Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-15-2007, 03:59 PM   #15

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

PS I didn't talk about comm equipment, because you can spend as much or as little as you want keeping in touch with the world from simple VHF, a SSB, on up. The same with radar. The Rawson doesn't have it and we'd put something on, but it would depend on funds how "fancy" the system we fancied would be We have good safety, life boat equipment, but you can spend quite a bit getting into harness, liferaft or lifeboat, EPIRB, emergency watermaker, etc.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 03:04 PM   #16
Rear Admiral

Home Port: Hamburg GER
Vessel Name: Aquaria

Hi Lotta,

a late welcome from the Elbe estuary!

most has been said, nice boats were mentioned, like the Havsfidras, but the performance of the Storfidra is much better than that of the little Havsfidra, which is a VERY nice small sturdy boat, but VERY slow.

And it is already said that the ability to go to windward is not so good on two keels as on the Leisure you were looking at.

The speakhugger is the opposite: fast, good sailing performance and good at sea as some great blue water trips demontrate. Some Danes have been at sea on a speakhugger on different occasions - both, with the racing version and the more spacious family version. You might have already taken a look at "Prins Henrik on the WWW and the seven seas" - it is the second ocean sailing trip,two guys from Copenhagen do on a Spaekhugger-family (and they did two more atlantic crossing on the sport-version earlier, taking their speakhugger nonstop from New York to Falmouth!).

And here is still another boat worth mentioning: The International Folkboat (IFBoat) from Sweden. It has the character of the traditional folkboat (well known and all over in Denmark!) but is a little bigger with more room under deck, built out of fiberglass and many of them have an inboard engine.

Well, now it's winter here in Northern Europe. At least four more months time to look at different boats and to talk to their owners and for more specific advice here one the forum...

Cheers

Uwe

SY AQUARIA

More on my Centurion 32:
http://www.cabinetdeparodontologie.n...ria/index.html
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Germany, Background, Cruising/Sailing the German Bight
Aquaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:20 AM   #17
Ensign

Thank you everyone for helping.

I am going to try and do some cruising as crew first to get experience. This should help me decide what boat I must get.

Lots of love to all of you.

Lotta from Danmark!
Old 01-08-2008, 06:10 AM   #18
Commander

Home Port: Puerto Montt
Vessel Name: Westerly Serenade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
A few other designs are also worth mentioning, such as the British Vertue (somewhat dated) ...........

Aye // Stephen
Fizzzz... pop... splutter...harrumph...etc.... 'somewhat dated'????? We aren't talking about kitchen decor here... the Vertue is one of the finest small cruising boats ever designed.. never mind that the design is over 70 years old.... best of them are those with the 'long range cruising' deckhouse same as Icebird... the ones with the small ports instead of those big picture windows which were only put on the poor boat so it would appeal to americans...... fizz pop splutter etc.......
Old 01-08-2008, 06:43 AM   #19
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post
Fizzzz... pop... splutter...harrumph...etc.... fizz pop splutter etc.......
Don't know what you have been drinking Frank but I would like some of it

No, I was not being derogatory about the Vertue. It is a fantastic class of boats but not really just out of the box. As you get to know me then you will surely realise that I very much favour traditional craft and solutions which have evolved through experience and, yes, trial and error rather than all bells and whistles stuff built to all possible rules known to man except perhaps that of common sense. The big panorama windows you mentioned being an example of this.

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:29 AM   #20
Commander

Home Port: Puerto Montt
Vessel Name: Westerly Serenade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
. It is a fantastic class of boats but not really just out of the box. As you get to know me then you will surely realise that I very much favour traditional craft and solutions which have evolved through experience and, yes, trial and error rather than all bells and whistles stuff built to all possible rules known to man except perhaps that of common sense. The big panorama windows you mentioned being an example of this.

Aye // Stephen
Yep the big doghouse , which I think first appeared on 'Vertue XXXV' , was in my opinion a backward step..... catering to the market.

Trouble with Vertues these days is mainly the age of the individual boats. Mine was 1960 built in Fremantle with Jarrah below the waterline, Oregon/ Douglas Fir above all on Karri frames .. she will last a 1000 years if looked after...I may have to buy her back one day......

Salud

Frank
Old 01-08-2008, 10:25 AM   #21
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotta View Post
Thank you everyone for helping.

I am going to try and do some cruising as crew first to get experience. This should help me decide what boat I must get.

Lots of love to all of you.

Lotta from Danmark!
Good Decision Lotta!

Enjoy! Sailing is great, crewing and skippering alike!

Fair winds

Magnus

To be happy for a month - get married

To be happy for a lifetime - get a sailboat
maxiswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:52 PM   #22
Ensign

Lotta, what you need is a Biaca 27, it's safe, (no-one talks of this yet with you!), it's roomy, bit slow but beautiful, roomy, stylistic and quite a good price. Get your kroners together and lay them out, it's worth it. It will see you thru the worst storm and give pleasure in hard sailing. It will never turn over and take all the wind it can be given. Don't bob-bob either. I never owned one, but I admire them always when I see them fly by in hard weather, trods alt!

Have a look in the www.scanboats.com, or www.denblaaavis.dk, and read this well, see how far down the list this little boat is in staying power and sturdyness! Do not give too much for one...compare, wait for the right price, don't buy from a bearded old man, buy from an amature who sells quick. Watch out for osmose. Get a good tjekover!

read: http://www.signal.uu.se/Staff/el/pers/boats/csf.html

take care

Rojaroja
Old 01-09-2008, 06:45 AM   #23
Ensign

Yes. Thank you.

This looks like a nice boat - and made in Danmark too (like me )

I will try to look at one of these soon. There must be many here on Jylland.

Lotta
Old 01-10-2008, 06:06 PM   #24
Ensign

Great boat, I would assume that the simple reason it has not been mentioned before, is that it is priced a little higher..

To be happy for a month - get married

To be happy for a lifetime - get a sailboat
maxiswede is offline   Reply With Quote