Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-12-2007, 09:25 AM   #15
Ensign

Hi

I have a spectra - Catalina 300 desalinator. At the time I bought it, it was one of the top of the range making 48lts an hour but using around 17amps per hour. ATtthe Santaury Cove boat I checked out the latest desal units. You can now get a desal that makes 60lts and hour and only use around 5.5 amps per hour for approx AU$6000. After owing a unit for the past 3 years and using it every couple of days I would hate to be without one. I wouldn't want to be lugging around jerry cans of water every port I stop in.

Jackiy

'Behemoth'

Old 09-27-2007, 04:13 PM   #16
Rear Admiral

A couple of things about the watermaker. The builder of Imagine installed a tank just for the watermaker to extract it's saltwater from. This wway there is no sucking of air, and purging of the machine.

I hate carrying cans, but I refuse to make water in anchorages, and unclear water. We would use South Beach Miami as our hub for travelling. I would never make water there, because of all the sand in the water, and who knows what is being pumped into the anchorage?

As far as taste? I think the water is tasteless, but that leaves me peace of mind!

Old 09-28-2007, 02:16 AM   #17
Lieutenant

I have used R/O water makers since 1982, in both commercial charter yachts and private cruising yacht applications, ranging through all temperatures and seawater conditions.

Like everything else you need to understand its weaknesses and install solutions to minimize them:

The key is to maintain your pre-filtration to the membrane and allow the membrane to “flutter” at low pressure for 5 minutes prior to shut down. If you find yourself in waters with lots of algae/plankton bloom then an installed media filter (sand/Gravel Box with back flush) helps to keep the pre-filters clean.

As tankgirl mentioned, if you shut down for more than a week you need to pickle the system. You can plumb a closed loop so that at low pressure you flush well with fresh water, then pickle and recirculate ever 4 weeks. It is a simple job and will keep your membrane and plumbing lines clean for years.

All R/O units come with a safe water sensor that measures contaminants and salinity to far above WHO standards. Again, these usually fail when prefiltration is not maintained. (The taste that Aussie mentions was probably because of dirty filters and a failed sensor).

On StarGazer when at anchor for weeks I need to use the Gen for about 2 hours each day to re-charge my batteries. (I am not energy efficient yet) That is more than enough to refill the tank and deck bin for laundry / wipe down.

Lastly, annual maintenance of your water tank by flushing with treatment or preferably physical inspection is highly recommended. I never worry about the quality of water from my R/O but if it sits there in the tank for months or is mixed with marina dock water, things will start to grow. On my list to install is an ultraviolet filter just prior to the FW Pump.

As far as taste? I think the water is tasteless, but that leaves me peace of mind!

Agreed, especially when making Ice for that sip of single malt scotch!

Old 10-09-2007, 01:26 PM   #18
Ensign

hi, i have a Citor reverse osmosis watermaker manufactured in western australia. my yacht is a 46' cruiser. the high pressure pump runs off the auxillary motor and it makes 60 litres per hour. it has been convenient simply to 'make' water when motoring. the unit has been flawless and extended our scope for out of the way anchorages in West Oz and length of time 'in paradise'. the water quality is exceptional. correct maintenance and operation of the system is the key as mentioned by others. I still carry spare jerry cans in case but thankfully haven't needed them as yet.