Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-16-2007, 10:12 PM   #15
Ensign

Send a message via AIM to seaview31 Send a message via Yahoo to seaview31

If you are so worried why on earth you want to go cruising? Make no sence, you already build enough stress to have a heart attack!!!! take a cruise ship or see the world by plane I am afraid you never make it ,if you already have a yacht sail in your home waters,you ..However if you change your attitude and be more positive than by ALL MEANS GO FOR IT AS THERE IS NOTHING IN THIS PLANET SO FULLFILLING,THE JOY AND HAPPINESS SAILING ON A SAILING YACHT is total Bliss.I been sailing for over 25 years now and still feel that `pleasure of freedom` so go do not worried too much about pirates do your homework before you leave and you be ok

My best advise regarding your problem is that if you carry a fire arm you CAN CREATE HELL FOR YOU AND YOUR DEAR FAMILY. Having a gun aboard is always trouble,can you imagine shooting or killing someone say in a third world country? or if you do not declare the weopen and they search your ship which 99% in these counties they do and they find your gun you could be arrested ; beside a very heavy fine, and what about if a boat full of men armed with heavy weapens what can you do/or if the same boat heading towards your yacht and later you find that they were simple fishermen looking for cigarette s/whisky and you kill/injury one of them etc,etc I have experianced similiar situations in the Red Sea (sailed 5 times) Sri lanka and Cape Verde

Leave your gun at home;- enjoy the pleasure of cruising you never regreted.

Joseph

S.Y Bahhar

F31

Malta

Old 07-16-2007, 10:35 PM   #16
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Yes Robin, I get tired of this topic, but the site is dynamic and as such there are always new people seeking information. For the sake of those new participants, I suggested you couild re-present your opinion as often as you choose.

My concern is purely that you cease to label as cowards,those who disagree with you. Again I say that was particularly offensive to the majority of cruisers who may have wives, husbands, lovers and children to protect, as well as themselves and possibly a cat.

You will always be welcome here and you will always receive support as long as you don't adopt an offensive stance every time someone puts forward a contrary opinion.

Best wishes

David.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:59 AM   #17
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiAussie View Post
You can declare firearms to customs on arrival into Singapore.
I don't mean to be rude but to make a statement like that without a citation or some proof is downright reckless.

I have never heard that you can declare a firearm and have it OK with the Singapore government. I could perhaps see "bonding" the item, that is turning it over to customs until you depart but I doubt they would let you keep it on board during your stay.

The other surrounding Asian countries also have very stiff penalties for firearms.

My advice is simple - Don't take any advice on this from the internet. If you have weapons on board I would suggest "strongly" that you contact Singapore customs directly.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:56 AM   #18
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExCalif View Post
I don't mean to be rude but to make a statement like that without a citation or some proof is downright reckless.

The other surrounding Asian countries also have very stiff penalties for firearms.

My advice is simple - Don't take any advice on this from the internet. If you have weapons on board I would suggest "strongly" that you contact Singapore customs directly.
Very good advice.

Stating sources lends credibility.

The official US advice and saying is, "Know before you go."

The man in uniform and with the badge is not going to buy, "I read it on the internet...."

He may not even know what the internet is. He knows he has a stack of big books under the counter, (or a small pamphlet in his hip pocket) and that is what he is going by. That is what matters.

Harbor_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:04 AM   #19
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinsvoyage View Post
It's the Hard Knots not the Hard Knocks and it's on a trailer and hasn't been used since I pulled it out of the ocean in 2005.

Robin
Robin,

Please forgive my typo.

That is what I read and said (based upon your posts that you were not currently cruising.) Thanks for the confirmation and clarification.

Fair Winds,

Jeff

Old 07-17-2007, 08:54 AM   #20
Commander

I, from my own experience and from others in conversation by and large don't carry firearms. As Robin would know from cruising in Australia that your firearms are confiscated; there is no tolerence for civilians having firearms in Australia. A yacht from overseas will have the firearms removed and you must return to the port of entry to pick up your weapons on leaving Australia; or forfit. The areas where pirates opperate are well known so if you go into those areas your risks will increase of encounter with pirates. Most of the areas are totally free of pirates. Cruise in those areas and you won't need a gun!! If your approached by a local boat try being friendly but play it safe. Most want to trade or ask where you've come from etc..

Areas that piracy is a way of life be guarded because you may well need more than firearms if you want to keep them from approaching. Pull your 'pop gun' out and start waving it about and you will be taken out while they are still out of your firing range. You may well be red faced after the encounter but VERY LIKELY unharmed but missing some booze and cigarettes.

Finally don't NOT DECLARE your firearms; you will loose them for sure.

Regards

Peter
Old 07-17-2007, 09:07 AM   #21
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedouin View Post
I, from my own experience and from others in conversation by and large don't carry firearms.

Areas that piracy is a way of life be guarded because you may well need more than firearms if you want to keep them from approaching. Pull your 'pop gun' out and start waving it about and you will be taken out while they are still out of your firing range. You may well be red faced after the encounter but VERY LIKELY unharmed but missing some booze and cigarettes.

Finally don't NOT DECLARE your firearms; you will loose them for sure.

Regards

Peter
And what areas are those that piracy is a way of life?

What would happen in your estimation, if my female first mate and I sailed unarmed, into those areas with or without booze and cigarettes?

Old 07-17-2007, 09:20 AM   #22
Admiral

Well....you would breathe easy and not get drunk for a start!

Old 07-17-2007, 03:11 PM   #23
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

A friend of mine declared his shotgun when he arrived in Australia. He said they had what equated to a SWAT team show-up at the dock to take the shotgun. They then flew the gun to his port of departure which was Darwin on the other side of the country. He says they did not charge him for the shipment!
Old 07-17-2007, 06:27 PM   #24
Rear Admiral

It seems like "customs and guns" is a big hassle, with little purpose.

What is the point in taking guns, if they must be surrendered upon arrival in many countries, than often having to return to a specific location to regain possession, and upon arrival at the next country maybe repeating the procedure; over and over. It seems like the time, effort, expense, delays, and always having ones' character in question, simply to have your guns in a customs vault most of the time, is not worth it.

Every time we have the gun debate, people seem to fall in three groups:

* Those wondering and trying to determine what their personal choice should and will be

* Pro-arms, usually with little or no cruising experience

* Anti-arms, with cruising experience

I wonder if a fourth group exists:

* Those that arm, and have extensive cruising experience.

It would be good to hear their experiences, as well as from people that really had good and bad experiances going with arms.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:38 PM   #25
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbor_Pilot View Post
I wonder if a fourth group exists:

* Those that arm, and have extensive cruising experience.
They do exist...they will not tell you about it in a forum. In fact, I have seen them take an anti-gun position during conversation with other cruisers.

Personally, I can't image the stress associated with having customs searching your vessel when you know you have an undeclared weapon on board.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:33 PM   #26
Admiral

Two very dear friends of mine, who are the gentlest and most considerate of people have cruised with a weapon for the two years since they left their home port in Asia. They will not display their weapon and will not readily admit to having one. They mentioned their rifle to me only when I was talking to them of the debate which this topic generates on cruising forums.

Both the huband and wife, in their early 60's, took advanced weapons and close quarters combat training before leaving on their cruising adventure. They have cruised noted danger areas on their journey which has now taken them through Taiwan, Philippines, Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore, Indonesia, Australia, and the Western Pacific. They refuse to enter conversation which discusses guns on board, but told me they wish they did not have it...purely because of the problems it causes.

They took the weapon at the insistence of their grown children, and now claim the weapon has been a nuisance and they would not take it again. They describe declaration of the weapon as a major bureaucratic problem and in some cases have been forced to travel back to their port of entry to reclaim it. In every case of declaration, the rifle is impounded for the duration of their stay.They say that non-declaration threatens very serious consequences, and declaration means that in most cases when cruising near coastlines, (the area where theoretically they would be most prone to attack) they are without their weapon anyway.

I suspect they are a part of a majority who after commencing cruising realise that weapons are superfluous, but who continue to carry their weapon until they can dispose of it profitably and legally back in their country of origin. Well spotted Jeff.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:49 AM   #27
Commander

Hello 'Harbour Pilot', I think Aussie covered your comment better than I can. There are AREAS WHERE PIRACY HAPPENS. I'm not going to give a list that you can find yourself if you want it.

'What would happen to you if you and your lady sailed into a pirate area'? Well, I would hope you wouldn't be so stupid as to ask for trouble by doing something so reskless. But assuming you would by your question and if your not armed a lot less would happen than if you were armed and they saw a weapon or you started shooting. Pirates in the staights of Malacca are known to be very well armed and to have boarded freighters so I'm puzzled as to what you would arm yourself with for a yacht to fight them off - SAM missiles!

Peter
Old 07-18-2007, 12:20 PM   #28
Admiral

Hi KiwiAussie,

The cruising friends I referred to in my above post have just answered an emailed question. They commented that the procedure in Singapore was friendly, courteous and very professional. They were counselled about non declaration of any other weapons.

Australia, Thailand, Malaysia no problem. Extreme bureaucracy in Taiwan and they suspected the rifle had been fired by "Clint Eastwood", who collected the weapon in the Philippines. He claims they had difficulty in obtaining a receipt for the rifle in the Phils.

I think ExCalif may be mistaken about the rules in Singapore.

Cheers

David.