Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-13-2007, 01:45 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Isabel and I sail a Bruce Roberts 53 sloop/cutter. We have a 120% roller reefing genoa and a medium sized lightweight spinnaker/reacher/??? used when broad reaching with F3 or less. But no pole. Advice welcomed on:

Pole length, I've been told both "length of foot of genoa" and "distance from mast to lower end of forestay" - 8m and 6.5m respectively

Is it worth having an adjustable pole ?

What diameter/wall thickness ?

What end fittings ?

How high up the mast should it be attached, I've seen them from 2 feet to 20 feet, but maybe these are for spinnakers, not genoas

Is a track on the front of the mast vital, so you can vary the height of attachment, and if so, when is it set high and when low ?

What control lines ar needed, just an uphaul, or more ?

What is the best way to stow it when not in use ?

No tips for racers , please. Just two of us on board mostly, so ease of operation is vital.

Ideas on a cheap source would also be useful, in the 20 months since I bought the boat, we have lived for half of whatI budgettd, but boat costs have been more than double, mainly due to replacement parts and vital improvements

Steelfan, now in Turkey

steelfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:32 PM   #2
Admiral

[QUOTE=name='steelfan' date='Aug 13 2007, 08:45 PM' post='11858']

Hello,

Steelfan ,

I had the same need - luck stepped in ! In the marina where I kept my Cat. I found a couple of wind surfer masts that had been abandoned.

In a chandler I found a black ABS boat hook fitting (no pole) which coincidently fitted the thin end of the mast (this was glued on with epoxy)

At the fat end I inserted a wooden plug and drilled a hole about an 25mm from the bottom through the mast and plug. I then threaded about a metre's worth of 8mm line through the hole.

To pole out the Genoa : insert the pointy end into the clew cringle ( the genoapolingout pole now lies horizontal - more or less above the life lines) The fat end of the pole is tied on to the mast or even on to the boom - if you can . Forgot something else : attach a length of 1/4 inch (6mm) line to the clew - not the pole - bring this back along the outside of the pole and bend it on to the fat end's line, thus ensuring that the thin end stays in the clew.

I used that system for hundreds and hundreds of sea miles in light winds.

Richard

PS when not poling , the extra long boat hook was great for picking up lines etc..