Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-02-2008, 03:07 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Hello All, I dont know if this is the right spot for this but here goes... And THIS IS A LONG SHOT - We work from April 1 thru December 1 at landscaping . We would like to sail during the Winter months - Dec thru March.....

Is there anyone out there who is looking to sail during the Summer Months and would consider splitting the ownership of a Catamaran.

I have considered all the downsides so back round checks and compatibility would be a must. We cant afford to Charter for 4 months and We do not want to leave the boat for the Summer. Costs would be split , other details can be worked out.

Let me know if you have any ideas or are interested in an arrangement like this .

I remain

Tom in the Berkshires

Old 01-02-2008, 03:20 PM   #2
Rear Admiral

It is rare, rare, rare to get a partnership to work. Why don't you buy into a charter plan for a purchase? Such as Moorings, or Sunsail.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:31 PM   #3
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
It is rare, rare, rare to get a partnership to work. Why don't you buy into a charter plan for a purchase? Such as Moorings, or Sunsail.
I have seen how the boats are treated and I think the contracts are too one sided . Plus they dont allow for enough sailing time in the winter ....I know what you mean about rare ........but who knows ?? Thanks for the reply
Old 01-02-2008, 05:27 PM   #4
Rear Admiral

Tom,

I had considered the Moorings, or something similiar when I first started sailing. After chartering from Moorings, and other companies over the years I backed away from that thought.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:36 PM   #5
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Farley View Post
I have considered all the downsides so back round checks and compatibility would be a must. Costs would be split , other details can be worked out.

Let me know if you have any ideas or are interested in an arrangement like this .
Hi Tom ,

We have covered this topic before, but I cannot readily find it.

To share a boat in terms of the arrangements that you outline will require far more knowledge, understanding, trust and EXPERIENCE of the person who will own the other half of the boat, than checks on back round and compatibility will reveal.

That Experience of the person/s will be that gained only from sharing it in the dimension of the sea and cruising. However well you may know them , whether friends or even family, you know them from another planet, a comfortable life ashore.

But the sea is different, an alien dangerous medium where a person's true character may quickly reveals itself as not being acceptable or compatible. This analogy applies equally to crew that accompany a skipper on a voyage. This aspect is also covered in Jimmy Cornell's surveys - read his latest book "Passion for the Sea" chapter 20, published by Noonsite.com. ISBN 978-0-9556396-0-9.

Notwithstanding what I have just said - the arrangement could work - but, it should in any case be formalized. It would probably work better with someone who is an active cruiser of independent means, and who is capable of maintaining the boat and all its components to an agreed standard.

Richard
Old 01-03-2008, 09:26 AM   #6
Wanabee

Home Port: Wirral

The subject was addressed briefly in a thread about Moorings ownership which a search on "Moorings" will find.

Personally I like the idea of a strong empathetic partnership with a good contract but recognise that, however good the respective partners intent and wording of the latter, it's not going to be easy - there again, most marriages do still actually work and there are a few made in heaven so .......!

See ya!
Old 01-03-2008, 11:11 AM   #7
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Owen View Post
most marriages do still actually work and there are a few made in heaven so .......!
Not sure that the analogy of marriage is that relevant to joint ownership and maintenance of a boat by people who don't use the boat at the same time.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:34 AM   #8
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Owen View Post
most marriages do still actually work and there are a few made in heaven so .......!
MOST marriages may work but ALL divorces started with marriage.

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 11:46 AM   #9
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
MOST marriages may work but ALL divorces started with marriage.
Had a divorce - hopefully a little older and wiser.......As I said in the original post - I know its a long shot but if anyone is looking for a situation like this ....lets talk....thanks to all of you for your input
Old 01-03-2008, 12:17 PM   #10
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Farley View Post
Had a divorce - hopefully a little older and wiser.......
Me too. Right now it looks as if my relationship with my boat is a lot more stable than my relationships with women. I am sure there is good reason for that but probably way off topic.

Good luck with your search.

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:27 PM   #11
Wanabee

Home Port: Wirral

Interesting point, Richard. I guess that it alls depends on to what degree you require an analogy to emulate the subject system or process, if it's 100%, most comparisons are useless and we're back in the dry old world of trying to measure absolute reality.

In this case I think that the analogy isn't all that bad. Taking your point, it all depends on what partners consider acceptable when they're not actually together; if there's no goodwill or trust, there's no point!

The intended message was one of hope; as long as that got across, I'm happy!

See ya!