Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 10-24-2012, 03:10 AM   #15

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

Hi Stephen, no the quicksilver I had was PVC. The seams went in the end, there was a small leak along one that was hard to track down, I ignored it for a while (the dinghy was fine, it just needed more air every 48 hours or so) and then after about another year the seams started all going everywhere at once. The tubes on my achilles and the ones on my quicksilver are about the same size. There are a lot of different models of each, though.

Old 11-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #16
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Has anyone any experience with the Maxxon inflatable boats. Definitely well priced and the specs look good. Defender has the 8'8" for $600. Seems like a bargain, but I don't know anything about them.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #17

Hi Auzzee, there are a lot of different types of low end cheap inflatable boats around. Google any of the chandleries up and down the east coast and they will all have their own specials, even Whitworths has a "Chinese Cheapie" for a bit over $600.

All of the ones I have seen reviewed have one thing in common -- cheap glued (not welded) PVC and poor quality construction. Several folks at the marina I was at the year before last bought some that were going on a "fell off the back of a truck sale" and none lasted more than 6 months.

I am not trying to cast aspersions as to the Maxxon brand but check out the specs and have a really close eyeball at it if you're going to get something at that price.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #18
Admiral

Thanks Del. I am still in the research phase and there is a lot of conflicting information out there. This is particularly so in the hot welded versus cold glued discussion. With PVC and especially where rollup or folded dingies are concerned is seems the quadruple overlap cold glued system comes up trumps.

Hyperlon seems to be more suited to the molecular bond provided through heat welding. I am a long way from making a decision at this stage but Maxxon stands out in the cheapie department because of the fabric type and the 5 year warranty on seams.

I have looked carefully at the more expensive range ($12-$1500) and can't help but think the extra $600 will buy a reasonable amount of tucker...or an AIS.

I may well make the wrong decision in time...but if that is the case, it will be the world's mose well researched blunder.
Cheers.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:42 PM   #19
Commander

Home Port: St. Augustine FL
Vessel Name: Linnupesa

As an unbiased opine and not having a dog in the race, I find the Hypalon ( I believe is the correct name ) used in the Avon (all Avons?) to have great UV-resistance as well as sturdy seams. Mine has lived for years now 24/7 either on deck upside down or in the water. Almost no visible signs of deterioration. The bottom that collects mussel-spawn I treat with diluted hydrochloric acid on occasion and have not noted any ill effects from this barbaric treatment either.

Gluing Hypalon is a bit tricky and takes some ketone-based (?) primer etc. but can be done. The "liquid tape" used by electricians seems to work well enough for temporary patches or a season.

Anything PVC does not seem to have the same robustness as the hypalon in a SUNNY clime and I'd consider PVC only for limited or temporary use. Like in water wings or a rubber ducky.

Ivo s/v Linnupesa
Old 11-04-2012, 04:05 AM   #20
Admiral

Thanks Linnupesa. I appreciate your thoughts. In researching the differences, I come across the same things over and over again. (1) PVC today is not the same PVC that was used for making boats 15-20 years ago. It is far better. (2) Hypalon is UV resistant whereas PVC will degrade over tme. (3) The Hypalon coating is harder wearing than PVC. (4) Hypalon is twice the price. (5) Hypalon is more reliably repairable.

So far, Hypalon leads the race. But then the next point is made over and over in literature from all camps: (6) Hypalon is not as suitable for roll up dinghies as is PVC.

So here's the dilemma. Given that I want an 8'+ roll up and that I won't carry it on deck when cruising, UV is not the major problem. It will be deflated and rolled frequently (especially on the Pacific crossing). I don't think the 'micro leaks' which are warned of in the various sources I have read are wildly significant for the Hypalon material when used in a roll up, but still, the warnings are there. The sizes I am looking at suggest I will be paying either 6 to 700 dollars for PVC, or 11 to 1300 for Hypalon. Then, there are the warnings that all Hypalon boats are not created equal.....

Bugger!

Old 11-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #21
Commander

Hi Auzzie

thanks for your research. I didn't know about some of what you have dug up there. These days I find most products tending towards "cheaper and nastier". The engineers focus on cutting corners and designing in a life expectancy that hopefully will just outlast the warranty. Preferably only briefly, so that you must make many (happy?) return trips to the emporium.

I'd a thunk PVC would have fit in that category too, but it likely was cheaper to just perfect a timed-disintegration glue for dinks.

Cynical? Me?? Noooo way!

Yup, bugger that.

Ivo
Old 11-05-2012, 01:58 AM   #22
Admiral

Maybe I'll nick a kali float and stick an outboard bracket on the back.

I think my problem stems from a lifetime of dissatisfaction with dinghies. I've had timber clinker and pram, aluminium tinnies, GRP traditional and twin keeled, inflatable rib, hardfloor and blow-up floor, and an injection moulded plastic thingy.

All have had their advantages and drawbacks. I'm still looking for the holy grail!

Without doubt the best was a 10'6" Hypalon Avon RIB. But, that was on my last boat (LOD 55'). Now I have a smaller boat and want to stow the dinghy below when voyaging...and, as I have an aversion to marinas, I need a combination ding which sadly, doesn't exist.

Maybe I should call Toyota with a design brief.....

Old 11-05-2012, 04:21 AM   #23
Commander

Be careful of what you wish for.. it may need a 450lb Li-ion battery to be fully "gr$$n $n$rgy" compliant.

Ivo
Old 11-05-2012, 05:49 AM   #24

Auzzee, I'm not sure what you've seen that says that Hypalon isn't suitable for roll-ups. I've had my Hypalon roll-up for some time and it's great. Spoke to several others in the same marina that have had Hypalon roll-ups for years as well and no problems with any of them. Achilles seems to make quite a few roll-up Hypalon models.

My concern from your point of view would be the life expectancy of PVC in the tropics. Way less than that of Hypalon.

The last PVC ducky I bought I was told "oh yeah but this is the all new PVC, it doesn't degrade as fast as the old PVC". It still died in 3-4 years and that was in Sydney conditions.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:23 AM   #25
Admiral

Yup..I'm tending toward the 8'+ model of the Achilles hypalon rollup similar to yours. It has a good reputation and is reasonably priced.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:38 PM   #26
Ensign

I notice you got answers about every kind of dinghy BUT a slatted floor. My advice is stay away from slatted floors. Have one made by Western Marine and it is a piece of junk !! Talked to others who have had the same problems. The slats break easily, the bottoms don't stay tight and if fact mine has torn off twice and still leaks. These problems seem to be common to slatted floors giving the dinghy a 3 to 5 year life only, after that they are junk. Sailor H
Old 01-05-2013, 03:01 AM   #27
Admiral

Home Port: Sydney
Vessel Name: Keppelena & Shenoa

Build one of these?

Dinghy plans for the spatially challenged

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:03 AM   #28
Admiral

Thanks SH. The slatted floor dings are generally referred to as roll-ups. I appreciate your critique of the style. I wonder if the Achilles (which generally gets good wraps) suffers from the same problem as your Western marine job. Also is 'Western Marine' distinct from 'West Marine' or are they one and the same animal?