Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 01:47 PM   #57

Quote:
Sadly a lot of stories of how the boats in several cases had been 'robbed' from whatever could be used and removed like rigging parts, stanchions and other equipements.
I think I'm beating a dead horse here, but I can't resist. I keep coming back to sweeping generalizations.

It has been my experience that the worst of the salvors/thieves after a boat disaster are the local residents who don't know that there are rules to salvage, or who figure that this is "their" land, they can take whatever washes up on it. I have seen it throughout the U.S., the Bahamas, the Caribbean, the South Pacific, and various places in SE Asia. I have read in the SSCA Commodore's Bulletin of the same thing. The worst theft I saw was in Boston, Massachusetts (USA) and Margarita Island, Venezuela. The most annoying of the Boston episode was the ignorance of the police on the scene who allowed the "salvaging" to occur and refused to step in and stop it when the owner of the boat begged them to help him.

I would not be surprised if the same didn't occur after the Tsunami. Not to justify it, I can believe that a few of the beleaguered locals took whatever they could to try to salvage what they had lost. And there are always the opportunists, whether cruisers or others.

I think that accusations from somebody who wasn't there and who makes rather belligerent statements on the scantiest facts are inappropriate.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:43 PM   #58
Commander

Bloody hell, Jeanne, control yerself! It's a dead topic; it is no more, it is deceased - or was, at least, dying a quiet, natural death until ..... "belligerent"?

See ya!

Old 01-07-2008, 03:02 PM   #59
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

I do believe that this topic has run it's course. All paticipants have had enough opportunity and time to "defend their honour" if they wanted.

Let's move on to more positive subjects! Let's talk cruising! There is so much GOOD about cruising!

Thank you all.

TOPIC CLOSED.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Closed Thread