Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 04-27-2006, 06:23 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Florida bound

Hello Folks, I suppose this query is really addressed to American cruisers who may have more detailed local knowledge,but please, if anyone else has personal experience I will be glad to listen. In April 2007 I will be bound from the British Virgin Islands to Florida.I have no time restraints (apart from seasonal weather) and intend using the Old Bahama Channel.

In Cornell's World Cruising Routes this particular route is not covered as it is considered to be " not an offshore passage " but "Island hopping" I have no intention of visiting either Hispaniola or Cuba and see from the charts if I stray outside the Channel I will need wheels to proceed!!

Apart from the normal navigational aspects of this passage is there any information that may be of value to me that someone who has actually made the passage might offer?

I appreciate the "outside" route may be easier,quicker etc: but I want to follow the route of a long distant relation ( well, not all the way..they hung him in the Dry Tortugas !!)Thank you. Pilgrim.

Old 04-27-2006, 02:59 PM   #2
Commander

Pilgrim:

You'll find the routing quite direct and the seasonal timing you've chosen to be ideal. A side benefit is that, if the boat should give you some problems, you have several places to stop along the way: Samana near the DR's eastern end and Luperon, the yachtie favorite and protected estuary, just past Puerto Plata. There's also a protected anchorage among the shallows near Manzanillo. The downside of your route is where the Channel thins considerably, you must remain outside Cuban waters (which they monitor closely) and also deal with fairly dense shipping traffic. Be sure to think about your watchstanding routine on this segment of your run, doubly so if you are short- or single-handed.

Jack

Old 04-28-2006, 06:12 AM   #3
Ensign

Thank you Jack,that's just the sort of information I was looking for. I've made a note of your suggestions and I appreciate your reply. Pilgrim

Tags
florida