Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-02-2005, 09:54 PM   #1
Ensign

Send a message via AIM to JennerHulud
Default can i?

Is it plausible to think of ocean crossing (atlantic) in a 1973 columbia MKII (27') or is this a really bad idea? I plan to get a large amount of miles under my belt before trying it but uhm... yea... I dont really know much about sailing (yet) so yea, any voices on that?

Old 07-03-2005, 01:25 PM   #2
Lieutenant

NO.....................

rumrunner

Melbourne, Australia.

Web: https://www.sailblogs.com/member/rumrunner/?xjMsgID=5680</font id="size1">
rumrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 11:15 PM   #3
Ensign

Hi

I crossed the Atlantic in an Achilles 24 back in 1986 from Gran Canaria to Barbados and had a very good crossing. I was single-handed and it took me 33 days. I would have arrived somewhat sooner but my self steering gear broke down with 1300 miles to go! I had great weather and was mentally prepared for the constant rolling of the boat when running in the Trades. The joy at the end of the day having a sun downer while watching the sunset and realising that you were another day nearer your goal was trememdous.

My west to east crossing from Bermuda was a different matter though. I did that in an Elizabethan 29 and had miserable weather almost all of the way. However, as soon as I had finished the voyage I was raring to go again and the hardships were soon forgotten.

I feel that if you have a well found boat in which you have confidence then crossing the Pond is very feasible. Talk to others who have done it and of course read every account that you can get your hands on so that you have a broad spectrum of experience to draw from.

Providing that you are aware that you will have days when you just want to get off the boat and never see it again and that it is not all plain sailing then you will be fine. The reward in crossing an ocean is tremendous, especially so in a small boat and the feeling that you have when you first see land again after weeks of water will remain with you for the rest of your life. This project should not be taken lightly but if you do do it you will gain such a sense of achievement at having crossed a vast amount of water by your own efforts that your self confidence will be sky high.

I appreciate that others may not agree with me over this, especially as you have a small boat but I wish you well for this and hope that when you weigh up all advice that you receive those in favour of going will be much more than for propping up the bar in the yacht club and wondering what would have happened if you had tried.

Go sail an ocean!!

Best wishes

David