Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-18-2012, 01:51 AM   #1
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie
Default Foul weather clothing

Most of my sailing has been done in the tropics. With my forthcoming crossing of the South Pacific, I expect to encounter some chilly weather and with a little less protection than I am used to (downsized from 53' centre cockpit to 37' aft cockpit) I am researching cold/foul weather clothing.

There is a lot out there! Is the budget gear worthwhile, are Dubarry boots necessary or will a pair of fisherman's boots do the job equally as well?

I have good quality inshore gear (Bourke) and wonder if I put extra woolies on underneath, will that suffice?

What are you wearing when you get out into the serious stuff?

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:37 AM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Who cares what's on the outside--its the fleece under it all that counts

We've got a serious mis-match of things to keep us warm and (somewhat) dry. Our footwear sucks because we prefer to have traction on deck rather than dry feet--and we simply rely on high-tech sock liners and wool socks to make up for it, though. So you'll find both of us in soaking wet high-traction deck-shoes. Even so, from my (spring whitewater canoing, not sailing) experience, wet shoes with good high-tech sock liners and wool socks are warm enough unless the temperatures are under the low 40F range.

Best rain gear seems to be that marketed to the fishermen. Here's hubby in such gear. Sorry, don't recall the brand. Heavy stuff though. Note he's got on deck shoes.

Here I am in an old goretex winter parka with layers (yes, more than one layer) of Patagonia capilene expedition weight synthetic fleece under it. When it is really, really wet out, making sure that I'm covered in fleece under the outerwear is much more important than what's on top.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:34 AM   #3
Admiral

Great pix Brenda! David is wearing gloves. Are they anything special or just polar fleece gloves from the camping store?

PS. Just clicked on your 'boat' link. Seems you are doing a fairly comprehensive discount line of erection enhancing drugs...

Old 12-18-2012, 07:34 AM   #4
Lieutenant

Home Port: Portsmouth
Vessel Name: No Worries

Good quality breathable waterproofs are well worth having and Dubarry boots are the best thing going! My Dubarrys are the best bit of kit I have and I wouldn't sail without them. But I do sail in the Northern hesmisphere so can't comment on the Pacific!
Old 12-19-2012, 09:34 PM   #5
Lieutenant

Home Port: the boat
Vessel Name: Skipping Stone

I'd think your coastal gear with warmth below would be fine. I purchased a foul jacket in France in 1978 and other than the elastic at the sleeves, it's almost in new condition; tough stuff! However it is way too heavy for the tropics. Stick with the lightest high quality gear and you won't have to buy another set for quite a while.
A few years back I was in Stonington, Ct, and they had an end of season sale. Bought a pair of Dubarrys for about 25% of retail and though I never would have spent retail on them, I would now; great boots.
As you know, should you have to steer, you want to be as comfortable as possible out there in Neptune's domain.
facebook.com/svskippingstone
capta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
PS. Just clicked on your 'boat' link. Seems you are doing a fairly comprehensive discount line of erection enhancing drugs...
oops! Just updated the link. Wonder how long it's been that way?

Oh--those gloves are hubby's cold weather biking gloves. Here in the US, in cold climates, just go in where they've got a good range of cycles and you'll find a good range of cold weather cycling clothing. He also has a pair of long cycling leggings that he sometimes wears under his foulies.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:06 PM   #7

Oh yea, one more thing, when hubby wears his cycling gloves I can see his hands moving around on deck when he's got his headlamp lit at night! The gloves have reflective stripes on them.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:01 AM   #8
Admiral

I have been looking at various options for polar fleece layers and, without wishing to promote any particular company, I noticed the attached. Not sure of US prices, I would appreciate some feedback on the value offered here and if anyone has purchased clothing from Amazon, some details about the general manufacturing quality would be very helpful indeed.

Amazon.com: polar fleece jacket: Clothing & Accessories

By the way, I have booked my ticket to the US for the 8th Feb. So, pretty soon, I will be going a'sailing on the Sea of Cortez....Yay!

Old 01-08-2013, 08:37 AM   #9

We've purchased quite a lot from Amazon. Shoes, woolies, fleece. Yes on all. We've had great luck getting sale items from Sierra Trading Post - Great Deals. Great Brands.. so I usually compare price on same brand items between the two stores.

Must admit that our two favorite fleece makers are Patagonia (most of our stuff is Patagonia) and Helly Hansen though.