Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 04-21-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
Admiral

Default Coming to the aid of boats in distress

I am shaking with rage over a report in Latitude38 of a Carnival Line cruise ship ignoring 3 fishermen in distress. The report, HERE, says that three passengers reported the sighting of the small boat with 3 men aboard, signaling frantically for help. The passengers assumed that steps would be taken to aid these men.

The cruise ship did not stop to give aid, nor did it pass on the report to any other vessel to aid these men. Two of the men died before the little boat was finally found more than 5 days after the cruise ship passed. Carnival claims that there was a “break-down in communication” and the captain of the ship was never notified.

REALLY? The Captain, boss, dictator, supreme being on such a large ship was not informed by his minions? I don’t believe it, but if true, not only should just about every lackey on that ship be dismissed, but the cruise ship line should be required to put into action an education program informing every single person working on their ships of the obligations to ships under International Maritime Law, and the more important moral obligation for any ship to come to the aid of others in trouble.

Still seething,
Jeanne

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:59 PM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

I do know that if I personally sited that little fishing boat, I couldn't rest until I KNEW what had happened to the people aboard. The fact that the three cruise ship passengers didn't even bother to track the situation and find out what had happened until after their holiday was over??? That upsets me greatly. Those three passengers SAW the fishermen, saw the frantic waving. Wouldn't you have thought that they would follow through and make sure that the information was not only relayed to the captain but also that something had been done about it? Again, I couldn't just report it and then go on my merry way. Yet that seems to be the way of the world these days "It's not my responsibility, It's not my place, somebody else is supposed to take care of that..." This is how people think. And thinking like that leads to terrible things--like the deaths of two of the fishermen.

The captain is ultimately responsible for everything which happens on his ship during his command. The breakdown in communication is ultimately his responsibility whether or not he was aware of it at the time.

I can imagine this breakdown happening--it sounds like the three birdwatchers would have been all together in the same area doing their birdwatching, perhaps they notified a single cruise ship employee. Perhaps that employee didn't understand them--didn't speak English well, whatever. Perhaps the info was relayed but without urgency by some clueless crew of the ship. Unfortunately, the crew of those cruise ships aren't exactly the best and the brightest. Who knows... I will hope that the captain loses his command over this and that the investigation reveals which crew lost the message so that something can be learned from this.

From L38:

"the fishermen had been spotted by three birdwatchers on the cruise ship, two from Oregon and one from Ireland. After alerting the crew, the birdwatchers assumed that the captain would do what was required to help the helpless fishermen.

Once they got home, they made inquires to find out what happened. They not only learned nothing had been done, they also learned about the deaths of the two fishermen. International maritime law requires ships that come upon other vessels in distress to render assistance, as long as they can do so without endangering themselves. An on-going investigation by Carnival has concluded that word of the stranded fishermen never made it to the captain of Star Princess — they cite a "breakdown in communication" that's still being investigated
."

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:25 PM   #3
Rear Admiral

I am shaking with rage over a report in Latitude38 of a Carnival Line cruise ship ignoring 3 fishermen in distress.

If that distresses you - imagine how the yachting community here in Australia are feeling when this occurred only a few months ago. We're still all waiting for an adequate response! The general feeling here in Far North Queensland is that the owner should have gone aboard the naval vessel and decked the captain!

Navy crew stands by as yachtie's $600,000 boat sinks in Mourilyan Harbour- Local Cairns News | cairns.com.au

It's all a very very sad state of affairs.

Fair winds

Mico
Old 04-21-2012, 10:00 PM   #4
Admiral

Oh no, Mico!

The Australian Navy is incompetent enough to admit that their captain - commanding officer - can't command without permission from Canberra? Australia is in trouble, eh?

Cold, heartless, pass-the-buck! And I would never have believed it of Australia!

So what happens if the ship calls Canberra, says they're under attack. Do they have to wait until somebody can come to the phone to tell them what to do? And if it's a Saturday, do they have to wait until Monday? What are your comedians doing with this? I would think that the Navy and Canberra would be the laughing stock of the country.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote