Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 02-09-2010, 05:19 PM   #1
Ensign

I have always worried about the amount of stuff we have aboard our boat. I have had concern about being able to get to the hull behind stuff in case of a leak. And other things regarding storage.

I may change my mind. Take a look at the video at:

Delezynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:49 PM   #2
Lieutenant

Brilliant! Thanks for that. I feel much better after seeing that video. makes the cabin of my boat look almost tidy..

Old 02-10-2010, 04:44 PM   #3

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

I enjoyed the video--but it shouldn't make any of us feel better about clutter aboard our boats! After all, they're not dealing with gravity. Things stay right where they're put!

On the other hand, in the boat, your stuff is not only dealing with normal G forces, but can be dealing with heavy loads from sudden changes in direction with rolling and pitching. Having things tied down/lashed down/put away behind securely fastened doors in storage bins is really a necessity.

Things can look very cluttered though and actually be quite secure. I have piles of stuff which is lashed behind cargo nets alongside our hull where we don't yet have build-in storage. It works. Sort of looks like the inside of a military aircraft though very industrial.

The issue of having a leak and not being able to get to it worried us a lot. We re-planked our (wooden) boat and were very worried that we'd have seepage or leaks we couldn't see. Because of that, we re-launched the boat with very little interior stuff installed. We also didn't install our (nonstructural) ceiling which would hide the inside of the boat. After launch, we installed the ceiling where we needed to--behind water tanks, in the laundry closet, under and behind our berth, for example. We also built in enough storage that we can properly use the boat. The minute that ceiling is installed, we do feel a little helpless to get at the hull if there is a puncture or something. We'd have to rip out a lot of finish work/cabinetry to get at a leak in an emergency.

On the other hand--all thru-hulls, DST transducer, and sonar sensors are located where we can quickly access them in case of emergency. If you cannot get to thru-hulls to cycle them on and off periodically, you'll have a hard time shutting one in an emergency. As it is, we have several 2" thru-hulls (cockpit drains, main raw water seachest intake) and I have to use a 24" long pipe on the shorter handle of a thru-hull in order to have leverage to open and close those large thru-hulls. Hubby can typically just use the handle (8"?) which is on the thru-hull but I'm not strong enough.

Do you have access to all your thru-hulls? Do you cycle them on and off periodically?

Fair winds,

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote