Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-24-2006, 09:12 AM   #1
Ensign

Send a message via AIM to John_on_Jocara
Default Anyone know of a mast around 18m tall for sale?

Our sailboat, 'Jocara' was dismasted last year in the Indian Ocean while on an environmental expedition, on the way back to Singapore. Everyone survived without injury, and we got the boat back to Singapore in more or less one piece, but now we have to find ways to step a new rig. Rolly Tasker in Phuket had initially indicated that they would be prepared to offer a very competitive package, but it now looks as though their plans to have a mast extrusion facility in Malaysia have fallen through and they are not yet ready to guarantee delivery from their new supplier in China.

I am looking for a 17.9m aluminium mast (around. 0.25 x 0.2m cross section, 4-5 mm wall thickness, about 10 kg/m) with twin spreaders and a boom of around 6.5m. Jocara is of 25 tonnes displacement, 15.6m length on deck with 2m bowsprit and carries 180 sq. m of sail when fully canvassed with 130% Genoa, main and staysail. Does anyone know of a mast that might be available close to these specs? I'm thinking that someone could have one after the Tsunami in 2004 that would be good to see back in service so at least something of the boat would go to good use. Alternatively, if anyone has good contacts in a mast building or extrusion company, can you let me know at john@jocara.net? We are operating on a tight budget and the repairs are going to be frighteningly expensive... but I also know that I can't afford to fit cheap equipment, if you know what I mean. We are engaged in environmental research, education and public outreach (http://www.jocara.net) and have manged to raise some sponsorship before, so we'd be keen to work with companies who might be interested in what we can offer them for a deal on a mast, too.

I need to get the mast to Singapore, Langkawi in Malaysia or Phuket in Thailand depending on which is most convenient and keeps the cost down.

Thanks,

John and family

Old 08-24-2006, 09:38 PM   #2
Rear Admiral

John,

I can't remember his name... but the owner of BREAK WIND (South African) built a mast at Rebak with materials from a local lumber yard on Langkawi.

It was an oval cross-section, built with strips of wood with ends fashioned into 90 degree "birds beaks & dove tails" and bonded with the local "Ko San" epoxy. The building method was found in WOODEN BOAT magazine. I bet the guy at the lumber yard remembers the job, too.

Break Wind was, like, 60 ft in length and the mast turned out beautifully and cost surprisingly little.

Good luck,

Kirk

Old 08-25-2006, 01:28 AM   #3
Commander

Send a message via MSN to dnelson

Hi John and family,

Noel Bradley in Rebak had a mast for sale, and is able to help rigging and stepping it. It was a fairly big mast but I don't know if it was 18m. I'm afraid I don't have Noel's contact info with me, but he is well known around there.

If you do talk to him please say hello to him for me.
dnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 04:04 PM   #4
Ensign

Thanks for the tip... just that I can't find a contact for Noel Bradley yet. If anyone knows how to get in touch with him, please let me know at john@jocara.net! I heard the mast was in a 'derelict' boat called 'Sulawesi' on the hard at Rebak, but nothing more. My other options at the moment revolve around All Yacht Spars in Oz or having a die made and extruding a Selden-type tube here in Singapore then fitting it out with the ancillary parts in Boat Lagoon.

Still looking...

John.

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Converted Post'
Originally posted by dnelson

Hi John and family,

Noel Bradley in Rebak had a mast for sale, and is able to help rigging and stepping it. It was a fairly big mast but I don't know if it was 18m. I'm afraid I don't have Noel's contact info with me, but he is well known around there.

If you do talk to him please say hello to him for me.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:52 AM   #5
Commander

Send a message via MSN to dnelson

Sorry John, I can't find my contact info for Noel, But I have two ways to suggest you find him. His son, Steve Bradley owns/operates Precision Shipwright Services in Boat Lagoon. He will be able to give you his dad's contact info - or Contact Paul at Nautical Bits in Langkawi. (Nautical bits is the place for all kinds previously loved nautical parts.) Paul's email: Langkawipaul@pd.jaring.my 012-5558588 (malaysia.) Paul seems to know every sailor in Langkawi, and how to get in touch with them.

Sulawesi was an old wooden Ketch with two brand new Spars (Aluminum)on her - but I think Noel has another spar hid behind his workshop. Give him a try - worst happens Steve can order you a custom new one...
dnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:52 AM   #6
Ensign

Thanks to all for the tips and contacts. I just talked with Noel Bradley. His mast is about 45' and probably not of big enough section for me even if it could be sleeved and extended. I am now looking into a custom extrusion to be drawn in Thailand (the Singapore extruders can only go up to 220mm section). It's a long shot, but the savings in freight could outweigh the set up cost of producing the die and setting up. Otherwise it's down to spar manufacturers in New Zealand or Australia. Cheers for now, John.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:05 PM   #7
Ensign

John

There is a 25 metre mast in Brisbane on ebay au

Emmo
Old 10-09-2006, 11:58 AM   #8
Ensign

Thanks again to all who have posted on this topic. Update... I have now contracted All Yacht Spars in Brisbane to build us a new rig package, and it will be shipped to Langkawi in Malaysia for stepping. Cheers, John.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:43 AM   #9
Ensign

Home Port: pattaya
Default 18M mast thailand

i am also looking for 18M mast, i am in thailand.
Maybe used or new but very thight budget.
any suggestions?