Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 10-18-2010, 11:24 PM   #1
Commander

Home Port: Stockton, MO
Vessel Name: Ceilidh

Some members here dropped us a line and asked us to fill forum members in on our current progress so here goes: The house still hasn't sold in this wonderful financial climate and we are not holding our breath waiting for the economy to improve... We are currently working on alternate plans to get us out cruising full-time and not count on the house selling.

On a good note, I just returned from Chapman School of Seamanship after PASSING the tests and receiving the required documents to turn in to the USCG for my 100 Ton Near Coastal Masters License! Yeah!!! With my sea service documented as it is I should get the 50 Ton license and I got the Assistance Towing and Sailing endorsements.

Still working as a paramedic inland, but trailering a smaller sailboat to the coast every few months to log near-coastal time.

Almost have the refit done on the Pearson Vanguard... Nothing like a brand new 1966! The Tartan is such a dream to sail that the Pearson isn't as missed as we thought she would be. While I was in Stuart, Florida I stopped by Seaward and looked at one of the new Hake's. The Hake 32 may end up being the next boat, but I learned that they are building a 40 plus footer at the moment so we will wait to look at it. They have an electric raised keel that allows cruising through skinny water! A monohull that can get into the beaches like a cat'!!! They use Anderson winches right from the start! Not a Tartan, but they are well engineered and easy to trailer and repair so I am impressed...

We would like to be on the water full-time already, but we are still on track and making progress.

See you out there,

(The other) David & Brenda

Old 10-19-2010, 12:08 AM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

We're so glad to hear from you! And, so glad to hear that you're getting time on the water and enjoying your sailing to boot.

Please do keep us posted on your activities and join in some of the discussions here, too!

Best to you,

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:12 AM   #3
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Yes, we'd all like to hear more from you. Thanks for the update.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:43 PM   #4
Rear Admiral

Home Port: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Coyote

I like the clean style of the Hake 32. I would love to see a 40.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:58 PM   #5
Commander

Home Port: Stockton, MO
Vessel Name: Ceilidh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote View Post

I like the clean style of the Hake 32. I would love to see a 40.
I have really only one question... Everything I saw on the Hake was quality and well thought out. The engine was a new style Yanmar with the service parts forward and easy to reach (even the pump impeller plate is on the forward side!)... The hardware was all top quality. The decks were designed to never have a water intrusion problem. BUT... I guess that I just think like an offshore sailor: What happens to that ballasted keel if the boat gets upside down??? Does it slam towards the hull? The trunk encasing the keel is amazingly strong. I know the numbers on our traditional boats, and each should right on their own, but I need to crunch the numbers on the Hake to see what will happen there.

Otherwise I love it... Not quite the ambiance of the Tartan's teak, but it was designed so you could pull out the cushions and spray the interior down with a hose. Doubtfully as rugged as the Pearson Vanguard, but the decks won't get soft if water gets in. And I really like the ability to traverse the skinny water areas both in the Keys and Bermuda and the ability to go over skinny water to get into a protected harbor is exciting.

I like the option of trailering it across country, and of course the ability to take her inland in times of potential storms. You can still sleep aboard while trailering one from here to there. It would/will be a temptation in the future!

David
Old 12-11-2010, 11:10 PM   #6
Admiral

Many good innovative aspects to the design - keel retracted 1'8" great!!

Here is the link to a full description of the keel : C L I C K

I wonder how one cleans the inside of the keel trunk ?? I'm hoping the designer returns here with some ideas or recommendations.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:38 PM   #7
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post

Many good innovative aspects to the design - keel retracted 1'8" great!!

Here is the link to a full description of the keel : C L I C K

I wonder how one cleans the inside of the keel trunk ?? I'm hoping the designer returns here with some ideas or recommendations.
Hi MMNETSEA,

Thanks for the invite to the forum. The Trunk is basically self cleaning with the keel that goes up and down inside it with the 2000 pound lead that is duck billed shaped. The Keel Trunk is part of the hull bottom so the water only goes up into it a few inches. I would also like to point out that the mechanism is never exposed to the eliminates like a Swing Keel where no matter what you do the pin is exposed and will fail.

I would also like to answer the question on if the boat ever goes over will the keel go thru? If you look at a deck picture you will see a chain that is foward of the keel stem - if ever in rough seas you would just run that chain thru the keel stem for piece of mind.

Thanks,

Tim De Vries

Sales Manager / RIgger / Boat Washer

Hake Yachts, LLC.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:47 AM   #8
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Thanks for the info Tim.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 01:30 PM   #9
Ensign

Here is a drawing of the upcoming 46RK!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hake 46 jpg.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	1626
Old 12-13-2010, 01:39 PM   #10
Ensign

Also this is a picture of a 32RK on a travel lift - many of my customers do this on the West Coast of Florida.
Attached Thumbnails
094.jpg