Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-06-2014, 01:24 AM   #15
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

There should always be a good reason for the things which we do. I can think of no better excuse to sail to Rarotonga, than to buy an ice cream.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 01:37 AM   #16
Maldamare

Home Port: Long Island, NY
Smile Windows 8.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
I was just looking through eBay for AIS transceivers and came across several Panasonic Toughbooks. Having looked at the specifications and the low cost of these units, I am keen to purchase one at around $350 including NOAA charts and GPS. (One even has AIS included, with the whole package at less than $450).

The only thing which causes me any concern is the Windows XP operating system. The system is effective and will easily run navigation suites and AIS. But, with Microsoft opting to end support for XP, I am concerned about it susceptibility to attack from viruses.

I expect Norton and freeware such as AVG will still offer a level of protection...and I guess there is always the option of simply not hooking up to the internet and using the computer purely as a nav aid.

Any thoughts?
You should upgrade to Windows 8.1.
Do NOT listen to the naysayers!
Windows 8.1 is the most secure Windows OS available.
By pressing the Windows logo key, you will be right at your familiar desktop. By pressing it again, you now have all the advantages of the modern User Interface. Yes, there is a small learning curve, but nowhere near the Linux learning curve!
Since you are familiar with XP, your learning curve should be very "flat"!
You also might like to take advantage of the touch-screen capability, which negates the salt water disadvantages of a keyboard.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:51 AM   #17
Admiral

I have Windows 7 on my home computer. I also use a computer with Windows 8. They both seem like perfectly decent operating systems to me. As the computer I purchased has XP, I will probably persevere with it for the meantime. If it is too slow for the programme, I will certainly update it.

There is a correlation for me, between cars and computers. I like to drive them and I am reasonably adept. But I'm not going to replace a gearbox. So, if it comes to an update, I shall find someone who knows, just to be sure that it works....and just so I can have a backside to kick if the wheels fall off.

Cheers

Old 06-06-2014, 04:06 AM   #18
Maldamare

Default Win 8.1/ Win XP

Sounds like a wise decision to me.
If you need XP for compatibility with older software, you can get a free copy of VMware, which will allow you to run XP in a virtual machine.
VMware is fairly simple to install and run.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:39 AM   #19
Admiral

So, if I install VMware does it then in effect, become a server virtually supporting two separate operating entities on the same computer? If this is the case on a dual core machine, does it then limit the range of operation to a single core per operating system? If so, how will that affect the speed and function of each entity?

Forgive me if these appear nave questions, but, in my defence, I still use a sextant.

Old 06-07-2014, 03:42 AM   #20
Admiral

Home Port: Sydney
Vessel Name: Keppelena & Shenoa

Quote:
Sounds like a great deal. They do coconut flavoured ice cream in Rarotonga and it's fantastic. Almost as good as the Tahitian vanilla in Papeete.
Dammit, knew I should have kept going on that trip.

How's the stern tube issue going?

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 05:40 AM   #21
Maldamare

Yes, it loads an operating systems as a virtual machine.
Actually, you can run several virtual machines, depending upon your storage.
Although I haven't tried it, I believe you can assign your cores.
In my system, both OSs are using both cores.
There is quite a bit of flexibility and probably much more with the paid version!

David
Old 06-07-2014, 07:15 AM   #22
Maldamare

Default Screen Shot

I have attached a screen shot to show you the variables that can be modified for each virtual machine.
Unfortunately, I don't see how to upload a .PNG file from my computer, so I had to put the image on a server to upload it!

The variable for processors allows you to select 1-8.
Memory can be selected from 4MB to 64GB.

David
Attached Images
File Type: png VM1.PNG (29.6 KB, 6 views)
Old 06-07-2014, 07:19 AM   #23
Maldamare

If you (double) click the image, then (double) click it again, you should be able to read it more easily!
Old 06-07-2014, 07:22 AM   #24
Maldamare

Default Uploaded Image

I hope this worked!
David
Attached Images
File Type: png VM1.PNG (29.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 06-07-2014, 07:42 AM   #25
Admiral

Yes I got that, thank you. I feel there is merit in adding a newer OS. I wonder though, if I do that, is it not best to just load the new system and abandon the old XP rather than running two OS side by side.
I understand Windows 8.1 needs to be a clean installation, so I would need to backup all the data and programmes on XP before the installation. Could I then reload the programmes from XP onto 8.1 or is there a compatibility issue....meaning the VMware option is unavoidable.

I am surprised to see 8.1 pro is only US$200, and the home version just US$113. Seems like a bargain.

Of course this is all a little academic for the moment as the boat is in Mexico, the computer is in Arizona and I, am in Thailand (Land of the free). Although a return to the Americas is coming close.

PS. From your copied page I understand that I can vary values such as memory. Is this correct?

Old 06-08-2014, 05:55 AM   #26
Maldamare

Yes, memory is assignable, as well as peripherals.
Probably the only reason to install VMware is if you cannot run your legacy software under 8.1. The best solution is to re-install all software.
In the case where you no longer have the original disks, the best method would be to use a program like PCmover from Laplink Software.
It would also be prudent to insure that you have the latest version of the individual programs.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:49 AM   #27
Commander

Home Port: Hobart
Vessel Name: Honey Bee

Recently upgraded our Eeebox, which we use as a Nav computer. The new one runs Win 8.1. We use a Keyspan 4 port serial to USB converter to connect GPS, AIS, Pactor and HF radio to the PC. Worked fine with XP and Win 7, but no joy with Win 8 - no drivers, no plan to produce any and no replacement product. At this point, we have put the new Eeebox back in its carton and persisting with the old XP machine. Might start looking for a copy of Win 7 to downgrade the new box. I much prefer 7 anyway, 8.1 might be better, but the new interface is a mess and the lack of drivers is a killer.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:29 PM   #28
Maldamare

Why not run VMware and use Win7 as a virtual machine under Win 8.1?
VMware is free and is fairly easy to use. That way, you have the best of both worlds!