Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 09-20-2009, 10:24 PM   #1
Ensign

Hello,

we want to haul out 55' sail boat and repaint the bottom (preferably spray), Could anyone tell us the best (and cheap) place to do so on the W coast? We are currently in B.C but planning to sail S to Panama and to the Caribbean for winter,

cheers

Old 09-20-2009, 11:35 PM   #2
Ensign

Hi.

I have a boat in Washington and another on San Diego. I recommend, if you want to do your own work, try Port Townsend in Washington. They should give you a good deal even if you have them do the painting.

If your intent on going on south before hauling and painting, I can say that most yards (at least in San Diego) won't let you do your own paint or underwater work.

And most all don't allow spray painting by the owner. In my opinion and experience, spray painting of bottom paint is not recommended. It takes high pressure equipment to get it thru the nozzle and onto the bottom of the boat. Plus the yard would require complete containment of the area, just as they do with sanding (or vacuum attachments on sanders). California yards are very stricked, even with their own work because of the EPA and Cal OSHA.

Also, most all yards won't let you provide your own paint.

However, the bottom prep and 2 coats of paint for my 53ft power boat was just a little under $500US. The overall yard bill was a lot more than I want to admit (to myself).

If you have an opportunity to haul in BC or even on one of your many Public Grids, then I recommend that. There are very few grids left in Washington and the ones that are belong to individuals or clubs. I know of one that I use for my 38 ft sail boat but can't recommend it because the "owner" wants to keep it "under the radar". Nothing wrong with a grid if you tarp the landing area and clear/clean up all material before the next tide.

Good luck

Steve

s/v Good Intentions (Ingrid 38)

m/v Wave (Huckins 53)

Old 10-03-2009, 05:25 PM   #3
Ensign

I may be a bit late here but Port Townsend has one more thing going for it and that is inexpensive bus service to get around town and even ride the bus to one of the ferry terminals to ride the ferry to Seattle if needed. A senior bus pass is something like 8.00 a month.

Rob
Old 11-03-2009, 06:37 PM   #4
Ensign

Baja Naval, Ensendada BC Mexico will do a very good job

at a very good price. I have used them on 2 occasions.