Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-05-2011, 12:00 AM   #1
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

After a bit of thought I'm leaning towards building my own yacht. This seems to be the best value for money and allows it to be exactly what I want rather than requiring a refit. I will be single-handing and at most there will only ever be one other person aboard for long stretches.

My requirements are as follows:

1. Around 30' to keep building costs, time to build and mooring fees reasonable.

2. For simplicity of building I'm leaning heavily towards glass over timber.

3. Inboard 20hp diesel, either running direct or (preferred, for redundancy) via generator drive to an electric motor.

4. Easy to manage European inland waterways, which I plan to visit (low bridges and so on).

5. Shoal draft so I can beach her for maintenance and for cheap, safe moorings in creeks during foul weather.

So far the best I've seen is the Bolger AS29, anyone have alternatives? Any thoughts on what I might have overlooked? Vital equipment list? Comments about the new timber hull examination and treatment requirements?

Here's a photo of a junk-rigged example:

Thanks in advance,

Rob

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:30 AM   #2
Admiral

As usual, Memory Lane stories jump to mind.

Have you ever seen the home-built steel sloops popular with many Europeans on a small budget? Hard-chined, the Caribbean is full of them. They were easy to build, roomy, and very cheap. Lots of people went cruising on a very tight budget with them. One couple that we knew lived on theirs in the Caribbean for better than 10 years. The man was a teacher, and when school let out for summer break he and his wife cruised the Caribbean and S. America until school reopened.

Then in the late 80s we joined the Hawaiian Tropic St. Martin to Nevis race. The race to Nevis is to weather and fighting a tough current running along St. Kitts, so the monohulls started about 9 pm the night before, then multihulls started the next morning. The Committee boat for the race was a power boat, and as soon as the monohulls crossed the start line the Committee boat headed for Nevis to be in place for the afternoon finish of the monohulls. So you can imagine the Committee boat's dismay when at about 7 in the morning we heard on the radio, "where's the finish line? Where's the committee boat?" An Antigua boat, Caccia alla Volpe, was already there! and the rest of the boats weren't even halfway past St. Kitts. I was impressed, because there were some serious sailors (not us) in this low season, no tourists in sight, race.

Caccia alla Volpe was built like one of the hard-chined steel boats, but was glass over plywood, and damn fast. I thought the boat was super cool!

The owner is often a contender in the annual Heinekken Regatta held every March in St. Maarten/St. Martin. Here's a picture - still hard-chined, but I'm not sure if it's the same boat as I saw 20 years ago.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:19 PM   #3
Admiral

Nice story, and a great photo. I'm not much of a welder, but if one of those came up secondhand I might be interested. Any brand names come to mind?

Rob

Old 06-05-2011, 01:49 PM   #4
Admiral

Just found a website for some guy in South Australia who sails one of these on Lake Alexandrina.

http://www.ace.net.au/schooner/LKsail.htm