Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-20-2013, 07:41 PM   #1
Rear Admiral

Default A hacksaw!..a hacksaw! my kingdom for a hacksaw!..

I rocked up at the Jetstar terminal yesterday for my flight to Sydney and then my flight to Malaysia later today.

With a bag chockers with yacht parts and instruments and a carry-on backpack with even more, I thought I'd be smart and pre purchase another 15kg/extra bag.

There is no 316 S/S tubing in Borneo I've been told, so I wrapped up a 2m length figuring it was no longer than a fishing rod and showed my smiley face at the counter.

I'm planning on mounting an instrument pod on a new arch above the compass on Australis so 2m would have been fine.

Unfortunately the woman behind the counter pointed at a sign behind me with a black line across it just above head height ....and yes...my new instrument pod arch was 130mm too long

I put on my most distressed face and turned back to the counter when she said, 'Its should be fine though'

The heavens opened, a celestial ray of light filled the terminal and the angels sang

Until she went on to add, 'I don't mind processing the rest of your bags if you want to cut a bit off the end'

I explained to a rather confused face, that it was 2mm S/S tubing and unfortunately I had left my angle grinder in my washbag back at the house.

Clutching at straws I asked if she perhaps had a hacksaw in her handbag she could lend me?

So my tube remains in Cairns and I'll have to live with 314 tube in Borneo but I guess that at least, unlike the last monarch of the House of York, I won't be losing my kingdom over it

Fair winds,

Mico/Australis

Old 01-20-2013, 08:50 PM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

The laws have only recently changed and the cynic in me whispers to my barely conscious thoughts, that it is a means of separating just a few more sheckels from us poor mug punters. My okoto (musical instrument) remains in Japan because it is too long, and when traveling to Mexico in 17 days time, I will have to either pay airfrieight ($200-$250) to transport my didgeridoo (I teach and play for $$$) or else leave it at home.
It's just a bit of a bugger!

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:44 PM   #3
Rear Admiral

You're quite the musical man Auzzee

Just as well you're not a Cello or Grand Piano player

Who said us grottie yachties had no cultcha?
Old 01-21-2013, 02:35 AM   #4
Admiral

Oil me up and I'll give you 'Bum of The flightle Bee' on the comb and dunny paper. Actually written for the Lagerphone, but well adapted to the above.

Bum of The Flightle Bee (Davo) being, of course, similar to the Flight of The Bumble Bee (Ripyacorsetzoff), only played in the little known key of Zm#.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:29 AM   #5
Lieutenant

Home Port: Cheyenne, WY
Vessel Name: CAREFREE
Send a message via Skype™ to gts1544

Behave, Auzzee!!! and what the hell is a didgeridoo?
Old 01-21-2013, 04:43 AM   #6
Admiral

Didgeridoo is an aboriginal musical instrument, second oldest instrument on the planet after the drum. It comes from just one place in Australia (Yirrakala) and is, in Aboriginal language, called a Yidaki. The word 'didgeridoo' is onomatopaeic, and came from a Methodist missionary who was trying to describe it's sound when writing about it.

Hard to play, but terrific sound.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:51 AM   #7
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

The latest theory is that it derives from "didera" which is an Irish wind instrument. Certainly not an aboriginal word anyhow, contrary to popular belief.

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #8
Capt'n

Home Port: Port Douglas
Vessel Name: S/V Travesty

Ummm dont surfers take surf boards all over the world as check in luggage, they are a darn sight longer than a 2m length of pipe....

Lexx