

Good luck to them - they still have a VERY long way to go.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 10:06 PM   #31
Rear Admiral

"The general consensus elsewhere is these 2 people are fools, and dangerous fools at that. In the girl that foolishness can almost be excused because she has zero proevious experience and, quite obviously, no clue about what she is letting herself in for. In the man such foolishness is les forgiveable. The vessel is of questionable seaworthiness..."

Blah-Blah-Blah

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What do you reckon they all said when Christopher Columbus sailed over the horizon?

I hope they accomplish their goals.

To Life!

Kirk
Old 08-03-2007, 12:08 AM   #32
Admiral

Vessel Name: Persevate
Send a message via Yahoo to atavist

Actually having spent a lot of time in isolated situations with individuals while in the military on ship and in Iraq I have found that, as long as no one is a complete a** hole, being forced into close quarters with someone forces a certain level of intimacy and friendship that cannot be parralled anywhere else. Many of my very closest friends/brothers are guys that I would have never socialized with in the normal world. But forced into close quarters and forced to cooperate you learn to get along... I guess it sort of goes back to the old saying "small homes make for warm families"... I think it applies here. Even if they never would have worked in the real world I think the isolation will make them super close... the problem may be when they return to the normal world and see behavioral changes due to socialization changes.

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
atavist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 01:17 AM   #33
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallivanters View Post
What do you reckon they all said when Christopher Columbus sailed over the horizon?

I hope they accomplish their goals.

To Life!

Kirk
Kirk,

Christopher Columbus sailed over the horizon because he was being paid to do so by the Spanish "government". He was commissioned, by the Spanish monarchy, to try to find a sea-route to India. His vessels were provided / paid for and equipped by the State and were state of the art - the very best available in the world at that time. I think that your analogy is inappropriate.

For what it is worth, I too hope that they accomplish their goals. I will be pleased to "eat my words" and will offer hearty congratulations if they succeed. I merely worry what will happen if they don't.

To Life, indeed.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:38 PM   #34
Admiral

Vessel Name: Persevate
Send a message via Yahoo to atavist

ok... bad phrasing... not that type of intimacy.

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
atavist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 04:31 PM   #35
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Well, 143 days and still going.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 04:06 AM   #36
Lieutenant

I hadn’t heard about Reid Stowe until reading this thread. Some may question his tactics, but I applaud him for living his dream.

A quick look at Reid’s personal blurb shows that a key influence was Bernard Moitessier, a great sailor, showman, writer and friend to those who would listen. He has been my sailing hero all my life and a mentor when I first began.

If you were to read Moitessier’s books, Sailing to the Reefs, The Logical Route and the Long Way, I think you would better understand Reid’s journey and realise he is just using the marketing tools available, to escape once again back to his beloved Sea.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:24 AM   #37
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

I don't know about you, but I've gotta get me one of them t-shirts!
Old 09-18-2007, 03:18 PM   #38
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor_Pilot View Post
.....My first mate is 4 months younger than I to the day, and I would not trade her for two 25 1/2 year olds.

Jeff
I gues that your first mate reads the forums!

This isn't a kind of trip wouldn't be my cup of tea but I certainly take of my hat for them. Its a serious challenge and I hope that they succeed! I actually ran into their website a while ago and I have been reading some of their postings, quite interesting.

Said

so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and

impatient when least effective."

-Henry David Thoreau
Yachtmaster81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 06:38 PM   #39
Lieutenant

Well, since he's NOT in the entertainment industry, his choice of such a young and inexperienced first mate might raise some eyebrows heheh in fact,

maybe he's doing this because he's tired of explaining to everyone he meets that "No, she is NOT my daughter OR my niece" heheh

On the other hand, in looking over the photos and descriptions of the ship, and trying to catch a glimpse of the measure of the man thru his choices and what he writes...it seems like a foolhardy venture to me. I hope the both of them survive the trials to come. I doubt that the ship will.

seer
Old 11-06-2007, 09:03 PM   #40
Rear Admiral

I resemble some of these remarks. I am 22 years older than my wife, and all that chasing was tough on me. Hell, I ran out of breath in the first block before she caught me. Then I surrendered to her dominating, and having her way with me! I just want you to know I am willing to go on with the suffering too!

To each his own, and I applaud them for trying. Pelagic may be quite right. Some find the beauty of being on the sea. While others will wish to add destinations to their journey. You can look at it this way, for 1000 days that is one less boat to share your anchorage.

It is said that God looks over fools, and drunks. I really do think they will curse the bottom though!