Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 09-03-2013, 08:24 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel
Default Asy sock line control

How about a topic about sailing for a change.

I have an asymmetric spinnaker which I use reasonably often on downwind legs. With the wind on the right quarter it makes my bit heavy steel boat perform a bit more like a club racer if not a pedigree ocean racer.

One problem I have with it is the sock line. Currently it loops through a snatch block on the foredeck, but it is somewhat longer than the run from the top of the kite down to the foredeck and back so the tail of it tends to dangle around on the foredeck. I do cleat off one section of it on a samson post but the line still tends to become tangled on itself where it goes through the snatch block, making a mess that makes the sock hard to retrieve.

My two options at the moment are to shorten the line so that it only just reaches the snatch block, or to add a second snatch block further aft on the foredeck and run the sockline through both, leaving a bit of a triangle and hopefully fewer tangles.

Has anyone wrestled with such a problem before? I'm concerned that if I shorten the sock line it will still twist, and also a longer one might be needed in some cases. However adding another snatch block might be a problem when gybing the kite. What do you reckon?

Old 09-03-2013, 09:08 AM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

If you shorten it but it's not tight, it will still twist (don't ask how I know). It will likely want to twist a bit no matter what unless you've made a little bit of a triangle like what you're proposing (IMHO) to do.

If you could assure it was always loaded you could shorten it the correct amount with a sheepshank knot Sheepshank - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. You could simply wrap (using an easy directional knot like a prussik ) another line over a loop/a bight which would normally go through your snatchblock--this can effectively tighten up your line just as it would be if you shortened it--and then tie off that line to a cleat.

Not very helpful... it does seem that you need multiple cleats to simply give yourself two tight lines and then the extra would be between the two.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:49 PM   #3
Admiral

Vessel Name: Persevate
Send a message via Yahoo to atavist

... or just fly a cruising shoot instead :P

... sorry, probably not helpful but I HATE spinnakers

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
atavist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:53 AM   #4

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

I also dislike them but depending on the person's rig, they're almost a necessity in light airs. We have a huge drifter-esque light air sail and we have something only schooners fly--a gollywobbler. It is a very large 4 sided sail which flies between foremast and mainmast. With two masts, one can get away with flying all sorts of extra canvas w/o having to use a spinnaker.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:02 AM   #5

Gollywobbler is my new favourite word.

Actually I've heard of them but never seen one. Do you have a photo? I've also heard of them being flown on gaff-rigged ketches.

Atavist -- cruising chute == asymmetric spinnaker, same thing. Or perhaps you mean a "screecher" which is a similar thing but flown from a furler (usually on a cat). Don't have room for another furler up there.

This blog post of mine has a good photo of the asy in action. It's a big lump of sail and good for any winds from 5 knots to about 18 knots true.

http://sailchiarastella.blogspot.com...newcastle.html
Old 09-04-2013, 01:14 AM   #6
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

On my last vessel I had a drifter rather than a spinnaker. I was confident to fly it when sailing solo. I have always been a little anxious sailing short handed with a spinnaker and have yet to hoist the spinnaker on Sandettie. I have laid it out on the grass...It's a beautiful sail and I will give it a shot when the conditions are mild and constant.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #7
Lieutenant

Home Port: Cape Town
Default NEX 5.0 by ProFurl for Asy Sais

Reading about your snuffer downhaul line, one day when you have some spare cash and want to snuff your sail, get a ProFurl NEX system and simply roll it up and then dump it on deck and stuff it in its bag - furler and all. More info here:

NEX 5.0

Delatbabel, do not forget about a simple length of bungee cord and a couple of those plastic hooks to keep a bit of tension on the control line and prevent a tangle of the line.
John
Old 09-04-2013, 11:14 PM   #8

Unfortunately fitting a NEX is a lot more than just buying it and plonking it out there on foredeck. I would have to get my bowsprit extended, extra lines run, and the spinnaker would in fact need to be remade.

The bungee cord idea is a pretty good one though, I might try that.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:34 AM   #9
Commander

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Gone Troppo

We had the same problem with our sock, it would work fine most of the time but every now and then twisted control lines. Always at the worst possible time.
Ended up getting a RollGen, no need to modify sail. We don't always end up with a perfect furl, but it always furls good enough for us to drop it when we want to. So we tend to fly it a bit more now.

Stephen

Crowther Windspeed 36

www.gonetroppo.org
GoneTroppo is offline   Reply With Quote