Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-19-2011, 02:22 PM   #21
Captain, Sailboat Reboot

Home Port: None
Vessel Name: Reboot
Send a message via AIM to svReboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbiesailor View Post

hello all, i'm new to this board and new to cruising....

we bought our first boat, 37 feet .... and off soon.

now i would like some advise from other sailors. as we are on a budget ... we need some setup for navigation. i have 500 $ to spend, have a laptop already.
You might find my answer strange. If I had $500 and only $500 I would purchase an AIS transceiver. IMHO the two biggest dangers in sailing are running aground and being run over (once for me, and one close call.) I presume you have some form of depth sounder. Why an AIS? An AIS transceiver will provide both a safety advantage (the big guys can see you) and also contains an GPS so you know where you are.

I have found that charts of any type (e.g. ENC, paper) are quite expensive. ENC coverage is free and exceptional in the USA - in the rest of the world not so much. Some passages (e.g. the St. Lawrence Seaway) require you to carry paper charts. The Seaway set costs several hundred dollars - that is why there are at least one if not more "hand me down" sets available most of the time on this site. Add to the mix "cruising guides." In the USA these are frequently marina and restaurant listings. In other places they are literally necessary. An example would be navigating the Yucatan Straight from the Gulf to Guatemala. The charts are terrible, the hazards numerous. Remember too that electronic charts, like paper charts, are no better than the underlying data. Many areas have not been surveyed in decades, in some cases more than a century. It looks all neat and clean on an electronic chart plotter until you anchor and find out that the chart has you 3 miles inland. A cruising guide provides waypoints and instructions from people who typically have navigated the area, in some cases multiple times. An area cruising guide might go $50. For an extended trip you might need several guides.

One last thought. You say that you are new to cruising and this is a new boat. I would spend some time in known and protected waters sorting out what you absolutely need to have and what is optional or not necessary. I distance raced Reboot for five seasons before retiring and cruising full time. I assumed that there was nothing new I needed to purchase. Wow was I wrong.

Best wishes on your new boat, and may you have a joyful cruising life.

Fair winds and following seas.

Web Site: https://www.sailboatreboot.com
Blog:https://blog.sailboatreboot.com
svReboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 01:06 AM   #22
Lieutenant

Home Port: Gisborne
Vessel Name: Balaena Bay

Hi Redbopeep, hey no worries , that storms gone by. Thanks for being so sweet in response to my angst.

I read you were sailing around the Danish coast Uwe so just thought. I'm born in Hjorring so maybe my ancestors were the rascals that raided.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:05 PM   #23
Rear Admiral

Home Port: Hamburg
Vessel Name: Aquaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by danblu View Post

Hi Redbopeep, hey no worries , that storms gone by. Thanks for being so sweet in response to my angst.

I read you were sailing around the Danish coast Uwe so just thought. I'm born in Hjorring so maybe my ancestors were the rascals that raided.
HjΓΈrring in Northwest Denmark, close to the North Sea shore with the harbour of Hirtshals just north! Rough sailing out there in the Skagerrak . And the Vikings sailed not just the Baltic Sea and the North Sea, but also the North Atlantic to Iceland, Greenland and even Newfoundland. Without charts and GPS.Great navigators!!!

Guess, for them it was just an "afternoon sail" down the North Sea shore, up the Elbe estuary, tying up in front of the Hammaburg fortification and running over it . At least the Bishop was able to escape to Bremen... and never came back, if I remember my history lessons right.

Uwe

SY Aquaria

More on my Centurion 32:
https://www.cabinetdeparodontologie.n...ria/index.html
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Germany, Background, Cruising/Sailing the German Bight
Aquaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:52 AM   #24
Lieutenant

Home Port: Gisborne
Vessel Name: Balaena Bay

Yes Uwe, some Vikings are still using very similar technology. Me.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:33 AM   #25
Ensign

Home Port: La Paz
Default World charts

FYI - I found a 52gb file on the internet with all sorts of charts from the world...just happened to be perusing the web and lo !

I'm not recommending anyone download anything illegal - just that it was there

Kiloran in La Paz at the moment

Tags
chartplotter, gps, navigation