Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-13-2009, 05:40 PM   #1
Lieutenant

At present we are in the Canary Islands, but shall soon leave. The original plan was to pick up our son on Sal, Cape Verdes, who would fly in on Xmas Day. But the outbreak of Dengue Fever has made us wonder whether to skip that and either get him to come to Canary Islands or go without him.

Has anyone any news on the outbreak ? The latest information I can find on the internet is dated 16 November.

steelfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 06:53 PM   #2
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

"MMNETSEA" may know a little more - he'll be up in a couple of hours.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 07:52 PM   #3
Admiral

I, too, cannot find any more current information than from the first week of November. Your guess or mine that the outbreaks have slowed or stopped is unfortunately just a guess. I understand that there was a great effort to spray to get rid of the mosquitoes, and perhaps the efforts have worked.

If you haven't gone to the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), here's what seems to be the latest on Dengue Fever. It does give some good hints, especially with regard to mosquito repellent. CDC Traveler's Health Advisory, Dengue Fever

Dengue Fever has been called "break-bone fever" because of the severe pain that often accompanies it. Note the CDC cautions about using painkillers. Acetaminophen [or you might know it as Paracetamol], in the US the most recognized brand is Tylenol(tm), is the only one recommended for reducing fever and pain. They counsel to avoid aspirin or other NSAIDs such as naproxyn sodium or ibuprofen due to the risk of causing bleeding.

If it were me, I'd go to the Cape Verdes and meet my son. I'd use a good mosquito repellent (my favorite is "Mosquito Milk" Tropical Version which you most likely will be able to find in the Canaries), and care at dawn and dusk, and read more on the above web site.

Of course you will have to decide for yourself. If you're headed to the Caribbean you'll find it's endemic there, and so you will continue to have to be careful about mosquito bites.

Our global travel has facilitated global outbreaks of diseases, so it's becoming more difficult nowadays for a cruiser to avoid them.

Wishing you health and fair winds,

Jeanne

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:05 AM   #4
Rear Admiral

I'm with Jeanne!

Have your son either slap on some mozzie repellant and meet you in Cape Verde or have him meet you in the Canaries... but do not leave him standing on the dock while you sail across the Atlantic Ocean without him.

Few families ever have an opportunity to cross oceans together and you should do whatever it takes to make it happen.

You'll all be glad you did for the rest of your lives. Guaranteed.

Damn the Torpedos... and Mosquitos!

To Life!

Kirk
Old 12-15-2009, 06:29 PM   #5
Rear Admiral

Dengue Fever is an annual event here in tropical Cairns.

If you lather up with mossie repellant, have nets over your hatches and wear light long sleeve shirts after dark you should be fine.

Have a great passage!

Fair winds
Old 12-18-2009, 03:26 AM   #6
Ensign

Hi there,

It seems to be quite a big thing this year in Cape Verde. You might want to check this article from the 12.12.2009 here: http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/fromthefie...25804410716.htm

If you decide to go, make sure you have a very strong repellent, (Incense should also be good) and make sure not to take it too easy. According to the health information for Cape Verde you doexactly that to protect you and your family:

* Lightweight long-sleeved shirts, long pants, and a hat to wear outside, whenever possible.

* Flying-insect spray to help clear rooms of mosquitoes. The product should contain a pyrethroid insecticide; these insecticides quickly kill flying insects, including mosquitoes.

* Bed nets treated with permethrin, if you will not be sleeping in an air-conditioned or well-screened room and will be in malaria-risk areas. For use and purchasing information, see Insecticide Treated Bed Nets on the CDC malaria site. Overseas, permethrin or another insecticide, deltamethrin, may be purchased to treat bed nets and clothes.

If you didn`t see it yet, they also offer a travelers health kit here: http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/yellowBookCh2-HealthKit.aspx

Maybe that could be of help. I wish you a safe trip and take care!

Best regards
Old 12-18-2009, 06:01 PM   #7
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menny View Post
Hi there,

It seems to be quite a big thing this year in Cape Verde. You might want to check this article from the 12.12.2009 here: http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/fromthefie...25804410716.htm

If you decide to go, make sure you have a very strong repellent, (Incense should also be good) and make sure not to take it too easy. According to the health information for Cape Verde you doexactly that to protect you and your family:

* Lightweight long-sleeved shirts, long pants, and a hat to wear outside, whenever possible.

* Flying-insect spray to help clear rooms of mosquitoes. The product should contain a pyrethroid insecticide; these insecticides quickly kill flying insects, including mosquitoes.

* Bed nets treated with permethrin, if you will not be sleeping in an air-conditioned or well-screened room and will be in malaria-risk areas. For use and purchasing information, see Insecticide Treated Bed Nets on the CDC malaria site. Overseas, permethrin or another insecticide, deltamethrin, may be purchased to treat bed nets and clothes.

If you didn`t see it yet, they also offer a travelers health kit here: http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/yellowBookCh2-HealthKit.aspx

Maybe that could be of help. I wish you a safe trip and take care!

Best regards
Thank you all for the information, son will probably join us in Canaries instead (it gives him a few more miles for his logbook as well)

John

steelfan is offline   Reply With Quote