Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-06-2007, 09:54 PM   #41
Rear Admiral

One last thought. Why is age was not brought up in reference to Adele?

Old 11-06-2007, 11:03 PM   #42
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

Day 197 and it looks like they are sailing in circles in the South Atlantic. I wonder if this will be the primary means of killing time...circling between Africa and South America.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:45 PM   #43
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
One last thought. Why is age was not brought up in reference to Adele?
MoneY ?
Old 11-07-2007, 12:46 AM   #44
Lieutenant

Couple of things, as I cruise thru their blog, he doesn't describe how he came to collide with the freighter. She makes a remark that the boat is steel? I had thought it wood. can't believe he's scraping on a steel hull, if he breaks the barrier coat, assuming there IS a barrier coat...3 years....hmmm...? Second major problem, having sailed just a few gaff schooners...does anyone see any baggywrinkle on that boat...whooops, now I see he's repairing sails do to chafe on the rig...

This is not auspicious.. Also, from what I can see, his blocks look undersized..there's lot of string on a gaffer...I hope he's got half a mile or better of it stowed below....

seer
Old 11-07-2007, 01:52 AM   #45
Lieutenant

[QUOTE=name='Seeratlas' date='Nov 6 2007, 07:46 PM' post='14737']

Couple of things, as I cruise thru their blog, he doesn't describe how he came to collide with the freighter. She makes a remark that the boat is steel? I had thought it wood. can't believe he's scraping on a steel hull, if he breaks the barrier coat, assuming there IS a barrier coat...3 years....hmmm...? Second major problem, having sailed just a few gaff schooners...does anyone see any baggywrinkle on that boat...whooops, now I see he's repairing sails do to chafe on the rig...

This is not auspicious.. Also, from what I can see, his blocks look undersized..there's lot of string on a gaffer...I hope he's got half a mile or better of it stowed below....

seer

Ok, now things are becoming more clear...the boat was built like a ferro boat but they troweled in fibreglass? Construction of this boat is not entirely clear. I guess the blocks are handbuilt by his family as was the whole boat. Quite a project when lauched she had baggywrinkle all over so.....and that explains the scraping of the hull...either fibreglas or cement would be better than scraping steel. Wonder why she thinks its a "steel" boat? Did he not tell her? LOL.

In any event, the constuction looked ok except for the chicken wire..but from his pictures she's lasted a long time so far

Maybe I underestimated him. Will be interested to see how they do He certainly isn't afraid of adversity and that's encouraging.

seer
Old 11-07-2007, 02:58 PM   #46
Rear Admiral

MMNETSEA.....lololololol.... my same thought
Old 11-08-2007, 11:08 PM   #47
Lieutenant

Ok, I've read the whole thing now, 200 days tomorrow...well, they certainly have the guts to make it through. OTOH, i'm not entirely sure I get the connection between this and a thousand day mars mission...Let's see, take one long past middle age sixties' 'SDR&R' type adventurer, put him on a big boat with a not entirely unattractive and obviously well educated and intelligent, not to mention seemingly emotionally *solid* young (mid 20's?) coed, alone, for a thousand days....and I'm thinking this is more like the Arabian nights than a spaceship to mars...unless Nasa intends to match up the flight officers with willing interns for the trip which seems to me unlikely. Still, have to admire their guts, and his work ethic.

The other thing is that the fellow doesn't look at all healthy to me, he seems to be losing weight that he really can't afford to lose. Perhaps now that they're eating more fish, he'll gain back a few pounds.

Interesting reading tho. Thanks for starting the thread.

seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
MMNETSEA.....lololololol.... my same thought
Old 11-14-2007, 04:21 PM   #48
Rear Admiral

I hadn't read the blog, but opened it today. I guess they are on thier way to South Africa? I would assume if they are going to circumnavigate this will get them to the horn in a bad time of the year? AS ALWAYS TIME WILL TELL!
Old 02-26-2008, 08:14 PM   #49
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

I think he's about to "lose it". He's on his own now.

LINK

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:18 PM   #50
Rear Admiral

For quite a while she has been saying that it is just another day, and she is not feeling well. I can't imagine being sick for over a month. We will see how he manages on his own.................

http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/lectro...22&dayid=76