Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 02-20-2010, 01:45 PM   #1
Wanabee

Home Port: Wirral

Out of the blue, I have become quite interested in a CT41 which is being offered at a price that I can actually afford - an otherwise very pleasant surprise.

Haven't seen her up closer yet but she's apparently in good nick for her age !1972!). doesn't have teak decks, has plenty of recent updtaes including 6001 autopilot, windvane, wiring, standing rigging, cabin heating etc and managed to find her way back from west coast USA thru Panama to the UK over the last three/four years.

Besides her age, what's making me a bit twitchy, however, is a required repair to the coach roof to deck joint which is apparently "leaking but not badly in a couple of places"! This repair has apparently been attempted before her recent long passage but seemingly was not done as well as it might have been.

I won't budge without getting a survey, of course, but if anyone's got any thoughts on the CT41 as a sailing yacht, liveaboard, I'd be interested to hear them along with any experience of the coach roof to deck joint problem or, indeed, any other things to look out for.

Thanks for your help and patience with me in this; I am getting there but so many things of absolutely no importance seem to keep getting in my way!

Old 02-20-2010, 07:55 PM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Hi there, Glad to hear that you've found a nice boat of interest to you.

I do know a fellow and his wife who lived aboard a CT41 of that vintage and loved it. They lived in the Pacific Northwest (USA). He had the boat for about 10 years ending in 2006 when his wife began to have health problems making it impossible to live aboard. He was "boatless" for two years and then purchased a Tayana 37 which he uses as home-away-from home here in California while he is on business travel (about 1 week a month). He loved the CT very much and found it to be a wonderful liveaboard. Their location was pretty sheltered and they didn't get out and do a lot of serious sailing, but did use the boat enough to know that it was a good boat.

I understand that the design is a Bill Garden design--he did many fine cruising boats and I'd expect this one to be on par with the others from the design perspective. Making sure that the "new" updated standing rigging is in keeping with the original design is something you might be looking into. Too many people insensitively "upgrade" their rigging to something heavier than the boat was intended to have...and that can lead to problems/unintended consequences in the structure of the boat. Including...deck to hull juncture overloading. I don't know that that has anything to do with your particular boat's deck-hull seam problem, but you might look into it.

The deck to hull seam is a critical juncture on any sailing vessel. It is heavily loaded while you're under sail and if there are any problems with it (original design, repair, or whatever) you'll have leaking at a minimum and reduced performance and/or hull degradation at the other end of the spectrum. I know nothing about the construction of your particular boat so can't help you there with more than these general comments. Can only advise that you get in touch with other owners of similarly constructed vessels (Ct, Formosa, Mariner, Island trader, Seawolf).

Good luck!

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:02 PM   #3
Wanabee

Take your point about new rigging, Red, but, if it were deck to hull, I woudn't even be here talking about it. Apparently it's coach roof to deck which I guess, in my general ignorance, may be more to do with general flexing rather than rig loading.

If your friends sold their CT41 in 2006, we could, of course, even be talking about the same boat cos she was purchased on the west coast around that time; what an odd coincidence that'd be! Do you have a name?

See ya!
Old 02-20-2010, 09:22 PM   #4

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

I'll ask the fellow next time I see him.. not sure I have his email/phone.

Sorry about the confusion. When you said coach roof to deck--I was thinking roof=flat horizontal and heard "deck" and though "deck to hull"! Guess I can't read.

General flexing of the deck can be a problem for coach house to deck seams. Those would be vertical coach house walls to deck though... On the other hand, coach roof could be poorly attached to coach walls...

Oh more dot.dot.dot thouhts here...general flexing of the deck and coach house roof can indicate that your deck isn't properly supported/structurally sound and there may be pumping with sailing loads...are there compression posts near the masts to keep pumping at bay? This isn't common in a fiberglass boat but is important in a wooden boat. What sort of carlin equivalent exists around the coach house (so the deck alone takes the rig loads) if the coach house isn't up to the structural loading? I'm all the way back to looking at your rig again. Must have a one track mind, eh?

Good luck with the boat. Keep us in the loop about how it goes, too.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:22 PM   #5
Wanabee

I may have just found my answer

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-review-...chiao-ct-2.html

and some previous items in the same thread are probably quite enough to suggest a potentially major problem and dampen my ardour.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:46 PM   #6
Admiral

The issue of leaks at the coach to deck roof joint being discussed is quite a common problem with many designs not only the CT 41s - includes power boats as well. Depending on the extent, age and position of the leak will determine how difficult a repair can be achieved successfully. A fairly intensive invasive survey is required to establish rot infection and method and material necessary to repair and make good the joint.

Repairs can be made successfully, provided that the person/s have the right experience. All depends.

P.S.: found this link which is very applicable ROT
Old 02-22-2010, 12:00 AM   #7
Admiral

To indicate the typical area where problems occur - here is an immaculate CT 41 which does not have any problems but merely shown to illustrate - see Red arrows :-
Attached Thumbnails
CT41.jpg  
Old 02-22-2010, 07:23 AM   #8
Wanabee

Thanks for all your help in this; the article about rot was particularly interesting - made it all sound so simple!.

(Un)fortunately, I now understand that the boat in question has been sold and I'm back to my wishin' an' dreamin' an' hopin' an'......

... but the good news is that I've begun better to understand and accept the charms of some of the older boats around and, indeed, available at pretty reasonable prices! The danger now, of course, is that I become enamoured of something that is way beyond my ken and .... !
Old 01-22-2013, 04:59 PM   #9
Ensign

Home Port: Portland, OR

Is this thread still alive? I am in process of looking at a CT41 and would like to hear from folks experienced with this kind of boat to ask some questions about what to look for. I am somewhat familiar with the potential problem spots, but never had or sailed on one, so have some specific questions. Thanks, Steve