Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-23-2007, 05:02 PM   #1
Ensign

Hello to all.

I am interesting in receiving some insight about copper coats - to coat sardinhas`s hull.

I sent a mail to coppercoat and, all the information I`ve been sent seemed enough to make my choice, as I may need a long last coat; because I am moving sardinha to cabo verde for the next two years.

Thanks.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:50 PM   #2
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by joao-lisboa View Post
Hello to all.

I am interesting in receiving some insight about copper coats - to coat sardinhas`s hull.

I sent a mail to coppercoat and, all the information I`ve been sent seemed enough to make my choice, as I may need a long last coat; because I am moving sardinha to cabo verde for the next two years.

Thanks.
Hi

We have just had coppercoat applied to our hull this year (The boat has only just been in the water for 2 weeks so cannot really give you an opinion yet)

The problem we had with it is the fact that asit is waterbased it has to be applied with no threat of rain. As you maybe aware we have had our fairshare of rain this summer.

We needed a whole dry day and we did not get that in June.

The process that was used was

apply the first coat and then wait 1.5hrs then apply the second coat then wait another 1.5hrs etc. They applied 5 coats so you see why we had to wait so long as the slightest water would wash all the copper off.

It goes on coppery brown and then goes green when its in the water.

We were told then that all the maintenance it should require is a wash of once a year. If there is growth then a slight rub down will expose a bit more copper and strenghten the resistance to growth. If however we find it does not work we can anti foul as normal.

The coppercoat was applied mixed in with the gel coat (we also had osmosis treatment) I dont know if this is different to applying it on top of the existing gel coat.

I will send some photos later

Steve

Old 08-23-2007, 08:59 PM   #3
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Hi Steve, how does it compare in price with traditional anti fouling paint and does it need to be applied by a professional?

Cheers.

David.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:42 PM   #4
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
Hi Steve, how does it compare in price with traditional anti fouling paint and does it need to be applied by a professional?

Cheers.

David.
Hi David

It is very difficult to put a price on it as it was included in the price for the osmosis treatment and respray. there was rumblings that if it rained and washed off it would cost £200.00 per coat X 5 coats.

It is supposed to last for 10 years so my maths said that is about £100 per year when you compare with regular antifouling its a lot cheaper and that includes putting it on. (Horrible job).

I'll let you know in 10 years whether its worked

Steve
Old 08-23-2007, 11:26 PM   #5
Ensign

Thanks for your replies.

I`ve been seeing coppercoat advertised here & there - sailing magazines, etc. And after some research on my own - before the post and before mention this copper issue to my local professional advisor here in Portugal, I made contact to coppercoat, asked for some more information and a quote, for a painting job in a claymore 30 feet. Sardinha has about 30 m2 underwater. If applied by roller - so I was told - 8 litres should be sifficient for 5 coats. i. e. 1 litre = 4 m2 with all necessary coats.

At the current rate of GBP 60 per unit (approximately EUR 89.00), such an

8-litre package would be GBP 480 (approximately EUR 712.00) plus vat and

5 days delivery that his 50£ ( 74 euros ) .

well, at these conditions I am wondering if this is not a solution to my needs. Only that I don`t see any downside to this copper coat issue.... hummmm
Old 08-24-2007, 12:38 AM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by joao-lisboa View Post
I am wondering if this is not a solution to my needs. Only that I don`t see any downside to this copper coat issue.... hummmm
Hello Joao, Bon Dia,

I guess it's fairly expensive in the short term but if it provides say 7 years then you are in the pound seats (should I say Euro seats).

Being Epoxy bound does provide a good advantage if for some reason the CU doesn't work - at least your hull will be protected from osmosis.

The pre-application preparation looks like it will need the usual care and attention.

(There is one warning regarding Aluminium hulls)

Incompatibilities:

Copper (I) Oxide is incompatible with aluminum (violent reaction when heated), lithium nitride, and peroxyformic acid (potentially explosive reaction). Promotes the decomposition of hydrazine and can form explosive acetylides with acetylene + caustic solution. Will corrode aluminum.

Richard
Old 08-24-2007, 02:14 PM   #7
Lieutenant

Hi

Heres some before and after pictures of coppercoat

Before m_DSCF1370.JPG

After m_DSCF2550.JPG

Finishedm_DSCF2587.JPG

I will keep in touch and let you know how well it performs

looks a nice colour in rhe water
Old 08-24-2007, 11:21 PM   #8
Admiral

Hi Steve,

In answering Joao's questions regarding CopperCoat (CopperShield - Australia) it was noted that the product he was considering contained copper in a 2 part solventless epoxy - somewhere in your application details the antifouling was water-based . Question:- are we talking about the same product ?

By the way good pics.

Richard
Old 08-25-2007, 02:09 PM   #9
Admiral

Vessel Name: Persevate
Send a message via Yahoo to atavist

What types of hulls can this be applied to?? Fiber obviously... could it be used on steel or aluminum as well as antifouling and on a steel boat to minimize corrosion??

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
atavist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 08:47 PM   #10
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
Hi Steve,

In answering Joao's questions regarding CopperCoat (CopperShield - Australia) it was noted that the product he was considering contained copper in a 2 part solventless epoxy - somewhere in your application details the antifouling was water-based . Question:- are we talking about the same product ?

By the way good pics.

Richard
Im not sure Richard

Ill speak to my friend who applied it when he gets back of holiday next week.

Steve
Old 08-25-2007, 10:12 PM   #11
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by atavist View Post
What types of hulls can this be applied to?? Fiber obviously... could it be used on steel or aluminum as well as antifouling and on a steel boat to minimize corrosion??
The http://www.coppercoat.com link will give full details - Look at the Australian link as they have lots of experience withe metal hulls.

(There is one warning regarding Aluminium hulls - However this is a chemical caveat , where the first change in the copper when in contact with salt water it oxidizes the outer skin - how this may effect Aluminium at this stage when bound in epoxy - is best asked of the manufacturer)

Incompatibilities:

Copper (I) Oxide is incompatible with aluminum (violent reaction when heated), lithium nitride, and peroxyformic acid (potentially explosive reaction). Promotes the decomposition of hydrazine and can form explosive acetylides with acetylene + caustic solution. Will corrode aluminum.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:21 AM   #12
Ensign

Home Port: Sydney

I built a 23' powercat over two years starting March 2012. Since this boat was to live on a mooring and since I had years of expense keeping my sailboat antifouled, I decided to apply Coppershield (as it is called in Australia.) This was put on while the hulls were upside down in 2012. We launched in March 2014 and in early April I went over the underwater sections with a Scotchbright Pad to "Activate" the Coppershield.

Last week, on June 19 after 90 days in the water I took the boat into shallow water to give the Coppershield its first scrubdown. I was expecting a bit of slime to be removed. Instead I found a fair bit of hard growth on the new antifoul. I'd estimate the hull was 85% slime and 15% "hard growth" fouling. Of course the slime came off easily but the hard growth took about 3 passes of the Scotchbright pad to come off. I would still classify the removal of the hard stuff as "easy" however I was surprised and somewhat disappointed that I had this much "hard" growth. Water temps during this period were in the 20 degree Centigrade range. 18.5 on the day I scrubbed.

Having considering Coppershild over many years for the sailboat, I had come to believe that the company under-stated the amount of periodic scrub-downs necessary to get the results that they advertise. This didn't really bother me for this small power cat. I only have 16 sq metres underwater; she only draws about 300mm at the back, and my plan was always to do this in the shallows as necessary without any slipping expense.

Based on the above, it looks like I'll be scrubbing about 4 times per year. The blog showing the complete build history is at Building A Boat I'll also post this and future updates on that site.
Steve
Old 06-29-2014, 04:00 AM   #13

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Is Coppershield made by Aquarius Marine in the UK?

Ours is the Coppercoat by Aquarius Marine. It's no magic and the application itself is important to the success of the coating. It starts working slowly but gains more effectiveness over several months. If you're in a river/heavy mud environment, you can pick up some black (iron related) oxides which are quite inert. Inert oxides don't work well as anti-foul. We had to scrub off such oxides a couple different times when were in dirt-laden waters for several months. We've had the Coppercoat in place for 5 years so far and would definitely use it again. No--not magic, and it does require a scrub here and there but we do like it.

Fair winds,

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:20 PM   #14
Ensign

Home Port: Sydney

Duplicate deleted