Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-20-2007, 07:47 AM   #1
Ensign

Default 1.4 tonner for cruising?

Hi just wondering if anyone could tell me the advantages and disavantages of of buying a gary mull 8.2 metre 1/4 tonner converted to cruiser would i be better to buy a cruising yacht as this is what I want to do around the new zealand cost and maybe to the islands new to sailing any help would be much appreciated

Cheers

Old 01-20-2007, 03:22 PM   #2
Rear Admiral

Hi Gav,

Don't know the design, but lots of people go cruising on converted (or even not converted) race boats - with few issues.

Some are sure to say if you have got lots of conversion work to do it might be worth checking out exactly what that will all cost you as it may be cheaper all round to sell it on, and go get a dedicated cruiser.

But guess $$$ usually dictate what we can and can't do - so enjoy your trip whatever you do it on.

Cheers

JOHN

Old 01-21-2007, 04:01 AM   #3
Ensign

Hi Swagman, Thank you for that the boat i am looking at is already converted so ready to go just wondered if they are as stable safe and comfortable as a dedicated cruiser thanks for your reply

Cheers Gav P
Old 01-22-2007, 04:22 AM   #4
Ensign

gavpeg .Go for it, I cruised a Ron Holland 1/4 tonner up & down the east coast of Australia. The restictions on the boat when I brought it were no jibs for heavy weather sailing so I had one of the genoas cut down to a small jib. Also fitted larger cockpit drains. No anchor locker for ground tackle was a pain also.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:57 PM   #5
Ensign

I used to race a Mull quarter tonner (It had the very pointed stern). Lovely boat to race if a little bit hairy down wind. Up wind she pointed like a dream.

Catherine Carr
catherine@brittany-gites. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 03:31 PM   #6
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavpeg View Post
Hi Swagman, Thank you for that the boat i am looking at is already converted so ready to go just wondered if they are as stable safe and comfortable as a dedicated cruiser thanks for your reply

Cheers Gav P
Hello everyone, I've been lurking for awhile and recently decided to register. First, I hope it's OK to just jump in and give my opinion, I'm not all that sure of the etiquette on these forums. I've read a lot of threads on the board and found many of them useful. I thought I might have something to add here, or not.

Anyway, my two cents on this topic: "stable, safe and comfortable", no, debatable, and no.

It's obviously going to be lighter than a cruising boat, hence less stable, comfort is relative but boats built for cruising are "generally" going to be more comfortable than boats built for racing. Safety is the tough one. While I personally prefer a full keel, there are a lot of sailors out there extolling the virtues of being able to go faster and short tack easier.

This is an area that you can't substitute other peoples advice for your own practical experience.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:43 PM   #7
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Welcome "Balance" - good to have you here.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote