Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 02-21-2008, 10:25 PM   #1
Ensign

I am sure this must have been covered before, but I did not find any threads.

What does everyone prefer on a cruising sailboat. Specifically brand and model. Do I need those really expensive ones or are the cheaper models good enough?

Thanks,

Tom

Old 02-21-2008, 11:02 PM   #2
Admiral

Vessel Name: Persevate
Send a message via Yahoo to atavist

It's not a bino, nor even meant to be a hand meld monocular but I like the leopold 3x9x40 rifle scope. they are extremely rugged and have adjustable zoom... I've never liked binos, i just never can seem to get a good image and end up closing one eye or holding it sideways.

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
atavist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:07 PM   #3
Admiral

Hello Tom,

I like my Pentax 10 x 24 - small - gas filled - still perfect after 10 years use.

However, 10 power goes against the commonly accepted Maximum recommended 7 power on the principle that any power higher than 7 is harder to control a steady image on a moving boat.

Not sure that my use predominantly on a multy-hull makes a better platform for the higher power.

Some of the VERY expensive eg.. Zeiss, Fujinon, Steiner, Swarovski, Leica, Brunton,etc. in the power range of 7 and field of 50 are in the >>> 1,000 $ US bracket - Too Expensive !!

I sailed recently with friend whose 7x50 Nikon Sports and Marine IF Marine Binocular

[N1013D] was very good value << 300$US.

I prefer a hand-held fluxgate digital compass like the Autohelm Personal Compass to take bearings and store them rather than the compass fitted on binoculars. My Waterproof Tasco 7 x 50 with compass - could be taken for a Steiner - compass no longer works, left hand eyepiece has a lens element fungus, so much for "waterproof" (get what you pay for!)

Richard
Old 02-22-2008, 12:09 AM   #4
Wanabee

Home Port: Wirral

Drifting off a bit I know but I've been trying to get hold of an Autohelm or other handheld fluxgate compasses for years without succes. Are they still available? Has anyone got one for sale?

See ya!
Old 02-22-2008, 12:21 AM   #5
Admiral

Twenty years ago we bought a pair of Steiner 7 X 50 binocs. Rubber housing, waterproof, excellent. We did not get the ones with the compass in it, and have never missed it. Less expensive than the Fujinon, but not cheap.

In 2000 the rubber covering of the binocs was really, really worn, and they needed cleaning and a complete overhaul. I called Pioneer Research, the US distributor and arranged for the work to be done. I got an email from them saying that if I wanted, they would provide us with a completely new pair, take the old ones in trade, and we would have to pay $250.00. I accepted their deal and am delighted.

Three years ago, when we bought this boat, it came with a pair of West Marine 7 X 50 binoculars, which are a piece of garbage. I couldn't see anything through them, and Peter has difficulty with them. We've gotten rid of them, they were so bad.

Sometimes I think I'd like to try bird watching binocs, 6 X 40 with a zoom to 10 X 40, but I'm too cheap to spend that kind of money just to try them.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 02:40 AM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Owen View Post
Drifting off a bit I know but I've been trying to get hold of an Autohelm or other handheld fluxgate compasses for years without succes. Are they still available? Has anyone got one for sale?

See ya!
Peter, I think Raymarine dropped the Autohelm Personal Compass when they took over Autohelm

WHAT a Pity - a very good instrument to have on board.

Check this UK - URL - it still maybe be available. :- http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUTOHELM-RAYMARINE-P...1QQcmdZViewItem

Richard
Old 02-22-2008, 02:56 AM   #7
Commander

Home Port: Puerto Montt
Vessel Name: Westerly Serenade

Fujinon Polaris 7x50s (WM price $630)...good enough for the US Coastguard, Good enough for the Armada de Chile.. Good enough for me.........

I've had mine for about 12 years and use them both in the day job and on my boat... excellent optics... best binos I have ever used

If that is too expensive then any good name (Nikon etc) 7 x 50.

The company used to provide Tasco 7 x 50s with tinted lens... v cheap - under $100 .. they were quite good but we were replacing them ever year or so as they could not withstand being dropped by clumsy matelots.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:10 AM   #8
Wanabee

Home Port: Wirral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
Peter, I think Raymarine dropped the Autohelm Personal Compass when they took over Autohelm

WHAT a Pity - a very good instrument to have on board.

Check this UK - URL - it still maybe be available. :- http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUTOHELM-RAYMARINE-P...1QQcmdZViewItem

Richard
Isn't that just typical - you give up for a moment and one turns up only to have just been sold. Don't know whether to start looking again with new hope or simply break down and cry!

Thanks for the thought; see ya!
Old 02-22-2008, 01:35 PM   #9
Ensign

Thanks for the replies. Has anyone ever tried the ones Defender sells under their name? They are designed by Fujinon, but much less expensive.

Tom
Old 02-22-2008, 05:04 PM   #10
Admiral

I think that what is good for one person might be impossible to see through for another. At least, that's the way it seems on this boat. Peter has little trouble using any binocular, though even he was quick to get rid of the West Marine cheapies. I seem to have more difficulty and have the least trouble with the higher end binocs.

Your best bet might be to try the Defender binocs and if you have no trouble with them, well, great. If you find that they are not what you want, return them. It's a bit more of an expense, perhaps, but unless you are close enough to go to the Defender store, this might be your best bet.

Looking at options nowadays, I think I'd like stabilized binocs, but are they pricey!

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 01:00 AM   #11
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mitchell View Post
Thanks for the replies. Has anyone ever tried the ones Defender sells under their name? They are designed by Fujinon, but much less expensive.

Tom
Tom,

Also in Defender - they have a Steiner (remember Jeanne's experience !) at a really good price and a 10 year guarantee :

Waterproof and shockproof.

Nitrogen pressurized.

Guaranteed to outperform any other binocular in this price category!

Specifications

7x50 - Steiner Item no. 575.

Weight: 37 oz.

Field of view: 354 ft. @ 1,000 Yds.

Eye relief: 22mm

Features 10 year limited warranty.

Includes carry/storage case

Click image for larger version

Name:	Steiner_299.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	356
Old 02-23-2008, 01:52 AM   #12
Ensign

I've got a pair of Steiner 7x50s with compass. Nice, compact pair of Binocs. The compass is really great for taking bearings for those who look at other than our GPS.

Recently got a deal on a pair of Fujinon Techno-Stabi 14x40 stabilized binoculars. They are amazing. Without the stabilization, they are difficult to hold on target because of the 14 power magnification. Switch on the stabilization and you can zero in on the fine print from a mile or more away. We are probably 4-5 miles from the water yet I can see individuals on boats, identify the types and almost read the names on the transom from our house. Switching between the 7x50s and the Fujinons is an eye opener. The Fujinons are easier to hold on target with the stabilization than the lower power but non stabilized Steiners. The detail and clarity that you get with the higher power is almost like the difference between the naked eye and a pair of 7x50s.

Two negatives of the Fujinons are they are a bit heavier than the Steiners and they require batteries for the stabilization. The weight hasn't bothered me for the uses I've put them to but wouldn't want to stand for more than 15 minutes gazing through them. Battery operating life is advertised at 3 hours which doesn't seem to be a problem as you don't have the stabilization on for long periods in most instances.

The Fujinons are also relabled and sold as Nikons. The Nikons are about a $100 more and don't come with the Pelican case. Other than the label, they are identical as far as I can tell.

Keep an eye on Ebay for used ones, if you don't like there 1 'boat unit' new price. Believe they haven't upgraded the model for at least the past 4 years so don't be afraid of one a few years old.

Aloha

Peter O.

Pa'akai O'o, Pearson 35 #108
Old 03-07-2008, 11:39 AM   #13
Lieutenant

<div align='center'></div>My Tasco 7 x 50 s lasted 6 years and stillworked perfectly, before being stole by Iranian fishermen in the Indian Ocean while we were caught in their 7 mile long floating nets.

steelfan is offline   Reply With Quote