Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-04-2011, 12:43 AM   #21
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildernesstech View Post

Wow, can't quite stay out of this one... Please stop to consider why "you" called this post "desperate" measures. I travel with minimal insurance also. We own two cruising boats, one of full-keel design and one that is a fin-keel. We are anchored right now in a storm in the Caribbean (thankfully not a big one). I won't be as nice as most here, simply because I care (Not implying that they don't, for I know them better than that): 250 feet of 3/8ths BBB in the bow of a 35 foot boat is WAY too much weight unless you LIKE to pitch (hobby-horse) across the ocean. I love the design of the smaller boat, BUT... We live on a 34 foot boat, and it simply is the SMALLEST boat we would want to be on other than our 32 which has a better storage design. If you are not leaving until 2014 you have plenty of time to fix what you have. There is VERY little space for books, equipment, and stores on the smaller boat. ONE anchor and One rode does not make one safe... We are lying with two at the moment, 30 feet of chain on the Bruce, and 45 degrees off of that one 70 feet of chain on the Manson Supreme (The Rocna and the CQR and their rodes are still in the lazurette). IF our boat could comfortably carry more we would (Going to get a big light Fortress and a fisherman YET). Sounds like you need the advice of a good marine electrician more than another boat. Our Pearson is quite spartan, even down to the composting head. Our Tartan has all the bells and whistles except AC (but we have a WindScoop). When we sail the Pearson down here, I will really miss our refigerator on the Tartan. I will miss the hot and cold running water. But we will have more practical storage space, and a berth that is midship and more comfortable at anchor. Our Tartan draws 6'6" loaded to cruise and we may not be able to moor in the local field due to depth at low tide. Our Pearson draws 4'8" loaded to cruise and can go so many more places. If we could mix and match the best of both boats we might get OUR perfect boat, with the emphasis on "might". That said, We only know what will work best for us (but we learned alot of that here), and you only know what will make you happy. I sail larger boats for a living, so I know that they are not the answer for us. And I sail smaller boats for others to get them from place to place after they find them too small for their needs... Each seems to have a different reason. Conversely, I have two friends who sail Dana 24s that swear they are the only boat they will ever want. No one here can tell you what will trip your trigger, but please quit being so hard-headed when they offer advise you came here asking for... I promise, they are only trying to help!
G'day 'Seafarer' Please read - very carefully & several times over what Brenda/David Adams (W-tech) have said. They have/are doing what you are dreaming about. Sure hope you get there. Their comment "I promise, they are only trying to help!" is absolutely true. Now, to what you want to take vs what you do take. Suggest you drastically shorten your 'wish-list'. When (not if) the SHTF you will have only yourself to council as to what you have on board & really needed & likely only yourself to get you out of the delima you got yourself into. So make your decissions very carefully!!!! Now to the matter a welder on board. Don't care about 'why' however - if - I wanted to take a one, I'd pick-up my 170amps, 6.5kgs(14lbs), 60% @ 110amps duty-cycle, using 3.2 mm rods plus 3 packs of rods, put them in a waterproof - air-tight box & stow them low & central & all of that for under $500.00. So - what's your problem? Far more important matters to be considered, like anchoring gear & where to store it while cruising. All anchor gear might best be stowed in a box on the cabin sole at the front of the mast with only a medium pick & chain up on deck in the same location. By all means - keep 100's of kilos/lbs away from the 'pointy-end' as 'W-tech'team has advised. IMHO - My 2 cents worth. Much more to be said about all your 'posts' however we need to be sure you're absorbing what we say although the final call is yours, of course. Ciao, james We are all 'here-to-help', wishing you safe sailing & good times & fine winds, that's a 'given' !!!