Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-07-2014, 05:40 AM   #21
Maldamare

Home Port: Long Island, NY

Yes, it loads an operating systems as a virtual machine.
Actually, you can run several virtual machines, depending upon your storage.
Although I haven't tried it, I believe you can assign your cores.
In my system, both OSs are using both cores.
There is quite a bit of flexibility and probably much more with the paid version!

David

Old 06-07-2014, 07:15 AM   #22
Maldamare

Default Screen Shot

I have attached a screen shot to show you the variables that can be modified for each virtual machine.
Unfortunately, I don't see how to upload a .PNG file from my computer, so I had to put the image on a server to upload it!

The variable for processors allows you to select 1-8.
Memory can be selected from 4MB to 64GB.

David
Attached Thumbnails
VM1.PNG  

Old 06-07-2014, 07:19 AM   #23
Maldamare

If you (double) click the image, then (double) click it again, you should be able to read it more easily!
Old 06-07-2014, 07:22 AM   #24
Maldamare

Default Uploaded Image

I hope this worked!
David
Attached Thumbnails
VM1.PNG  
Old 06-07-2014, 07:42 AM   #25
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Yes I got that, thank you. I feel there is merit in adding a newer OS. I wonder though, if I do that, is it not best to just load the new system and abandon the old XP rather than running two OS side by side.
I understand Windows 8.1 needs to be a clean installation, so I would need to backup all the data and programmes on XP before the installation. Could I then reload the programmes from XP onto 8.1 or is there a compatibility issue....meaning the VMware option is unavoidable.

I am surprised to see 8.1 pro is only US$200, and the home version just US$113. Seems like a bargain.

Of course this is all a little academic for the moment as the boat is in Mexico, the computer is in Arizona and I, am in Thailand (Land of the free). Although a return to the Americas is coming close.

PS. From your copied page I understand that I can vary values such as memory. Is this correct?

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 05:55 AM   #26
Maldamare

Yes, memory is assignable, as well as peripherals.
Probably the only reason to install VMware is if you cannot run your legacy software under 8.1. The best solution is to re-install all software.
In the case where you no longer have the original disks, the best method would be to use a program like PCmover from Laplink Software.
It would also be prudent to insure that you have the latest version of the individual programs.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:49 AM   #27
Commander

Home Port: Hobart
Vessel Name: Honey Bee

Recently upgraded our Eeebox, which we use as a Nav computer. The new one runs Win 8.1. We use a Keyspan 4 port serial to USB converter to connect GPS, AIS, Pactor and HF radio to the PC. Worked fine with XP and Win 7, but no joy with Win 8 - no drivers, no plan to produce any and no replacement product. At this point, we have put the new Eeebox back in its carton and persisting with the old XP machine. Might start looking for a copy of Win 7 to downgrade the new box. I much prefer 7 anyway, 8.1 might be better, but the new interface is a mess and the lack of drivers is a killer.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:29 PM   #28
Maldamare

Why not run VMware and use Win7 as a virtual machine under Win 8.1?
VMware is free and is fairly easy to use. That way, you have the best of both worlds!
Old 06-14-2014, 01:58 AM   #29
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

I have been yakking to several people who continue their use of Windows XP as their operating system, and who see no real reason to upgrade. It seems extraordinary that of the estimated 1.5 billion PCs in use world wide, almost 28% of them still use XP.

It appears many cruising people are using two computers. One for navigation (generally the one with XP installed) and a second for the same sort of use that Landies have. Google, email, gaming, downloading entertainment etc.

My original concern with buying my dedicated nav computer, concerned Microsoft's abandonment of the XP platform. It does appear there will be some risks associated with going online, but the cost associated with an upgrade to either a complete new OS, or as FiOS-Dave suggests, running a parallel virtual machine on the same computer may not be as necessary as I had first thought.

I guess my own path for the moment will be to wrap the Toshiba Satellite i7 running Win7pro, in cotton wool and to follow some of the security advice contained in the following link regarding the continued use of XP, although to a relative amateur such as I am, some of the procedures seem a little 'foreign'. How can I use Windows XP safely now it's no longer supported? | Technology | theguardian.com

I read plenty about continuing with XP, but as with everything else on the net there is always a doomsday waiting around the corner. So to balance the above link, there is this one. Windows XP: The end of the road

I guess my future problem will be with going ashore. Dinghy-ing to shore in a slop, with the Win7 machine to check emails will present some risk, doing the same with a military Toughbook, will be far less risky. But once in the coffee shop or laundrette, the risk of using XP over Win7 is far greater.

The option of simply replacing XP with Win7 on the Toughbook, does have some basic appeal. A bundle containing Win7pro and Norton, is now cheaper than ever (Amazon.com Software: Microsoft Windows 7) and I wonder how easy it is for a relative neophyte to make the swap, or indeed how much it would cost to give the whole shebang to a pro and have them do it for me. There is a lot of dedicated software installed on the computer and I wonder how easy it may be to jump all of this into Win7 if I took that path. For people who know more than me on this, here is a basic overview of the new machine:
Contains a new AIS receiver and a USED Panasonic Toughbook CF-29 MK4, military grade laptop, Pent 1.6 GHz Intel Centrino CPU, 1.0 GB RAM, 40 GB Hard Drive, CD ROM drive, Big 13.3" Color LCD, WITH Touch Screen, Back-lit Keyboard, Ridge handle, external sealed USB GPS receiver, WiFi (54g), 2 USB 2.0 Ports, RS232 Serial 9 Pin Port, SD Memory Stick Slot, Sound, Audio/Mic Jacks, External Monitor Port, AC Power Adapter and, Working Battery. Has Win XP Operating System loaded with OpenCPN Charting & Plotting program and 2 free raster chart sets of your choice. (I have chosen central Americas Pacific coast and the Pacific) Also included are other software, Tide, Federal Light List, USCG Coast Pilot and a Word processor, and some small Games to keep the kids busy when your are not navigating.

This is more difficult than beating off a lee shore.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 04:32 AM   #30
Maldamare

Investigate PCmover software from Laplink. This is probably the easiest and most complete transfer package that is available.
It will transfer everything that the Microsoft Easy Transfer app does, plus much more.
In the past, I used it to transfer from XP to Win7 and was able to save 99% of my programs.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:58 AM   #31
Commander

Thanks for the suggestion David. I would prefer to keep things as simple as possible and running two OS's might be testing the resources of an Eeebox. I would really like to know why Keyspan can't provide drivers for their existing kit - that would be the best solution from my perspective. All they say is they don't have a Win 8 driver, nor a replacement product. It may be that there is some underlying issue with the chipset they use that can never work with 8, they just don't say. It seems to me that the most efficient solution is to install Win 7 - no overheads there and I know it is compatible with my existing hardware. At the moment i am just reluctant to buy a copy of 7 when I have 8.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:06 AM   #32
Maldamare

I feel your pain!
Actually, the VMware player adds very little overhead, is fairly simple to use and it is free.
Also, there is a way to have Win 8 accept earlier drivers, but I've forgotten how, since it has been a while since I tried it. Try Binging, or Googling and you may find a link that will help.
As the OSs become more sophisticated and more bullet proof, the drivers need to be re-written and many companies are reluctant to spend the time and/or money to do so.
You might want to check the Microsoft Community to see if they can be of assistance.
Since XP is about thirteen years old, it really is time to move on!

Good luck!

David
Old 06-14-2014, 11:16 AM   #33
Commander

Thanks David. I've just signed up with the Microsoft Community. I'll see if anything comes back.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:02 PM   #34
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post

This is more difficult than beating off a lee shore.
Oh, spare me. In my last job before retiring I was writing embedded firmware for wireless security networks. Compared to that, PC end users have NO problems.

(Hint: Now you know why I'm still single. Nerd with a capital N.)

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote