Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-30-2007, 05:02 AM   #1
XTR
Ensign

Default CSY 44 = Gulfstar 44 ??

I've been shopping cruisers for a while and in the older cruiser arena I like the CSY 44's. In general they seem to be good boats for 30yo boats.

Most of the CSYs were walkovers, I know that after CSY went away the walk through model was built under the Antigua name.

I've found that the Gulfstar 44 looks like the same boat. Is it? is it built to the same quality as the CSY?

Old 01-30-2007, 09:00 AM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

I owned a CSY44 for several years and thought it was a wonderful boat. It is built like a tank and can take you safely around the world. I'm not sure about the Gulfstar 44.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:28 AM   #3
Ensign

XTR. Damaged 1977 CSY 44 for sale at www.yachtsalavage.com
Old 01-31-2007, 08:39 AM   #4
Admiral

Hmmmm...for $18K, if the engine and interior are in good shape, this is a good fixer-upper for sure.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/pl_...g_id=13304&url=
Old 01-31-2007, 11:07 AM   #5
XTR
Ensign

I've sent an E mail asking about that one and they didn;t respond.

Looking at that boat seems to reinforce the perception that CSY44s were built like battleships.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:17 AM   #6
Admiral

The damage seems superficial. The glass on the CSY is the thickest you'll find on any boat ever built since they were designed for charter with the ability to take out coral heads without sinking.

The teak work is easy and fun, the gel-coat and paint is nothing. The Perkins engine is easy as cake to work on (<font color="red">ah just saw that it has a Westerbeke 60hp...I don't think that is original equipment</font id="red">) and the winches you would want to update anyhow. You could probably have her in sailing condition for less than $10K assuming the damage to the hull hasn't compromised the structure and seaworthiness.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:32 AM   #7
Lieutenant

Home Port: Road Town
Vessel Name: Various
Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot

We still have alot of CSY 44s left in the Caribbean and they are becoming a classic sought after boat, due to their massive construction (built to wooden scantlings before it was realised how strong fibreglass was). The going rate for a good one is around 120k, a middling one 90k and a serious fixer upper is still going for 60k. It would seem you have found a gem. There is also a CSY owners' web-site which I saw a few years ago which listed all known CSYs and their owners. I've lost the site but I bet its google-able (hey, that'sa nice word!) Tony
Old 02-01-2007, 04:35 AM   #8
XTR
Ensign

I've questioned them about whether or not it sank but they say all the info they ahve on the boat is on the site.

i think I need to go look at it.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:28 AM   #9
Admiral

I don't think you can go wrong taking a look at the boat in person. From the picture they show, the hull should be just fine.

When does the bidding begin & end?
Old 02-09-2007, 08:20 PM   #10
Ensign

I'm also interested in the Gulfstar, How dose the 44 compare with the 45 Gulfstar Hirsh in sailing ability???
Old 02-10-2007, 01:24 AM   #11
Ensign

Wow - I agree with Trim50 about the damaged CSY44 ("Shamu")! From the description and photos it looks like a relatively easy repair job (and relatively inexpensive). Even if you had to replace the engine, you'd be well ahead of the game. But of course, pictures may not be showing all potential problems. I agree that your best bet is to physically go and inspect the vessel - could be a very nice boat in the end for very little cost. Good luck!
Old 02-10-2007, 03:07 AM   #12
XTR
Ensign

The CSY44 is in NorthEast MS. (Luka, MS) As best i can figure out it's off of a lake formed by a dam on the TN river on the MS/ALA/TN border.

It's a lake boat, (a small lake at that). It will have zero for offshore/cruising gear and close to $15000 in trucking costs to get it to the ocean.

$15k to truck it, 10 to 20K in outfitting, and another 10K in repairs,maybe more + whatever it sells for. You can buy one in good shape for not a lot more.

You'll not be able to finance it in it's current condition, so unless you've got close to $60k and the time to fix it up I think it may not be worth it. Evem then, you're approacing the price of a boat in good shape somewhere else.

(Oh yea, and there are no surveyors anywhere near there that I can find)