Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-27-2013, 10:37 PM   #41
Lieutenant

Default Airline tickets adding to the cost...

So sundries add to the cost of cruising ?
Airline tickets adding to the disqualifying required bloated cruising budget...?

Whisper....come closer....
A buddy of mine, ahem, works for a very prominent world wide service airline...with cough, cough...buddy passes, as in standby tickets....cough, cough.

Have the wife and him on board for a week in some exotic cruising ground, and you will be happy...he promises....cough, cough.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:54 PM   #42
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbopeep View Post
Agree with you Auzzee Lin and Larry would blow that advice right outta the water! Oh...and I forgot to mention the 2000 amphrs of batteries, inverter(s), and charging systems needed to support all those electronic...nor the awesome fire suppression system, bilge pumps, and the gourmet galley just like home....oh, and then there's the private head with shower for each stateroom, a bathtub for the owners' suite...and yes, it must be a "suite" not just a stateroom! Well, perhaps instead of the high lat aluminum monohull, the best thing for the potential cruiser is to get into a big multihull so they have have all their space, just like home, and privacy from their guests, just like home. Yes, that's the ticket--it must be "just like home" but able to go anywhere on a whim, world-wide
I think you're skimping on some of the essentials there. They also need bow thrusters, a PADI diver's licence, Ham licence, and probably a complete sailing course of at least six months before even thinking of leaving shore.

They should also be reminded how rough it gets out there, and the horrors and incurability of sea sickness. Yes, this should definitely help.

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:15 PM   #43
GOF

Home Port: Mandurah
Vessel Name: Eleuthera

Bugger me...So My little old plotter, sextant, compass and charts do'nt cut it any more. I,ll be sure to inform the boat.
But i updated the old girl this year as well ( getting older) Swapped out the Barlow 20's single speed mast winches for a younger set of two speed Maxwells.
Oh keeping up is so hard to do....Woe is me....LOL.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:33 PM   #44
Ensign

Home Port: coos bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsquizzy View Post
Bugger me...So My little old plotter, sextant, compass and charts do'nt cut it any more. I,ll be sure to inform the boat.
But i updated the old girl this year as well ( getting older) Swapped out the Barlow 20's single speed mast winches for a younger set of two speed Maxwells.
Oh keeping up is so hard to do....Woe is me....LOL.
I know the feeling, I update my wenches often as well as they don't seem to hold up like they used too. Two speed?...mine have always been one speed, fast..
Old 12-01-2013, 08:41 AM   #45
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

These days I prefer slow wenches.

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:28 PM   #46
Ensign

Home Port: coos bay

[...sumtimes slower is better. Gives one the opportunity to feel accurately preventing the application of too much torq
Old 01-10-2014, 04:00 AM   #47
Commander

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Gone Troppo

Lots of good points mentioned. I have noticed over the years that the boat makes the biggest difference to the budget.
The choice of boat some people make has led to a few going from having a budget to cruise on, to budget cruising, or having to sell up and go back to work. They have either chosen a boat that is way too big/expensive for their budget or have a boat that was not built for the way they are using it. This happens because of the belief that bigger or the well advertised brand is safer. Sometimes the boat is chosen not by the experienced sailor but by the partner who has no interest in sailing and will not go unless it is on that big expensive boat that will impress friends.
The higher the cost of the boat the higher the annual maintenance and insurance cost, and if you have just spent half your capital on the boat you will want to insure it. Also the worry factor goes up according to the cost and the enjoyment goes down.

Stephen

Crowther Windspeed 36

www.gonetroppo.org
GoneTroppo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising