Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-30-2005, 08:39 AM   #1
Ensign

Default beware of all pirate

While preparing for pirates in my preplanning I have been attacked by another type of pirate. My boat was pulled for a bottom job and a new drip-less packing the contractor went over the bid by 75% after confirming that we where on schedule. The boat was pulled and we agreed to an estimated dollar amount which I stressed I did not want to go over the pirate came back with an invoice for $1500. in additional labor. I am posting this to remind people that what we see as a passion is viewed as strictly business by others. I guess I won’t have email ability on the upcoming cruise. Still in planning mode on schedule for February 2006

Old 12-01-2005, 09:29 PM   #2
Ensign

Where is this yard? If we know then we can all avoid it and spread

the word to anyone else who is liable to go there. The only weapon we have is to boycott places where we yachties are ripped off. This BB is an ideal forum for spreading the word for both good and bad service.

Fair winds

David

Old 12-02-2005, 09:50 AM   #3
Ensign

I am hesitant to say there name however I will say Tom is a contractor who works at various boat yards in Seabrook, Texas. There is no way of knowing the contractors intentions going in to this deal. To replace the old shaft seal I was quoted three hours at $60.00. The old shaft seal was soaked in oil for the better part of a week, once the boat was pulled and the work was completed I was billed for 10 hours at $65.00 an hour. I was not present for any of the repairs and I was told Tom would send me digital pictures (never happen). The first day I was told there where blisters and there where 22 of them again I confirmed that $2,000.00 budgeted was enough to cover the work. In the end when invoiced I was told that more blisters where found and the total cost for seal and bottom job was $3,438.00. I am concerned that others having this experience would hold it against yachting in general. I figure it was my mistake for not doing the work myself. This happening just two months before I leave for a world cruise cuts into my extra equipment and embarrassed me with my family. We do what we must so I paid without hesitation, I can’t let this spoil my plans!
Old 12-05-2005, 08:37 PM   #4
Rear Admiral

Sad case - but a reflection on why it's best to demand a fixed and firm quotation and not accept only an estimation of the bill.

I'd admit it can be tough for a shipwright as jobs can take longer than first planned - but most have enough experience to get it a bit more accurate than the examples above.

With a firm quote - plus an agreement they will revert to you if it even looks like they will exceed what was agreed - at least you'll know before the moneys been spent - and not after.

Cheers

JOHN
Old 12-07-2005, 06:11 AM   #5
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Converted Post'
The boat was pulled and we agreed to an estimated dollar amount which I stressed I did not want to go over
If he ran into something he should have stopped at the agreed amount and called you....

Fact is, there is an "ideal scenario" and then there is usually the reality. I do all my own work, have to and want to, and I usually spend more time and more money than I thought I would. A cantankerous shaft coupling that should have come off in five minutes took a day, and a torch....

And it's not just boats, old cars, houses....you start into the job and there are surprises...it's the nature of the beast. A "nice" contractor would tell you up front....but then you'd be scared at the honest dollar amount and run to the cheaper guy.....who won't be cheaper in the end....not 'caus he's overcharging you, but he's guilty of underestimating to get the job....

My $0.02
Old 12-07-2005, 08:29 AM   #6
Ensign

I try to do most of my own repairs and maybe that is the reason it was such a shock, I feel “so used” to find a full third of my make ready money gone on the first purchase. I often do work that is out of my league and scope just to get the experience. In the future I will always do my own bottom. One problem with having the bottom done by a contractor is not seeing or inspecting the work. I live 200 plus mile from the boat. I thought I needed to treat myself to some professional help since time is counting down before I take the boat on a real cruise. This small tragedy changed so much in my way of thinking. The end result is something will not get purchased, I don’t know what but I’ll remove something from my list. The reason I started this thread was to get sympathy it started the healing process just to be able to share my bad experience. Of course if it helps one other person think before they get caught off guard it would be so much better.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:48 PM   #7
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

So...talking of pirates.....I just paid the equivalent of $83US for Heavy Weather Sailing through Dymock's Bookshop in Darwin. If I had ordered it through Cruiser Log....the same number of dollars would have bought me 4 of them....RATSA@%E!

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 03:47 AM   #8
Ensign

I had a similar experience to Auzzee. I bought a cruising guide to Chesapeake which was reasonably priced but it cost me a fortune in postage, more than the cost of the book. Next time I'll check out the price of the postage and packing before I pay by credit card with abandon!!

Cheers

David
Old 12-08-2005, 11:48 AM   #9
Lieutenant

Auzzee,

Did you try " Boat Books".. in Sydney or Melbourne.. dont know what they would have charged ,but they have a WWW.site

I can always assist get it if necessary here in the WORLDS MOST LIVABLE CITY

rumrunner

Melbourne, Australia.

Web: https://www.sailblogs.com/member/rumrunner/?xjMsgID=5680</font id="size1">
rumrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 12:55 PM   #10
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Thanks Rum, Dymock's ordered it from boat books for me. I only paid AU$7.00 over RRP (freight). I paid AU$107, which reflects the rip-off factor charged by that retailer based in your city....BTW, Batman, who founded Melbourne correctly described the Yarra river as "....that muddy little stream". I do think Melbourne is a pleasant city...shame it isn't in northern OZ, then it really would be nice. Dave.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote