Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-25-2013, 12:59 AM   #21
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
After I spend some time in the Sea of Cortez and south along the coast of the isthmus to some of the South American countries, I will once again sally forth across the big blue. The likelihood of sailing in the Pacific Northwest is remote indeed.

However, as a lifelong lover of the motorcycling lifestyle, it is my firm intention to ride from Seattle to San Diego within the next 12 months. So many friends and aquaintances, have given me to believe it is a wonderful trip.

I often wonder what I would do if the god of having a load of fun, presented me with a choice between riding and sailing. I honestly don't know which I would ultimately choose. Thankfully, for the moment I am able to indulge myself in both pursuits.
I suggest that you stick to sailing. I too love riding motorcycles but as you get older the reflexes are not as good as they once were. The eyesight is not as good and many older bike riders get in trouble. There is a lot of traffic in California and its not road that you are familiar with. It just takes one bad driver to cut in front of you or make a left hand turn and you are in trouble.
I don't even like to drive a car in California traffic. If I was to take a motorcycle ride it would be across Canada and through Bamff not California.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:28 AM   #22
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

I am not, as yet in my dotage!

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:57 AM   #23
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
An ex-bareboat can be a very bad purchase. There are innumerable things which could be wrong that even the best surveyor cannot detect. Bareboat fleet operators may have mediocre mechanics, electricians and riggers, but their cosmetic glass repair people are some of the best in the industry. I have seen and heard of people who have gotten into ex-bareboats only to end up with a vessel that is absolutely worthless after serious faults were found.
There are, on the other hand numerous cruising boats here in the Caribbean, that for one reason or another, are for sale at an extremely reasonable price that have never been bareboats. Perhaps the owner ran out of money, couldn't afford a new motor, had a death in the family, became ill themselves or their partner just didn't like sailing.
However, if it is your intention to use the boat in the PNW, the voyage from the Caribbean to the PNW is not for the faint of heart. I would not do that delivery for less than 20 or 25 grand, ALL expenses on top of that figure.
Many of us are cruising 20 to 30 year old quality boats. Of course there are maintenance issues, but that will not necessarily be untrue of a more modern, lower quality vessel.
I suggest you look through a Caribbean Compass, our local monthly newspaper, and check out what's available here.
Good luck with whatever path you choose.
Actually just walking the beach in the PNW is dangerous. Every year people get swept away by waves. The water is cold and you don't last very long in the water. A couple of years ago a man took his bride-to-be a young girl from the Philippians to the beach to per-pose to her. A big wave came in and he lost his grip on her hand. He saw her being pulled to sea and he pulled his sweater off over his head to go after her. But the next time he looked she was gone and he never saw her again. Don't turn your back on the Pacific Ocean at the Oregon coast.

It used to be called "the grave yard of the Pacific" but now with GPS navigation there are not many boats and ships that end up on the beach or the rocks.

I do not intend to go back there and play around in the PNW there are places to sail in the north Puget sound and all the way to Alaska on the inland passage but it cold there.

Your boat a Pearson 53 looks like it is a deep draft heavy boat do you have problems with the deep draft? The bar at Rio Dulce Guatemala is only five or six feet at high tide.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:15 PM   #24
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
An ex-bareboat can be a very bad purchase. There are innumerable things which could be wrong that even the best surveyor cannot detect. Bareboat fleet operators may have mediocre mechanics, electricians and riggers, but their cosmetic glass repair people are some of the best in the industry. I have seen and heard of people who have gotten into ex-bareboats only to end up with a vessel that is absolutely worthless after serious faults were found.
Serious problems with a boat that you can't see, touch or feel that even the best surveyor cannot detect sounds kind of spooky. Maybe I should hire a psychic to find the problems.

How about this one. http://www.yachtworld.com/privatelab...slim=pp237992&
Old 08-28-2013, 01:46 AM   #25
Lieutenant

Home Port: Weeki Wachee, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWhylton View Post
Serious problems with a boat that you can't see, touch or feel that even the best surveyor cannot detect sounds kind of spooky. Maybe I should hire a psychic to find the problems.

How about this one. Moorings Yacht Brokerage (Dania Beach, FL)
I asked a similar question awhile back:
http://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/f12/beneteau-7714.html
Old 08-29-2013, 10:42 AM   #26
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Cruiser View Post
I asked a similar question awhile back:
http://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/f12/beneteau-7714.html
So what is your point Cowboy?
Old 08-29-2013, 10:58 AM   #27
Lieutenant

The post contains feedback on the same series of Beneteau boats as you requested feedback on. I though that you were seeking information, if I was incorrect, please disregard it was "pointless"!
Old 08-29-2013, 11:12 AM   #28
Ensign

Quote:
The post contains feedback on the same series of Beneteau boats as you requested feedback on. I though that you were seeking information, if I was incorrect, please disregard it was "pointless"!
Why don't you post comments about the boat? I am just trying to get a dialog going here. I think its a great deal and I don't believe in "ghost" problems Bigfoot or Santa Claus.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:33 AM   #29
Lieutenant

Quote:
Why don't you post comments about the boat? I am just trying to get a dialog going here. I think its a great deal and I don't believe in "ghost" problems Bigfoot or Santa Claus.
I provided a link to another related thread on this forum for you to either choose to click on or not. I will leave the rest of the ghost and goblin stuff for you to ponder alone!
Old 08-29-2013, 12:22 PM   #30
Ensign

Quote:
I provided a link to another related thread on this forum for you to either choose to click on or not. I will leave the rest of the ghost and goblin stuff for you to ponder alone!
So what do you think about boats do you like them? Why don't you just say something even if its wrong? Don't be afraid.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:05 PM   #31
Ensign

After looking into the used boat market I think buying a x charter boat can be a great deal. Keep in mind an x charter boat does not have gear on it like extra sails, water-makers, solar panels, wind generators and other good stuff that a private owner might have. The charter boats are not blue water cruisers so you will have to get safety equipment. But I have yet to find a used private boat that did not say the life raft was out of date and needed to be repacked.

Going to the BVI and to purchase the boat is another expense its going to take about three weeks or more going through the process. You make an offer negotiate give them a deposit and pay for a survey. Rooms and food on the BVI is not cheap think at least two hundred a day and more. Think about it as a vacation in the BVI.

There are three companys chartering boats in the virgin islands all owned by the same people. Its ludicrous to suggest that they would purposely make shoddy repairs. When a boat breaks down they have to go rescue the boat and customer at their expense and provide another boat to the customer. The charter boats are regularly maintained on a schedule and repair records of each boat is kept. Request the records and you can look back and see what was done.

You can buy a 2007 boat for the same money or less than a thirty year old private boat. All the electronics will be modern and best of all the boat design will be modern. Obviously you have to do your do diligence get a survey and personally examine the boat. If you find problems you can negotiate to have it fixed.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:51 PM   #32

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:

You can buy a 2007 boat for the same money or less than a thirty year old private boat. All the electronics will be modern and best of all the boat design will be modern. Obviously you have to do your do diligence get a survey and personally examine the boat. If you find problems you can negotiate to have it fixed.
DW,

I've always thought that one can cruise on just about any boat out there--being careful to choose the weather and local conditions best suited to the vessel. So it really is a matter of individual taste/desire and budget, when all is said and done. Our own vessel is a far, far cry from a new charter boat--but suits our purposes quite well: it was originally built for short-handed cruising in high latitudes and being a classic pre-WWII boat, it also carries a style that I greatly value.

I believe many boats with good reputations as "cruising boats" 30 and 40 years old have held their value amazingly well. Depending upon methods of construction and maintenance/use/care given to the boat it can last a very long time.

A boat starts out with whatever capabilities it was designed to have and, well, generally goes downhill from there until a major refit or rebuild is completed. A 30 y.o. boat with a recent rebuild might be an amazingly good deal whereas a 6 y.o. boat heavily used and close to being in need of refit may not be such a great deal. I agree that it's always nice to get new electronics and not to end up paying for something that you don't value--like someone's old electroics.

Another way of looking at things--you can't turn a Jeanneau into a Hallberg Rassy. What do I mean? I have a dear friend who was more-or-less afraid of sailing around in her (new) husband's 30 year old Halberg Rassey. He'd had the boat for years before they married but she was one of those people who believed new is always better than old. She just wasn't comfortable cruising in a boat that wasn't "new". They couldn't afford a new HR (looking at over $1M for a replacement of their 30 y.o. boat) so they bought a new Jeanneau Sun ODdessey for a bit under $300K in 2005/6. She was happy with the new boat. Now, she just sold it in 2012. Why? Ah, because as it turns out she really liked the way the 30 y.o. HR sailed, the quality, and felt the Jeanneau wasn't a comparable vessel even though she says it was a much prettier boat because it was new and the experience of living aboard at anchor/marina was wonderful because it was so much more open/spacious. On the other hand, in a nasty seaway, she felt unsafe in the new boat as she'd been thrown across the cabin a couple times. That wouldn't have happened because of the layout of the older HR they owned. She's now on the lookout for another HR (or similar blue water vessel) to replace the one they sold. My friend's cruising was in Scandinavia and Northern Europe. If she'd been in the Caribbean, perhaps it would have been different--who knows.

So--figuring out what someone wants in terms of a cruising experience--what sort of boat will fit the bill? Then, after figuring that one out, deciding if a used charter vessel will work makes sense. Else, it seems to me to be cart-before-the-horse.

This does all lead me back to the beginning statement of you can cruise on just about anything Just figure out what you want and why--then make it happen. Remember, its not all about money/cost but rather about what you want to do with the boat.

Fair winds,

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, bvi, charter