Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-12-2007, 05:02 PM   #1
Rear Admiral

Default GAM Backstay Anetenna?

Can anyone please provide advice on these guys, who claim to have a clip on backstay SSB Antenna that works? I've never seen these in Europe - and don't seem to be able to get a response from this firm despite one email and a phone message.

http://www.gamelectronicsinc.com/

I don't really want to fit transom mounted antenna for a new DSC SSB set - but equally don't wish to risk integrity (or costs) be putting in backstay insulators.

So if this antenna works - and they are still in business - it might be an alternative. Any comments also really appreciated.

JOHN

Old 01-12-2007, 05:11 PM   #2
Admiral

Not really an answer to your question John but an idea which might work for you.

NAUSIKAA has double back-stays. I certainly did not want to compromise the integrity of either one of them so I fitted an extra antenna between them. It is attached to the mast using rope rather than wire, has insulators at both ends (of course) and then attaches to the push-pit using a light rope too.

Because the insulators are not load bearing, they are much lighter and cheaper than back-stay fitted insulators.

As far as I am concerned, the only disadvantage with the set-up is a very slight increase in windage.

Yours aye,

Stephen

yacht NAUSIKAA

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 12:17 AM   #3
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

John,

I just talked to GAM, they say the system costs $425.00. They said they would have their engineer call me back regarding my concern about the HDPE getting brittle in the sun. I'll keep you informed.

Cheers,

Ken
Old 01-13-2007, 03:26 AM   #4
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

John,

I talked to their engineer, and he says that the HDPE supplier claims it will last 5 years in the tropics. He says that the black pigment gives it the extended life. However, my experience with HDPE is that it starts to breakdown in UV after 18 months.

I'm in the market for an antenna solution as well, so if you find a good solution, please share the info.

Cheers,

Ken
Old 01-13-2007, 05:40 AM   #5
Lieutenant

Home Port: Cape Town

John,

Why spend the money on some costly SSB antenna when you can make one yourself that you can carry in a small bag? Here’s how:

Buy a length of standard 10mm ski rope that is twice the length of your mast plus about 5 metres. Also buy (if you do not already have one) a small block you can tie to the top of your mast. Now, depending on the tuner you have with your new radio, you need to calculate the length of antenna you need, remembering that your antenna starts at the insulated terminal of your tuner. For an Icom tuner, 13.5 metres will tune up quickly on both marine and HAM frequencies. Buy the length of wire (tinned copper multi-strand is the best – with about a 1mm diameter inner core). From about 50cm from the one end of the rope open the braid and take your time feeding the wire into the rope until you only have sufficient wire left to feed through a deck gland to the top of the tuner. Fasten the 50cm “tail” to the stern rail of your yacht and then take the other end up the mast, through the block and down to the base of the mast, where you tie it off.

Make sure that the tuner is well earthed to give you a good counterpoise and have fun on the bands! I deliver boats, that have no HF/SSB radios, all over the world with this antenna and an Icom 706 HAM radio – easy and quick to install and remove and I talk on the setup all the way from the US coast back to South Africa. Also, I do my email via the radio and antenna with no problems. My $20 antenna has done over 200 000 nm with me with only one break in the Pacific. Fortunately, I had another 13.5 metre length of wire with me which took 30 minutes to replace the old one. The reason for the break in the wire was salt water getting into a small cut in the insulation of the wire caused when trying to land a 70Kg yellow fin tuna. The corrosion acted a lot quicker than I anticipated! The fish went down a treat and was well worth the cost of the new length of wire!

JohnT
Old 01-14-2007, 06:36 AM   #6
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

I am in agreement with Stephen. I have twin backstays. I also have a gantry over the stern to support solar panels. My SSB arial is led from the top LHS side of the gantry to the mast top and is isolated by small insulators. As the wire is terminated at both ends above the level of the backstays there is no chance of it fouling the mainsail. I guess this must be the case with most larger yachts as the diameter and load bearing capacity of the rigging wire would rule out its use as an effective arial.

David

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:39 AM   #7
Rear Admiral

Thanks all for the advice. Must admit to being an absolute greenhorn re SSB.

Sounds as if the antenna wire run separate to my backstay is the way we'll go, but will let you all know what we ended up with once its working.

Have to say this appeals more than adding the rubber GAM clip over model - so please anyone - please do not go out of your way to delve into the GAM antenna on my behalf. If they can't be bothered to respond to me direct - not sure I'd want them as a supplier anyway!Cheers

JOHN
Old 04-04-2007, 08:50 AM   #8
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagman View Post
Thanks all for the advice. Must admit to being an absolute greenhorn re SSB.

Sounds as if the antenna wire run separate to my backstay is the way we'll go, but will let you all know what we ended up with once its working.

Have to say this appeals more than adding the rubber GAM clip over model - so please anyone - please do not go out of your way to delve into the GAM antenna on my behalf. If they can't be bothered to respond to me direct - not sure I'd want them as a supplier anyway!Cheers

JOHN
John,

How did your antenna work out?

Old 04-04-2007, 02:06 PM   #9
Ensign

Thanks John, for the information. The question i have is do you feed the wire into the line until the wire fully enclosed? How did you ground your portable SSB?

Thanks for your help.

Rick and Deb Porter.

S/V Amante

Islander 41

"Keep the water out of the boat and the boat in the water"
Sailboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 06:20 PM   #10
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manor View Post
John,

How did your antenna work out?

Hi,

Not set up yet - but after discussions with local radio 'experts' reverted to buying regular whip antennas.

Carrying both out to Turkey this weekend so expect to advise on installation say 15 days time.

Cheers

JOHN
Old 05-28-2007, 06:02 PM   #11
Ensign

Send a message via Yahoo to sailman

I could not have said it better than Johnt on using a 35 ft line with wire threaded through it. They are on sale from a Co in Flordia for $165.00 US I have decided to make my own also. I am using an Icom SSB 710 and a Icom auto tuner. The antenna will way outperform a back stay antenna since copper wire is much better than stainless, and in case of demasting, the antenna can be set actoss the deck for operation.There also is no danger of burns from touching the stays.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:45 AM   #12
Ensign

Send a message via Yahoo to sailman

I FOUND THE COMPANY SELLING THE ROPE ANTENNA AND IT GIVES A EXTENSIVE DISCRIPTION OF THE ANTENNA AND METHODS OF USE. WE HAVE TRIED TO MAKE A COPY OF THIS ANTENNA FOR OURSELVES AND FOUND IT SAVES US MAYBE $50.00 AND CAUSES A LOT OF WORK. ALSO GETTING THE PROPER CONNECTIONS IS SOMETIMES TOUGH.

THERE EMAIL ADDRESS IS

www.ropeantenna.com

ANOTHER USE, IS ON CATAMARANS THAT HAVE NO BACK STAY TO USE AS AN ANTENNA.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:21 AM   #13
Admiral

Check this site :-

Richard Mogford KG6 TOJ with his presentation made on the 19th May 2005 - entitled "HF Radio at Sea" http://hamradio.arc.nasa.gov/meetings/HFradioatsea.html

In Handy Hints for the Cruising Sailor (This Forum) check the section on HF Radio from one of the world's top HF practitioners on a Catamaran .

Also look at Shakespeare's link : http://www.shakespeare-marine.com

One the very best small antennas from Australia : http://www.outbacker.com.au/index.php