Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 02-19-2007, 09:18 PM   #15
Lieutenant

It is my gut feeling that thousands, if not millions of people swim in the ocean every day. However, people that jump in, swim around, and get out without seeing so much as a sardine, let alone a shark, don't generally make the front page of the newspaper. I would take a guess that for every person that gets attacked by a shark, there are one hundred thousand or more that don't. Off course, this sort of thing will always be a personal decision and there is not inherently right or wrong answer, but for me at least, the small risk of shark attack will always be outweighed by the pleasure of a cool swim.

Old 02-26-2007, 01:07 AM   #16
Ensign

Has anyone seen the recent release video "Adrift" ?

We have not but noticed the title in the Video rentals last week. The cover describes the story of 6 people cruising the Bahamas, deciding on a dip, they set the anchor but forgot to put in the boarding ladder, they could not get back on board. Now, surely even with a fully overhung vessel, six people should be able to help someone shimmy up the anchor rope or chain.

Perhaps it is one of those Hollywood cringe movies, like Verticl Limits is to climbers and mountaineers.

Don't remember who authored the saying, but I liked it.
ribbony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:07 AM   #17
Ensign

I've done this several times offshore of Kona:

Out of sight of land ... maybe not.

And there is stuff to see out there .
Old 12-03-2010, 06:55 PM   #18
Rear Admiral

Home Port: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Coyote

http://homepage.mac.com/mollet/Io/Mako8_29_99.html

Biologist kills a 10 foot Maco with a spear. Won the contest.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:48 AM   #19
Admiral

There are places in the world where experts dive with sharks - one such place is Gans Bay off the Cape of Good Hope. These sharks are the real travelers, moving from the Americas to Africa and on to Australia. Here are a some pictures of one that was caught and killed after it killed a surfer who had often swum with sharks :-

Great White 2.jpg

Great White 1.jpg

Great White 3.jpg

Great White 8.jpg

For those who might stomach an image of someone who swam with above shark, send PM request.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:34 PM   #20
Ensign

May years ago, I was on a trip across the Indian ocean, and on very calm days (and I mean no wind at all), we would jump in and out, lather up and wash and jump in again, and then use about one cup of fresh water each in a pressured sprayer to rinse in a fine mist...one time there were 4 of us in the water splashing around and I was inspecting the hull with a mask...Usually there is nothing out there in the big blue, but suddenly I saw lots of small fishes, and a second later a head on view of a 6 to 7 ft shark...about 3 or 4 metres away...that was only for a split second before I screamed shark at everyone and raced back to the ladder to get out...everyone else thought I was joking till they saw a fin and then it was a mad scramble to get out...After that, the shark hung around and we tried to catch it using corned beef of all things.. we had it take the hook, on a handline..(gloves)...but we lost it.. (I was only 19 at the time)

Since then I have sailed the Atlantic 3 times, the Pacific and a few other places, and have often swum around the boat, sometimes to fix something other times for fun...just not for very long...5 minutes at the most..- so I guess if you are going to do it, give yourself a time limit.. - it takes a while for a shark to discover the source of the disturbance.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:48 AM   #21
Ready, Willing, and Able

Home Port: Fort Worth

One day when becalmed half way from Hawaii to San Francisco I jumped overboard for a swim. Of course the sails were down and boarding ladder down and a floating line in the water. It was something to look down below my feet and think of the 18,000 feet of water below me as I floated at the surface. I had a mask on, and took a few snaps with a primitive underwater camera. There was nothing to see. No small fish and nothing but blue and light rays from below (an illusion). But with sharks (the worry of everyone) it is the ones you don't see that are most likely to get you.