Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-30-2007, 06:56 PM   #41
Ensign

My Gosh, what a load....

Costs ranging from $10.00 to thousands. I sail for years with a small kid on board and I can tell you that it will cost you as much as you would like to spend. I heard of a guy that included the cost of an airfare per year in his cruising budget..... nuts.

Go and do it, you can spend just as much as you like.... if you want to live on $10.00 per month, you can do it, likewise, if you want to spend $10,000.00 per month, you will. The bottom line is..... it depends on how badly you want to go sailing.

One other thing, .... someone gave you a run-down on multi hulls being build with a hatch underneath.... another load of bull. You sail your boat the way it is intended to be sailed... with care and awareness...... it is no different from sailing any other kind...... just be aware of the boat and what and where you are.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:09 PM   #42
Ensign

Hello Vic de Beer,

It is somewhat arrogant for you to describe everyone else's well considered opinions as '..What a load...'. Your non specific observation that 'it will cost you as much as you would like to spend' is a cliche that is simply wrong when you take into account the need to maintain your craft in an ocean ready state. Equally, it makes sense to budget for the things in your life that are important. A more appropriate cliche is, 'it will always cost more than you originally planned'.

Many cruising families are middle aged and therefore have ageing parents. Of course it makes perfect sense to budget for airfares even if you do not need them. Living a frugal life is possible in all situations, whether on land or sea, but unless you are content to live in a marine trailer park, you will have maintenance costs irrespective of 'how much you would like to spend'.

I sail a monohull and, as with you, believe physics is on my side in the event of a knockdown, providing the vents, ports and hatches are closed and capable of withstanding pressure, and that the battery bank and other heavy objects are properly tied down so they can't slam through the cabin top or cockpit sole.

What I, and I suspect many others would be very interested to hear from you, is about your experiences cruising with a small child. This is a subject which is raised on many forums and in magazines frequently. Many respondents can reply with conjecture whereas you could provide a first hand account.

Fair winds.

Perhaps revitalise this previous post on the topic of cruising with kids. http://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/ind...showtopic=2792 Auzzee-Moderator

Old 06-30-2007, 10:36 PM   #43
tankgirl

Hi all,

For costs it really does depend on how much you have at your disposal. Factor in how bad you want to stay out of the old 'box-life' and making sacrifices to keep cruising. Then factor in the stuff on your boat that truly matters to you and what you'll spend your money on. Combine all those unknowns with whether or not you have some sort of passive income, bulk cash-kitty only or going hand-to-mouth.

In the Caribbean we could blow $100usd+ a night on happy hour and dinner (had lots of cash then). In the Philippines could be perfectly content on $5usd per day for food, a drink or two for hanging out and pack of ciggies (almost broke!). I'd work when that personal comfort zone of cash reserve was too low by my standards and take that time to buy things the boat needed.

One thing for sure, that I learned for me, is that the security of incoming cash was not as important as to just keep moving and making due. Heaps more fun and life is definately more exciting. The trick is (and this can be a tough mind game) to not let yourself get stuck in the habit of not spending anything and sitting on your boat all day to then miss the amazing world around ya. I've met more then a few that seemed miserable...caught between having to 'go back to the real world' to work yet licking the powder off rice grains to survive. They lost the magic....

Bottom-line, it's purely a personal preference for us all. Only thing I can offer to those getting in to it and trying to find THEIR balance is that you don't need as many gizmos on board as you think.

Btw, regarding the mutihull 're-enter' hatches on the bottom.....I was told that these are required by a government regulatory body in France, the EU or such (maybe more places now??). Anyway, I'd say that it should be taken into consideration that public do-gooders love to find ways to make everyone safe in every imaginable way and rarely take the real world into consideration (I'm still waiting for somewhere to wise up and require lawmakers to wear padded helmets 24 hours/7 days a week 'cause they are obviously subject to constant head trauma!). Worse thing is, these hatches often leak a little (even on new cats) or people will forget to close them and wiring, batteries, engines, matresses, etc get a good saltwater rinse. So many people caulk them up with 5200 or silicone and you can't open them anyway! The do allow a wonderful cool breeze in though when anchored at night!

best - J
Old 07-02-2007, 02:17 AM   #44
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by willskene View Post
Finally,can afford the long awaited boat, time and dream !

At 57, healthy and reasonably fit, with the kids doing their own thing, I am almost there. Although I have done some monohull sailing (Day Skipper RYA)but have limited experience, I am considering a live-aboard, cruising catamaran, about 5-7 years old,38-45feet (My budget allowance)

However, I have no idea how much above the purchase price it's going to cost me to run and live aboard. Was thinking of the Med to gain some experience (I live in Scotland) and if I like it and can do it...maybe further afield perhaps SE Asia. Can anyone advise me (Apart from not getting a Cat !!) Appreciate your help.
I read all of the posts and I guess my concern is that boat and health insurance will be the killer.

Going without will probably not be approved by the wife.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:47 AM   #45
Lieutenant

Home Port: Mackay
Vessel Name: Dreammaker

Hello. I've been going through the posts and have seen two that I would like to ask a question about.

Cruising costs. I've seen a couple of posts saying that they find work to add to the kitty.

My question is. How hard is it to work in other countries? Because if it is possible, then I just might be able to go sooner than later.

The other question is for another post to do with experience.

Thankyou
Old 07-02-2007, 10:03 AM   #46
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Hi "Seascape"

A forum search on the subject brings up THIS as well as other threads.

Hope that helps to answer your questions.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 03:18 AM   #47
tankgirl

SeaEscape,

Working in other countries is often possible, sometimes improbable and never guaranteed.

Firstly it's usually illegal unless you are connected somehow/somewhere or are just amazingly talented and that talent is in high demand...then the legality may, might, be overlooked locally. The South Africans had a great term for it in St. Maarten....duck-n-divin'. Head down, low profile, ready to scoot if needed.

Work permits can be hard if not impossible to get if you're an average person with average skills.

Local respect goes a long way. If you're an ***, offensive, messing around with someone's love you're asking for it if working under the table. Kindness, consideration, genuine respect and an appreciation of the local culture can help you....not ultimately protect you though.

Don't expect to pull in somewhere and get a job. Even if you don't need the money at a certain point in time do keep your feelers out for possibilities. Try staying ahead of the money game if you can.

If you have a real skill, start calling and emailing people before you get there to see if anyone knows of something. Maybe you can go for a length of time just crusiing, then planning to stop-over at some specific place to work. If you are palnning ahead, try looking for places where your legal working status is ok. A deportation stamp in your passport is not good according to people I've met that got nabbed. You are marked and will be forever suspect in the next port. Time for a new passport then!

Hope this helps you somehow.....half of the fun is trying to figure out how to get by anyway! What's that saying about entering the dark forest where there is no path???

best - J
Old 07-06-2007, 08:55 AM   #48
Lieutenant

Home Port: Mackay
Vessel Name: Dreammaker

Thankyou for your responses.

I think I'll think ahead as deportation wouldn't be good. The legal way is always the best way and with my practical skills in engineering I shouldn't be too bad off.

I've got time to think, I won't be doing anything until I learn to sail first.

Thanks
Old 08-20-2007, 04:46 PM   #49
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by RdotC View Post
Hi,

There's a lot of useful information here which is confirmed by long terms sailors. The truth is - there is an intangible thing about how much it costs - YOU and YOUR attitude. I am a minimalist and I have learnt to live on the smell of an old rag.
A very inspirational, as well as practical, minimalist cruising sailor in the UK, is A.C. Stock, who cruises the Thames estuary and English east coast in his 16ft wooden sailing cruiser called `Shoal Waters'. He claims never to have used any motor or electronics in many decades of cruising. Its all described in `Sailing Just for Fun' (check this on Amazon etc). Extreme but fascinating!

Regards BS