Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-03-2006, 05:08 AM   #1
Ensign

Default First time crew

As I mentioned earlier I am doing my first long voyage, 8 weeks, and was wondering what are things that irritate people about new crew members?

Being cramped in such a relatively small space you are bound to annoy each other at some point but what are things that new crew do that really annoy seasoned sailors and cause more aggravation than is necessary?

Old 05-03-2006, 07:00 AM   #2
Admiral

It's a two-way street. You are going to be annoyed, too! Some skippers are worse than others, and sometimes it's difficult to bite your tongue, but it's necessary to keep things going smoothly.

A sense of humor helps. So does being sure you're not seen as lazy. Arguing with the skipper, even when you think he's wrong, is just going to irritate everyone.

Since the only time we had crew, he was "perfect" (well, pretty close to it), I can't think of much that he did that was annoying.

Of course, he started our passage with the following statement to Peter: "You're the captain and I'm the crew. I do everything you tell me to do, and anything you don't want to do."

Starting out with that laugh, the rest was easy. Now I thought of something other skippers complained about. Our crew was immaculately clean! Absolutely important. His cabin was always neat and clean, he washed all the dishes and left the galley squeaky clean. Other skippers complained about crew who were just sloppy - personally, and leaving their cabin a mess.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 04:38 PM   #3
Commander

Do what is asked of you - plus a bit more. Don't go blindly off to do a task asked of you if you don't know what to do. Don't do anything because 'it seemed right at the time', check first that the skipper is OK with it and is aware what you are thinking of doing and he's fine with it. Don't argue, the skipper may have his ways of how things are done from experience with that vessel. Learn, keep your ears open and enjoy yourself.

Regards

Peter
Old 05-03-2006, 11:26 PM   #4
Rear Admiral

My "Pet Peave" is...

When you leave your cabin - make sure you close & dog any ports or hatches you may have opened.

The biggest problem we ever had with crew was while making a mad dash across the crowded shipping lane in the Eastern Approaches of Singapore. Our guest had opened and left the foredeck hatch open and we took a giant tanker's wave over our bow which absolutely drenched the entire V-berth. It pissed me off a bit and left our guest with a soaked bed to lay on... but we soon got over it, because we met WATERMELON later that very day and Peter & Jeanne were kind enough to invite our guest to become their guest as they sailed up into the Gulf of Siam.

Small World - Big Yacht Club

Colton, I'm impressed by your efforts to help ensure your upcoming sailing adventure is a stress-free and comfortable success.

I know you're gonna have an experience you'll remember the rest of your life... and I have a feeling that the captain will ask you to stay on as crew.

If you can find a way to sail away for eight weeks... you'll certainly find a way to make it a year!

When are you casting off? Where are you sailing? Come visit!

Happy Trails,

Kirk