Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-28-2007, 04:54 AM   #1

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Does anyone have foward looking sonar? No, not a fishfinder

For example, like a system from Interphase? If so, do you like it? We're intrigued with the idea of having the 90 degree/ 180 degree look ahead and since the boat is on the hard for the next several months, we could install it now. I'm hoping to hear what users think about this.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 06:08 AM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

I have just about convinced myself to order the Interphase twin scope. Friends installed one 12 months ago and have spent time inside the Great Barrier Reef, several reef fringed Pacific Islands and are now about to start navigating areas notoriously shallow and poorly charted in Indonesia. They say the machine is worth its weight in gold.

The print on-screen is short on detail and is not like side scan sonar which gives a three dimensional picture. It is more like a radar print. But, gaps and channels, depths and distance ahead are easily discernable.

I have the Interphase 10'5in chartplotter and it has worked flawlessly, so I don't see a problem with reliability.

The only real concern with the FLS is the need to dig another hole in the hull, and it has to be in a place far enough forward so as to remove the keel profile from the arc of the beam.

Furuno also make FLS although I have not seen one of their units.

David.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:32 PM   #3
tankgirl

Hi guys,

I had an Interphase before and just wanted to mention one thing about it.....

It worked well over-all and saved our butts a few time, but, occasionally the thing would give you a false reading...like when you really want/need it....and it'd show a sudden 'wall' in front of you, but none existed. Almost had a heart attack more then a few times for not! Never could fine-tune that out... After those first few times of false echos that little voice inside your head is throwing doubts around.

Was a cool toy though.

best - Jay
Old 09-01-2007, 06:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankgirl View Post
Hi guys,

I had an Interphase before and just wanted to mention one thing about it.....

It worked well over-all and saved our butts a few time, but, occasionally the thing would give you a false reading...like when you really want/need it....and it'd show a sudden 'wall' in front of you, but none existed. Almost had a heart attack more then a few times for not! Never could fine-tune that out... After those first few times of false echos that little voice inside your head is throwing doubts around.

Was a cool toy though.

best - Jay
I have enough heart stoppers that are the real thing! But, I guess having an idea that something is there is better than no idea at all. I wonder if it was a kelp bed or something else in front of you--did you ever note the conditions that seem to cause problems? Little did you know that you were being tracked by Moby Dick...who got out ahead from time to time!

Old 09-02-2007, 07:23 PM   #5
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbopeep View Post
I have enough heart stoppers that are the real thing! But, I guess having an idea that something is there is better than no idea at all. I wonder if it was a kelp bed or something else in front of you--did you ever note the conditions that seem to cause problems? Little did you know that you were being tracked by Moby Dick...who got out ahead from time to time!
Take a look at Farsounder - www.farsounder.com.

I went on a demo trip in Newport, RI and it was very impressive.

Old 09-02-2007, 11:32 PM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by psteele235 View Post
Take a look at Farsounder - www.farsounder.com.

I went on a demo trip in Newport, RI and it was very impressive.

Hi,

In reviews of other FLS it was noted that the forward looking distance decreased in proportion when the depth below the boat decreased.

Simple example :- 100 ft below the boat gave 1,000 ft forward looking distance - however, when the depth below the boat was only 10ft, then the forward looking distance was only 100ft.

Did your demo trip of the Far Sounder show a similar pattern of performance ???
Old 09-03-2007, 12:40 AM   #7
Admiral

There is no doubt the Farsounder is an impressive piece of hardware. Fitting costs not included, the price of these units is from AU$86,000 to AU$100,000...or between about US$75,000 and US$86,000. Fitting costs, including a dedicated computer will add up to another $10,000 to the purchase price.

It may be more cost effective to buy 2 Interphase units, a new car, take a world trip, put a deposit on a condo, and spend say $20,000 in other upgrades to the yacht.

Cheers

David.

Old 09-03-2007, 01:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
There is no doubt the Farsounder is an impressive piece of hardware. Fitting costs not included, the price of these units is from AU$86,000 to AU$100,000...or between about US$75,000 and US$86,000. Fitting costs, including a dedicated computer will add up to another $10,000 to the purchase price.

It may be more cost effective to buy 2 Interphase units, a new car, take a world trip, put a deposit on a condo, and spend say $20,000 in other upgrades to the yacht.

Cheers

David.
Or, simply buy good insurance

Old 09-06-2007, 12:11 PM   #9
Admiral

For those interested in the forward looking sonar, here is the site http://www.interphase-tech.com/ An interesting development is the addition to their product range of the FLS engine.

I have an Interphase chartplotter (also featured in this site). It appears to be good solid gear and although I have yet to put it to the test on an ocean crossing, it has performed flawlessly so far.

Cheers

David.