Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-28-2008, 08:26 PM   #1
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture_050.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	540

Lori & I on the sail back from Catalina this weekend.

Name:	Picture_055.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	541

Returning from our afternoon dive.

Now that we are living on our boat, we have no excuse for not getting her out of the slip as often as possible. I am happy to say that we have been averaging every other weekend at Catalina making sure that all the systems are getting a thorough workout.

Some really good news is that we fixed our windlass and it is now working without any issues. For a few days there I thought we would be buying a new one which didn’t fit into the budget at this time.

We are getting in many hours of diving and find that it has changed our normal routine at the island for the better. Scuba diving is an excellent workout because you really don’t realize just how much energy your body is exerting during the activity…especially if you are doing 3 dives per day. However, at the end of the day we always feel like we have been hit by a bus. We now find ourselves too tired to go to the bar on Saturday night and simply hangout on the boat to watch a movie and crash. The money we are saving on drinks at the bar alone should pay for our scuba gear by the end of the summer.

Oh yeah, we saw 3 Blue whales on Friday night and one on our return trip Sunday afternoon...amazing creatures!

Name:	Picture_038.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	542

Friday night sail to the Isthmus hoping for a green flash.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:55 PM   #2
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Fantastic Ken.

You are doing the right thing - so many liveaboards think that it is too much trouble to pack things away and tie everything down to go off for a sail.

Well done!

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:45 PM   #3
Admiral

Yep, we keep the boat ready to sail within an hour. We are doing our best to make-up for the two years spent living away from the boat in Northern California. The wine was great, but it didn't compare to anchoring at Catalina every weekend.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:40 AM   #4

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trim50 View Post
However, at the end of the day we always feel like we have been hit by a bus.
Hey! Passing on a message from hubby Dave--he says that's how he feels every day after working all day in the boatyard on the boat!

We're both so glad that you guys are getting to spend some really enjoyable time on the boat--working out the kinks and having a blast while you're at it. That's how things should be. Congrats!

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:34 PM   #5
Commander

Home Port: Stockton, MO
Vessel Name: Ceilidh

Thanks for posts like this! It helps to keep those of us working to get there motivated. Catalina...SWEET!

David

S/V Friendship

We spent the weekend looking out of the cabin into the rain!

Name:	m_IMG_1666.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	544
Old 07-29-2008, 03:21 PM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbopeep View Post
Passing on a message from hubby Dave--he says that's how he feels every day after working all day in the boatyard on the boat!
I recall my share of years working on the boat every weekend...there were times that my back hurt so bad I couldn't get out of bed on Monday to go to work. Soon you two will be out sailing every weekend and think back with very fond memories of the times spent working in the boatyard.

When the time comes, we need to arrange to meet at Catalina. Any idea of ETA for your first trip to the island?
Old 07-29-2008, 05:54 PM   #7

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trim50 View Post
I recall my share of years working on the boat every weekend...there were times that my back hurt so bad I couldn't get out of bed on Monday to go to work. Soon you two will be out sailing every weekend and think back with very fond memories of the times spent working in the boatyard.

When the time comes, we need to arrange to meet at Catalina. Any idea of ETA for your first trip to the island?
Definitely!

Since we don't really have an ETA on the launch...dunno about Catalina. We don't have the space to refinish the masts and loft out the rig until after the boat is launched; then we can use the spot where the boat is sitting in the boatyard. Expect it to take us up to a month to get all the rigging parts in order and masts done up. The old sails should be fine for the near term. Heading to Catalina will be the first thing we do once we get a "blessing" from the marine surveyor to leave the local area (insured...).

At the rate we're going that's looking like a fall trip rather than a sunshine filled summer trip.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:25 PM   #8
Admiral

No rush...we enjoy Avalon during the winter months.

If you get things ready by the first weekend of October, you can make Buccaneer Days 2008 at the Isthmus.

Tags
diving