Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-19-2013, 10:53 PM   #1
Commander

Send a message via MSN to Qldcruiser
Default Brisbane to Noumea?

Hi Guys,

Can I get some pro's and cons of a three week trip to and from Noumea in late September/October.

I know it is late in the season but looking for something to landmark Annette's fiftieth birthday. She hasn't done a major offshore trip and this seems the most practical journey to give her a taste on.

Cheers
Rob & Annette
S/V Blue Lady

Old 08-21-2013, 05:33 AM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Not familiar with your cruising grounds so can only say:

Go for it sounds like a wonderful thing to do! Hopefully someone with some local knowledge comes along soon with more answers for you.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:09 AM   #3
Rear Admiral

We did it in August from Brisbane in our 33' double ender Mico although we ended up at the top end of New Cal at Huon Reef and then continued up to the Banks Islands in Vanuatu before coming back down around the bottom and into Noumea. Drop us an email and I'll send our passage notes. We had a bit of a slog to windward all the way for 13 days but it was not overly uncomfortable - just a bit on the cool side. Mico only had a dodger and a light bimini cover so we got a bit damp on a few occasions. Her cutter rig was great for running so close, when a number of the other vessels, who left at the same time, could only make Chesterfield Reef as they found the angle too shy.
We're going to miss Mico's windward sailing ability as Australis II is more comfortable on a beam reach and sorely needs an inner staysail for heading upwind - something we are saving our pennies for. Given that I've just spent a fortune on hull work and 3 months in Borneo (initially only a two week trip planned) - she may have to wait till next year for that as I've also just ordered a new set of glass matt batteries and a new RIB to replace the brand new one I lost overboard sailing down from Kudat in some massive seas (stay tuned for a report of Australis's Borneo haulout saga - coming to a cinema near you!)

If anyone is sailing down from Palawan and comes across a mint condition dinghy bobbing about all alone - its mine and we'll gladly reimburse and reward you for dropping into the marina in Kota Kinabalu and just leaving it on our back deck

Fair winds,

Mico/Australis
Old 08-26-2013, 11:23 PM   #4
Ocean Senior Sailor

Home Port: Auckland

Go before October 2013 and return to be safe. Global warming is happening with disaster weather 2013.

http://www.sail-search.com/cgi-bin/pseek/rateit.cgi?id=22286&cid=15

Tags
brisbane