Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-27-2009, 08:55 PM   #15
Admiral

Vessel Name: Persevate
Send a message via Yahoo to atavist

I'll definitely always keep a security net just in case some state tries to tag me for something....

as for the no ky taxes and someone wanting that.... i'm from a pretty small town... we'll see if i can't bat my eyes at one of the girls at the clerks office and get her to give me something that says "tax paid" vice "tax paid $0.00"...

I'll keep you all posted to how this works out.

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
atavist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 03:51 PM   #16

Sales tax is one of the most common topics on cruising forums. I hear lots of opinions but few real solutions. What I have learned, though, is that if sales tax is paid in one state, other states won't ask for it. At least in our experience. A link to Florida's sales/use tax rules relative to boats is HERE

Florida, where all the snow birds go in the winter, is pretty strict about registration - if you and your boat are in the state for more than 90 days, you will have to register the boat in Florida, regardless of where it is also registered. I will acknowledge that most cruisers passing through Florida on their way to the Bahamas or Caribbean keep moving enough that no place in Florida sees them long enough to consider taxing them. Just be careful. Here's one site that explains the rules: Take Me Fishing

Lastly, the issue of mail. When we left the US to go cruising we relied on family, then friends to forward our mail to us. Family was not bad, but not great. Friends were better, but made occasional mistakes because they often didn't understand overseas mail and customs problems, and didn't have the resources that a professional mail forwarder does. We were lucky that they were extremely conscientious, unlike the family or friends of some of the cruisers we met. Because we were imposing on them we occasionally hesitated to ask for services that we have no reservations about asking of the professionals that are paid for their services.

We were referred to St. Brendan's Isle by cruising friends of ours, and have found them to be conscientious and extremely knowledgeable. We were able to order boat gear through them and trust them to ship it to us wherever we were. They also helped us establish Florida residency when we returned to the US and had no permanent residence. Our nomadic ways over the 17 or 18 years we cruised outside the U.S. didn't change just because we had returned to the US. The Internet has made cruising less complicated than before it existed, but a stateside address and professional mail forwarding service remains important to this lifestyle.

Congratulations on your giant step towards the cruising life.

Fair winds,

Jeanne

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:14 PM   #17
Ensign

Home Port: Gibraltar
Vessel Name: S/Y Spirit

Congratulations on your new boat, atavist. Keep us posted on your journeys.

Fair winds!

CruisingSpirit
Old 04-10-2009, 01:32 PM   #18
Admiral

Vessel Name: Persevate
Send a message via Yahoo to atavist

Just an update.

Enchiridion is now registered in KY. The fee was only $50, and they didn't assess any use, sales or property taxes against her since she was bought out of state and will never come to KY... they were however nice enough, as I had hoped, to give me the registered/tax paid stickers which without some other state would probably hassle me for taxes... they did give me a bow number but as she is CG registered (already filed the change of owner stuff, now just waiting) I don't plan to put it on... I hate those, and plan to put her name on the bow instead but will have the stickers to show if anyone has any questions...

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
atavist is offline   Reply With Quote