Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 10-24-2006, 12:22 AM   #15
Ensign

Send a message via Yahoo to clay1diver

That is too true, John. I worked on a boat in the Bahamas for a year and have sailed throughout the Caribbean. The only incident that I have heard of first ahnd is the one I posted earlier near Bimini. It would be interesting to see how many instances of piracy have been reported in the past year. And then compare that to how many people are out there cruising. I suspect that the result would be alot like shark attacks. While there are several each year, there are hundreds of thousands of people in the water. So the percentage is very low.

Old 10-26-2006, 09:09 PM   #16
Lieutenant

In my opinion, each and every situation is ruled by chaos theory and will have an outcome determined by the actions of the assaulter and the assulatee (and we can only control our half of this equation). If the assailant doesn't care if you survive the attack and your resistance is fueled by a weapon of your own, you may very well aid in your own demise if you can't gain total control and things don't go your way. Such is the case with Peter Blake. On the other hand I had read a story where the crew members foiled the attack with the presence of their own shot guns and were quickly able to disuade the attackers from continuing with their assault. Each of the these stories could have quickly reversed themselves. In the first situation, Peter Blake could still be alive if he could have gained the upper hand and indeed thought that he could. In the second situation, the crew members could have created such pandamonium in the attackers that all could have wound up dead.

All meaning that you can think and re-think a situation to death and making your personal decision could STILL be the wrong one for the situation that could presents itself to you next.

I also fully agree with Swagman, and have always told my kids that you can't die in a bar-fight if you never entered the bar in the first place.

Bajamas

Old 10-26-2006, 11:41 PM   #17
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

Well said.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:34 PM   #18
Ensign

Send a message via Yahoo to nazim29

Hi, I was searching for some writeups about sailing that i found this issue on pirates. Being a Malaysian and a son of a fisherman maybe this few tips might help. If u are in Indonesian waters, it is best not to let fly Australian, British or US flag. It'll help if u could fly a Malaysian or Indonesian flag next to your initial flag. But do the opposite if u are in Thai & Vietnam waters. Best of all, try to avoid southern Philipines (Sulu & Celebes sea).

Most of the pirates in these waters (Malaysia & Indonesia) are desperate / poor people who have not much use for a GPS or a VHF radio but cigarette / food /water/ some money or western clothes is enough to make them leave ur boat.

If u do carry some kind of firearm, just make sure u check in with the local authority about it eg. like informing the foreign embassies of your visit and firearm thingy...

Happy Sailing..