Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 04-27-2008, 05:01 AM   #1
Ensign

I am new to this board and fairly new to sailing. I am currently considering the purchase of my first boat and would like some input from some of you experienced cruisers. The extent of my sailing experience has been mostly in calm seas aboard a friend's C&C 99. My friend loves his boat and, of course, suggests that I purchase a C&C as well. I have not been aboard any other boats so I have no frame of reference.

I am looking for a 32-34' boat capable of bluewater cruising but also one that is kind to a learning sailor. I intend to use this boat to hone my skills on weekends and gradually take longer trips as my skills improve. The ultimate goal is to do some Caribbean and possibly farther cruising in a few seasons when I feel I am ready and my schedule permits. So basically I am looking for a boat that will be suitable for learning but seaworthy enough to go where ever I want down the road. I looked at a Cal 34 yesterday that I liked, any opinions on this boat or any others would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:19 AM   #2
Admiral

Bound to be plenty of ideas, if you supply little more input as to the type of rig - eg sloop, ketch schooner - cutter. aft or centre cockpit , on average how many people will sleep on board,

a rough $ price range etcccc......

With that kind of information in hand = much easier to advise/comment.

Welcome to the forum.

Richard

PS here's a picture of Wayne Beardsley's Cal 34 - S/V Vertago

Click image for larger version

Name:	vertago.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	423

Old 04-27-2008, 05:01 PM   #3
Ensign

My only real criteria is I want a boat that 2 people can easily sail. I'm not real familiar with the advantages/disadvantages of each boat design so I really wouldn't want to narrow it down. I would prefer a single hull since that is what I am familiar with. I want a boat that has stability and reliability rather than one that may be faster. I am looking for something around $20-40K. As I said, I don't intend on taking it anywhere far for a while so I don't mind a boat that would need some repairs.

Any input will help me to learn and to make a better decision.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:48 PM   #4
Rear Admiral

My basic suggestion is always the same. Go to Yachtworld.com, or another site, and do some comparison looking. The pictures will give you an idea of interior layout, or lack of it. For the money you mention you can either sailaway, or find a boat that needs some TLC. You will find a huge variety of boats within your price range. Welcome to the sad, but sorry addiction of sailing. Once in your blood it is hard to quit..........lololol

My personal like for a rig is a cutter. Especially if the staysail is roller furling also. Also reefing from the cockpit is good. Going on deck in snotty weather can be avoided. BEST WISHES in finding something to fit you..........