Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-17-2012, 07:40 AM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: SYD
Default Crew asking Indo Visa questions

Hi Im wanting to crew from Darwin into Indonesia in the near future and had some questions. Whats the easiest way for me to get all my visa things sorted so I could jump on a boat if I find someone wanting crew last minute. Do i really have to be on someones crewlist (which i heard takes 6-8 weeks) or is it simply a small fine( or tip) in Indo to take care of this. Cant I get a 30 day visa on arrival. I want to figure out if theirs anything I can do to make it as easy as possible for someone to take me on without much hassle. Ideally id like to do another two months work before crewing north. Whats the likelihood of me finding someone this late in the season. Plenty of experience willing to share costs, anyone heading north in Oct? Nov? thanks.
-Joseph

Old 08-17-2012, 08:23 AM   #2
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by apparentwind87 View Post
Hi Im wanting to crew from Darwin into Indonesia in the near future and had some questions. Whats the easiest way for me to get all my visa things sorted so I could jump on a boat if I find someone wanting crew last minute. Do i really have to be on someones crewlist (which i heard takes 6-8 weeks) or is it simply a small fine( or tip) in Indo to take care of this. Cant I get a 30 day visa on arrival. I want to figure out if theirs anything I can do to make it as easy as possible for someone to take me on without much hassle. Ideally id like to do another two months work before crewing north. Whats the likelihood of me finding someone this late in the season. Plenty of experience willing to share costs, anyone heading north in Oct? Nov? thanks.
-Joseph
Gooday 'Joe' - Plenty of experience - yea right - experience in what - getting youself thrown in jail in SE Asia ??? If you treat Asian countries with the 'attitude' you've expressed here - you'll find that after they take all you money - official papers - passport (& sell it to the highest bidder - off the notice board in the local police station) & then put you in jail for a few years - you then might have time to think that your ideas of breaking local & foreign countries laws - was not all that smart - afterall.

You want all the 'good-oil' info about how to do all that - passport visa stuff - then go to the Fannie Bay Yacht Club. They know all about those requirements as they stage several races up into SE Asia starting in Darwin.

I'd keep your 'attitude' under wraps though, cause the blokes at Fannie Bay - wont be all that impressed with it & neither will the Officials at the Clubs in Darwin nor the Australian Officials - for that matter.

I'm leaving for SE Asia within the next year & will be requiring experienced crew with fast multihull knowledge - when I get up to Darwin & get the boat ready to cruise in SE Asia but with your 'attitude' you can count on me keeping my distance from the danger that you would bring to my yacht, my plans & my freedom. Good luck - you're going to need all you can get. Ciao, james

Old 08-17-2012, 08:32 AM   #3
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

One of the benefits of sailing in an organised race or rally from Darwin is that, for a relatively small fee, someone else will arrange all the permissions, visas and such. Going later in the season is always on the cards, although if you wait another two months you will be into the cyclone season. After this, very few yachts will venture north until the start of April next year. For visa information you can visit the Indonesian Consulate opposite the Darwin City Council chambers on Harry Chan ave. It's about a five minute walk from the Smith Street Mall.

The alternative is to visit the Dinah Beach Cruising Yacht Association and speak to the coordinator of the club sponsored events through Indon. A visit to the Darwin Sailing Club at Atkins street in Fannie Bay should provide similar details.

Both clubs have a very active sailing membership, with the DBCYA being more concerned with cruising rather than racing.

It would be unwise indeed to try to crew on a yacht without the relevent documents and permissions in place. It may mean just a fine for you, but it could jeopardise the immediate cruising future of the boat you are on, through a cancellation of their CAIT.

Having said that I cannot imagine any skipper would take you without first knowing your visa status.

Best of luck and, if you don't find a late passage out of Darwin, it is not a bad place to have to spend a few months whilst you await the return of the south easterlies.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:09 PM   #4

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Agree with Auzzee on this one.

Many skippers do try to get their ducks in a row months (not weeks) beforehand. So--if you're looking to sail and are flexible, perhaps you might consider putting up an ad on the crewfinder with willingness to meet a boat in other locations and with a lot of freedom about where they're headed. If you're looking to get into Indonesia in your time frame, you might just go ahead and arrange your own visa and travel via other means.

If you do put up a crew ad here, please do share information about yourself (age, your skills, navigation and sailing experience) so you'll be more likely to be offered a position aboard a boat.

Best of luck with your travels.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:20 AM   #5
Ensign

Home Port: SYD

We'll I guess I got most of my answers off the sailindonesia website. It seems that I need to be on someones CAIT 4 weeks in advance or its a fine. I wasnt trying to do anything illegal I was asking a harmless question.

5. Your Indonesian Cruising Permit, CAIT and Crew Details
In accordance with the Indonesian Government Immigration Regulations every person on your yacht and their passport details MUST be listed on your yacht's CAIT.
Your CAIT is an official Indonesian Government Document and takes around 4 weeks to process in Jakarta and once the application is lodged in Jakarta it cannot be changed, so please be sure when you enter your crew list is complete.

New crew members can fly into Indonesia and join your yacht then leave while your yacht is still in Indonesia , in this situation please include them as normal crew with your entry and please include all their details and passport scans when you enter. If you are not sure if some crew members will be joining your yacht for the rally or part of the rally again please include their details and passport scans with your entry. Crew that fly into Indonesia may leave the country again by air or as crew on your yacht
If you have crew members who plan to fly in to Indonesia to join your yacht make sure in advance that they can obtain the correct visa for their entry into Indonesia for their visit with you. If you have crew members listed on your CAIT who are not on your yacht it will not be a problem.
If you have crew on your yacht who are not listed on your CAIT you may be asked to make "extra payments" to port and immigration officials and this may cause you delays. Sail Indonesia may not be able to assist you in this situation.

to me that "extra payments" sounds exactly what I thought it would be. And my experiences is sailing across the pacific from Panama while its not sailing Cape Horn its not anything to scoff over condescendingly as well.

So I guess this means I have to have an arrangement with a yacht 4 weeks prior to departure which isnt what I wanted to hear. Is there really no procedure for adding crew in a shorter time period? I know sailing to East Timor theres absolutely no procedure like this.

-Joseph
Old 08-18-2012, 10:19 AM   #6
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Glad to hear all is okay. I think it could still be worthwhile to visit the Indonesian Consulate. I have a feeling that there may be some exceptions available to casual crew. Not entirely sure.

Sailing into East Timor is definitely an easier affair. From Dili, you can then take a bus to Kupang (West Timor, Indonesia) and use that visa to then tour throughout the Indonesian achipeligo. I think you can apply for the visa to Indo whilst you are in Dili, but again, I suggest a quick yak to the Indo Consulate to confirm that.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:39 PM   #7
Ensign

Home Port: bushehr
Send a message via Yahoo to cptn.km
Default looking for opportunity master or skipper ship on motor yacht

am master under 500 tons on ship
looking for opportunity in Australia
also i didn't have any visa for Australia
please guide me @ tell me about salary too
you can talk me on yahoo messenger
by this id