Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-23-2012, 02:07 AM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Cali
Default buying a boat from tuimarinebrokerage who sells boats from SUNSAIL in BVI

Dear Friends,

I need references about this brokeragefirm Exclusive In-House Brokerage Offices and who has experience buying boats from them? They sell charterboats who have been in rental so what is your experience about there service on the boats, did they deliver a boat in good shape. Please send me all your experiences if you have bought a boat from them. This because I am negotiating with them to buy my first biat.

Thanks for yout atention,

Jan

Old 08-04-2012, 03:51 AM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

Ask them for references.

Rob

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:16 AM   #3
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

There is no substitute for an effective survey, conducted by a qualified and well credentialled marine surveyor. If the survey shows the boat meets your needs as regards seaworthiness, all you then need is guarantee of title, free of encumberances.

The broker may or may not offer decent after sales service, but generally will give little. I have recently had the reason to deal on a casual basis with twenty to thirty brokers. My impressions are generally not good regarding the industry as a result.

In some cases brokers who deal in ex-charter boats are part of the charter company itself and will offer a true description of the boats they are selling and will do all in their power to enhance the name of the parent company. Best of luck with your dealings and as long as you keep a sharp eye out, and ask for definitive answers to all of your questions, you should be okay

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:27 AM   #4
Lieutenant

Home Port: Cheyenne, WY
Vessel Name: CAREFREE
Send a message via Skype™ to gts1544

Jan, We have a "Group" Beneteau 41' that we base in Tortola that needs an insurance survey every two years. We have used Mr. Geoffrey Williams for the last decade and can highly recommend him. I am sure that he could give you some insight as to the brokerage firm as well. Mention "REGGAE"

Geoff Williams.
West Indies Marine Surveyors Ltd.,
Postal Address: P.O. Box 3168, Road Town, Tortola VG1110, British Virgin Islands.
Tel: (284) 494 0772 - Tortola
Cel: (284) 542 1642 - Tortola
Fax: 1-267 697 5731
Cel: (33) 6 65 34 27 44 - France
E-mail: geoff@westindiesmarinesurveyors.com
Web: www.westindiesmarinesurveyors.com

Hope that this is of some help, gts1544 / George
Old 08-14-2012, 05:34 AM   #5
Lieutenant

Home Port: the boat
Vessel Name: Skipping Stone
Default buying a bareboat

Be VERY careful buying a boat that has come out of a bareboat fleet.
Most, though you might get lucky, are trashed; very well abused by charterers who either didn't care or know any better.
In this economy, the bareboat companies have lowered their standards as to who can take out a bareboat without a "captain" to just about anybody.
I have delivered many, many "out of term" bareboats from the Virgins back to the states and not one was a trouble free, pleasant sail.
This is truly a buyer's market so you probably could find a much less abused vessel for the same money, with a bit of time and patience.
facebook.com/svskippingstone
capta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:03 AM   #6
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

I have two stories about ex-charter fleet purchases. An aquaintance in Fiji bought an ex-Moorings, 36' sloop. Great boat, well maintained though a little cosmetically 'tired' rather than shabby. He spent a few dollars and made it a very nice craft.

A friend bought a nice Benny from a Mediterranean charter fleet. Very good price, very nice looking craft and on the surface an almost unbelievably good buy for what appeared a spectacularly well found boat. It had been cleared by a licensed marine surveyor.

A rigger was employed to tune the rig as the new owner noted a high degree of slack in the port cap shroud when close hauled. A new survey with this in mind proved that the grid used to strengthen and stiffen Bennies had parted from the hull. The boat obviously had suffered a serious impact which, though it didn't crack the hull, caused the aforementioned separation.

This is a major problem as the only way the bond can be remade, is by removing the inbuilt moulded furniture. This means the boat, whilst looking good, has become an almost complete write off. It is a 2002 Oceanis 41 (or 42..not sure). It was for sale at an ever reducing price before finally being sold for $23K. It cost $58K.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:44 AM   #7
Ensign

Home Port: Cali

Thanks All for the recomendations, for sure I will contact Geoff in Tortola. As I can read in your answers there are both good as bad experiences. IŽll have to find a good marine surveyor and a trustworthy person on the spot. Still think the charterboat companies, and isles wher the most are, write offs are the best sites to look for a boat as you have a lot to choose from. Every new recomendation is welcome as I plan to ravel to Tortola in a few weeks.

Greetz,

Jan

Tags
bvi