Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 04-27-2012, 05:52 AM   #15

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Welcome back, Lexx,

Enjoy the forums

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:27 AM   #16
Lieutenant

Home Port: Gisborne
Vessel Name: Balaena Bay

I've a 32 Atkin's "Thistle" in ferro built by Sayers, Whangarei , NZ about 1978. Its a delightful yacht thats easy to maintain, well the hull is. Sails sweetly and is proven to be tough and dependable. A well built ferro will be great yacht. They have a delightful quietness through the water thats magic.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:02 PM   #17
Rear Admiral

I now own a 42 foot Robert Tucker designed Ferro Epoxy Cutter Rigged Sloop. I am very happy with "Travesty" but she does need a bit of wind to move her along. I am in Port Doulas for the foreseeable future and am always wiling to meet others.

Hey Travesty! - you're just up the road from us and I think we've seen you on occasions when we've been up that way around Low Isles. Nice vessel

While in complete ignorance of Ferro vessels I have seen a couple recently that I would have sworn were glass fibre. Obviously the build techniques have improved amazingly. The vessels we saw were an epoxy ferro combo and I'm assuming that the epoxy simply replaced the water to create the slurry mix? Both skippers said it takes just a bit longer to get them up and trucking along but they were still beautiful vessels.

The only question I have is what do you do about repairs? We have a couple of cans of epoxy & hardener with some glass roving under the forwad bunk but we're scratching our head as to whererwe would stow the cement mixer and wheel barrow if Mico was a ferro

Fair winds,

Mico
Old 04-28-2012, 12:40 AM   #18
Capt'n

Home Port: Port Douglas
Vessel Name: S/V Travesty

Hey Mico,

I usually go out to Lowe every couple of weeks with friends, nice spot to relax with a few drinks. Thinking of going to Snapper for a weekend fishing soon.

Repairing the hull is pretty easy, most two pac epoxy fillers work well. Over the years for small scrapes from the likes of ring bolts on mooring poles I have found Plastibond to be really effective. Its two pac, sticks like crazy, water proof, can be sanded, drilled, tapped and hardens in just a few minutes. Always keep some on the yacht.

Travesty loves anything between 15 and 30 knots. On a recent trip back from Townsville we averaged 6.2 knots for the trip on the GPS and topped 10.1 knots at one stage with the kite flying. Anything under about 10 to 12 knots and we motor sail.

Am thinking of sailing down to Cairns and exploring a bit in a few weeks time. I wanna spend some time at Fitzroy as well with friends from Cairns.

Lex
Old 04-28-2012, 04:18 AM   #19
Rear Admiral

That's not bad going. Give us a shout when you're down this way. We're sitting in Yorkies Marina at the moment. Fitzroy has undergone a few changes with the new resort - don't anchor close to the jetty if you want to get any sleep on a Saturday night - it's party town! There are still a few marine park moorings about there. One opposite Nudie Beach down the southern end, two just in side the southern end of the bay and another two around the northern side and even though they are close to the cliff, in a SWerly they are pretty calm. Just don't get caught there in a northerly change.

Fair winds,

Mico
Old 04-30-2012, 06:02 AM   #20
Capt'n

Home Port: Port Douglas
Vessel Name: S/V Travesty

Thanks Mico, I stopped at Fitzroy last September bit it was just fo the night on a delivery I was doing. We day trip Lowe and Snapper here regularly but I have fiends in Cairns who usually come up so for a change of pace I was thinking of sailing down to Cairns one day, doing a long day trip to Fitzroy the next and coming back to Port the day after. Will make a nice 3 day weekend for me.

Lexx
Old 01-30-2013, 11:36 PM   #21
Ensign

Home Port: Calgary

Hello! New to the forum and I am a want-to-be sailor! My dad sailed when we lived in Australia late 50's early 60's. That became a passion! After reading many books he chose to build his Samson 32' C- Mist in Canada a 1000 km away from the ocean. He bought the blue prints & motor in 1972 in Vancouver. We moved to Prince George where he waited until the funds grew enough to start building. He made the braces and a few cheap items over the year but never made enough money to start to really build. He was a great wood worker and a craftsman in everything he did. He started to build the hull in late 80's. Finished it by gathering crate wood that were made from teak and mahogany picking up from different stores for free. Because he was not working he also went out in the forest and cut down trees to build cabinets. He went around to truck and auto shops to gather wheel weights for ballast. He started to roll in the money when turning 65 (haha Canada pension plan!) and moved the hull to the out skirts of Vancouver to finish the boat and get it ready for the maiden voyage in I think June of 1993. My brother and I took turns with my dad sailing around between Vancouver and the island. The weight of the boat helps to cut through the waves and be smoother than lighter boats. It was an awesome time and I will never forget it! It was my first sailing adventure and I continue with the bug! As I get older my yearning gets stronger!

I wish my dad was still with us to tell us of his first Pacific crossing. However he didn't make it! The doldrums and a lack of radio antenna not giving him enough distance to contact help more than 50 miles away! He finally got a hold of a British merchant ship that resupplied him with 40 days of food and water. They told him he was too sick, wanted to sink his boat to save him. He politely told them to continue on! As if he was going to give up on his first real sail! Six months later the boat was found still afloat with a broken mast and a couple of feet of water in her but no sailor! The fishing vessel hooked onto Te Ava Roa and hauled her toward Hawaii. But after 3 days of high seas and their tow rope breaking in as many days. They went on board to remove a few things and later the coast guard returned them to my Mum. After going completely underwater several time while under tow in high seas and less than a day away they had to cut her loose. At that point she had over 4 feet of water in her. I am sure creatures in the sea have made a good home of her now for many ferro years to come! That was 18 1/2 years ago now! Dad was 67 years old when he passed but hey he died living!

Just passing this on to the world of C-Mists out there! I was reading this blog when I came across C-Mist owners comments and thought to add my own memories...
Old 01-31-2013, 01:05 AM   #22
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

It's always sad when any great adventure turns to disaster. I am sure your Dad was a fine man who would be proud to know one of his offspring shares his dreams.

Much has changed in 18 years and contact, anywhere on the planet, is merely a satellite phone call away. I hope you have the chance to live your dream. My love of sailing comes from my father's connection to the sea also.

As I ponder this year's Pacific crossing, he remains at 86, my most staunch supporter.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:31 AM   #23
Admiral

Home Port: Sydney
Vessel Name: Keppelena & Shenoa

That is the story of one very persistent man. I admire his determination but hope I don't share his fate.

Yes, I have a ferro. Actually I have two of them, both Hartleys.

Rob

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:51 PM   #24
Ensign

Home Port: Rockhampton
Vessel Name: Cool Change
Default Is thread still active

Hi, I was just wondering if this thread is still active, last post in 2103.

I have managed to acquire a Hartley RORC 39, slightly damaged in a cyclone we had earlier this year, all well above water line. Some previous minor repairs not done properly, and she doesn't have a mast.

The mast missing doesn't worry me, I got her at the right price, and as my cruising is fairly limited to a river system, sailing is not really an option.

Previous boat was a small 28' motor boat.

Basically joining the forum to see what the rest of the world does.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:12 AM   #25
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Welcome. I am sure Haiqu will be on to you quickly. He has experience with refitting a couple of Hartleys. Lots of knowledge about ferro boats on the forum. If you need specific advice regarding the renovation, please call.
Cheers.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:16 PM   #26
Ensign

Home Port: weymouth ma
Default ferro cement

Built this myself, lunched in 1980 and have lived on board for 25 years. nothing rides like cement. I live on a mooring in the summer and at a slip for the winter. boat is a Samson design 40 foot over all. The mast look like wood but they are aluminum. Cabin house is plywood glass over,deck are cement.
motor is 43 hp diesel. I am putting in a new 57 HP Yanmar diesel this summer.
I keep the boat in Weymouth MA. USA witch is next to Boston.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0923.jpg (81.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0922.jpg (99.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0858.jpg (104.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0921.jpg (95.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg wailer.jpg (49.6 KB, 2 views)
Old 04-16-2015, 02:52 AM   #27
Ensign

Home Port: Rockhampton
Vessel Name: Cool Change

Very nice htcracing, must have been a big job building her.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:10 PM   #28
Admiral

Home Port: Sydney
Vessel Name: Keppelena & Shenoa

You should find this useful:

Wooden Mast and Spar building

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote