Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-02-2007, 11:59 PM   #1
Ensign

Well it's been a busy 2 weeks. My partner John and I did the sea trial of our Maxi 77 on April 20th. On April 21st we took the families out for a day sail and on the 26th we arranged the title transfer and licensing. At that point we thought we owned a boat.

After sailing Saturday and Sunday (April 28 & 29) we had her hauled out so that we could prep her properly and do some minor work. We were feeling really cocky because on Sunday while motoring around, we managed to fix the autopilot (wired wrong) and the compass which had tumbled. We thought we were cool!

After pulling all the cushions out for cleaning & disinfecting (or possibly burning as hazardous waste) I found that the starboard side stay had failed the anchoring plate at the hull. The stay has deck fittings and a carry through that goes thorugh the cabin into the hull and it is at the lower end that it failed ;-) We had inspected all the fittings as part of the survey but this must have been overlooked or was just ready to fail. We are so glad we found it on-shore and didn't fail the stay or the mast while underway so we are still considering ourselves lucky.

Now we are sure we own the boat ;-(

The mechanic that has been caring for the boat for years and I developed a repair scheme that I am pretty confident in and he has started work and says he will be finished early next week. While she is out we are also taking care of the following:

New flares, extinguisher and a couple of other safety items

New jib sheets

Replace the toilet seacocks

Replace the manual bilge pump

Install electric bilge pump

Replace all the cabin light fittings

Troubleshoot and repair the engine "idiot" lights (not working and I found a ton of pin corrossion - Now working - yay!)

New anchor rode

New docklines - made from old anchor rode

And we cleaned the bejesus out of it. Buckets of black water came out of the interior. It didn't look as bad as it was but now she sparkles inside and smells like a lady not a...

So all this is in prep for our first overnight! On May 12, 13 the club is organizing an overnighter about 30 miles away. The event is designed for relatively inexperienced boaters to get away from home base, anchor out and get some experience on the hook. There will be some experienced boaters along to help the newbies and they are bringing a couple of tenders as well. Looks like 4-6 boats in total.

It is an international trip to Malaysia as well up the Johor River so we will also get help and experience clearing out of Singapore and into Malaysia. There will be shore trips and on-shore sleeping for those who choose.

Any tips on this first cruise is appreciated as are any comments about the maintenance or anything else to check before we go.

Old 05-03-2007, 02:03 AM   #2
Admiral

ExCalif,

You don't say if your first cruise passage takes you into the Singapore Straights - where you may want to sail East >>>West towards the entrance to the Strait of Malacca. If it does, then you will need to KNOW before you leave ;- the times and direction of the Singapore Straits CURRENT.

Remember that it changes direction twice a day ! That the current in places will flow at more than 5 knots - and if this is against you - especially in one of the most crowded shipping lanes on the planet - then white knuckles/bad language will prevail. I have the link for the current if you do not already have it.

As far as your other question re maintenance check :- See the topic initiated by Peter Owen on Apr 25 "Regular Yacht Maintenance Tasks" and its subsequent threads.

Fair Winds

Richard

Old 05-05-2007, 11:29 AM   #3
Rear Admiral

Congratulations!

FIRST - Take your time to adapt to your new boat. Resist the urge to adapt the boat to your pre-conceived ideas on what will make it "perfect". Every boatyard "expert" knows that the easiest time to separate a new boat owner from the rest of his bankroll is during the first three months of ownership and I'm sure you already have lots of new friends who are "experts" at reovating boats. Give it a while and save your money for things you really need as you find the need.

SECOND - During your upcoming shakedown cruise to the Johor River - make a point to stop at Restauran Ikan Laut located on the Malay side of the Johor Straits, north of Pulau Uban. There you'll find a row of fishing docks and seafood restaurants which my memory tells me I had the best seafood meal in my entire life. Chili Crab - yum!

Enjoy your new life with your new boat,

Kirk