Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-23-2015, 01:33 PM   #21
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

I can only reiterate..
You're a dill.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:20 PM   #22
Ocean Senior Sailor

Home Port: Auckland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
I can only reiterate..
You're a dill.
Please educate me and other dill crew members / captains why would any captain want to inspect a crew members travel documents whilst on passage when they have already been accepted and noted by the virtue that they have an official immigration, customs official officers and harbour masters clearance documents and their official acceptance - and the captains crew list - stamped from the departing port authorities with the crew member / members on board his / her vessel before arriving at another port.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:25 PM   #23
Ensign

I am most interested in this comment below.

I am watching a gradually more acrimonious disagreement develop in front of me.

Skipper (solo normally) decided to take on paying crew to go to Cuba. Then decided to stop in Jamaica and then removed their stuff from the boat informing them via the marina staff he didn't want them on board anymore.

Crew has onward travel by air from Havana based on the original plan of arriving in Cuba.

Can someone reference actual law to help here?

Quote:
Most States adhere to the principal / maritime law and conventions that the skipper is also responsible for the crews return airfare, food, accommodation and transport costs whilst the crew member is waiting for a flight to his homeland should there be any disagreement re
departure from the vessel if not the crew members home state.
PS 2 posts in 8+ years. Must be a record..........
Old 02-19-2016, 12:10 AM   #24

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart135 View Post
Skipper (solo normally) decided to take on paying crew to go to Cuba. Then decided to stop in Jamaica and then removed their stuff from the boat informing them via the marina staff he didn't want them on board anymore.
The law varies a lot from country to country. It's only an international convention that says that the skipper is responsible for repatriation of the crew, the law is set by the country in which it applies and not by the IMO or the USA.

Having said that, the skipper is probably going to have a really bad time when it comes to obtaining a clearance certificate from Jamaica.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:52 AM   #25
Ensign

Home Port: Toronto

I would also agree with delatbabel, the crew liability waivers would be of no benefit for sure!
Old 03-02-2016, 01:44 PM   #26
Lieutenant

Home Port: Zarcero

If I needed a lawyer to interpret a contract before I joined a crew, I wouldn't want to join that crew.

I have only crewed on 2 boats, but each was after a discussion with the captains where we each discussed our experience, lifestyles, plans, and expectations. I turned down a third opportunity, when I didn't like the captain's boat, experience, plan, or ideas about expenses.

I kept my own passport, which I would be unwilling to surrender. I would lend it the captain to clear in and out of a country if I was not accompanying him to the office. I also provided several photocopies when they were requested bu marinas and authorities.

I paid my own travel to and from the vessels and split expenses for provisions, taxis, and paid for anything personal I bought. I didn't pay marina, cruising permit, or fuel fees or pay anything for transport. I did supply a lot of free labor on maintenance tasks beyond just sailing the boats. I am flexible and will provide return transport from any location, but that should be discussed. So if anything changes the final destination, the captain and the crew member don't get an unpleasant surprise.

I think, but can't prove, that if a captain were to demand that a crew member leave his vessel in a foreign port, that the crew member could claim that he was being stranded in that country and demand lodging and transportation to their home. So it is in the best interest of the captain to know that his crew has some financial resources and to keep a good relationship.

Spending time in a confined space with other people for any period of time can lead to conflicts. Throw in fatigue and discomfort and everybody better have the right kind of personality to get along. You can never be 100% certain about how you will get along with another person, but a legal document probably won't fix anything.

I am returning to one of the boats soon. I met the captain on this forum. We had several email and phone conversations before our first cruise. We never had anything in writing, but had a clear understanding of our roles.

Tags
crew