Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-16-2007, 12:05 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Converted Post'
Originally posted by Spike_dawg

We talk about sharing costs but we really are talking about sharing life, the boat family and the people we meet in our travels. It's not about money at all...you can't buy this.
How I agree with that! One fellow in the Solomons wanted a pair of shoes, and I just happened to have a pair (too good to throw away but replaced with a "better pair") that fit him. When the fellow asked what we wanted to trade for them, Peter answered "whatever you feel it is worth to you." He brought back the most beautifully carved, and unique, Totizu. I was amazed and delighted, never thinking my old shoes were worth that much to anybody. Children would swamp our boat with limes; sometimes, I thought, just for the joy of gathering and seeing my appreciative face when they presented them to me.

However, it's the boats charging a "daily fee" for the privilege of working on somebody else's boat that concerns me, and I have heard from plenty of boats that did it. Where a person's presence on the boat increases the boat's checkin or checkout fees I can see that this should be reimbursed to the owner/skipper, but it's the "wear and tear", "insurance", "cost of the boat" fees that I take issue with. As soon as those "overhead" costs are charged, the crew is no longer a working, sharing-the-load crew but rather an income-producing passenger for the owner.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:31 AM   #16
Rear Admiral

When family or friends come crsuising with us, they usually do contribute to food / drink and also berthing costs over thier stay. I am sure this is the conventional 'etiquette' adopted by most.

I'm also not a lawyer, but I practically suggest the greatest risks of carrying anyone who may contribute to costs are that the skipper may be breaching local 'charter' regulations as opposed to leaving themselves open for legal action.

Those charter regulations will vary from country to country. In the UK one cannot offer a charter unless the vessel has been 'coded' by the Department of Transport - to do so leaves one open for prosecution by the authorities.

I don't believe the persons status, either as paying passenger, paid or non paid crew, or just as a pal or family member, would have any impact on any case that might result if you did do something wrong whilst they were on board......

If we or you as skipper did do something wrong, I believe we'd be open for court action.

And I respectfully suggest if the person was contributing to costs is a stranger, they may just feel more inclined to take legal action, as opposed to the more normal apology given to family or friends!

Sad world, eh......

Cheers

JOHN