Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-02-2005, 11:04 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Hawaiian Islands Cruising

Another silly question just waiting for another consensus from the experts...

What is cruising the Hawaiian Islands like? I mean-what can we expect (in general)?

I've heard everything thing from "sweet" to "Why do you think people sail from the West Coast to Hawaii-and then sell their boats? Cause it's AWFUL!"

My favourite quote is that it's like sailing across the Golf of Tehuantepec in bad weather-every day!

So...what's YOUR opinion/view? Inquiring minds want to know...

Thanks,

Laura G.

Old 08-03-2005, 03:50 AM   #2
gentlewind

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Converted Post'
Originally posted by SailorGirl

What is cruising the Hawaiian Islands like? I mean-what can we expect (in general)?
Well, I'm certainly no expert, but Gentle Wind has been here in the Hawaiian Islands for a couple weeks now, and we've seen very little evidence of any pleasure boating or cruising, except in the areas around Honolulu/Waikiki. There are a few "small boat harbors" but we've seen almost no traffic in them, and except for a couple of sail boats anchored in the Makena area of Maui we've encountered no other cruisers at all. There were a couple of boats in the anchorage with us in Sugar Beack (near Kihei, Maui) but we never saw anyone coming or going.

Pretty disappointing, but I think we'll see more interesting stuff when we get to Tahiti in a couple weeks.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:42 PM   #3
Commander

SG, there is a thread on this topic at http://www.cruisersforum.com/ as I recall. Perhaps because GW has only been there a short time, they haven't yet had a chance to visit the other (windward) side of their Oahu, Kaneohe Bay. We've boated around there while our son flew out of the USMC air base there and it is a wonderful place to base for a while. Protected anchorages, a breeze but no swell, bus service ashore (accessed via the YC) that will take you to various malls and superb hardware stores, and so on.

Having said that, my impression is that there are only a few 'pockets' thru-out the islands where protected anchorages are available; as a general rule, you are anchoring in bays adjacent to large islands which have their own micro weather systems and where the synoptic weather systems determine a great deal about 'where' you go and in what level of comfort. Given your location, I'd suggest you consider it not unlike cruising around Santa Cruz, Santa Rosa and San Miguel islands, except that you need to add 'warm' and 'green', and increase the mileages in the passages between anchorages.

Jack
Old 08-10-2005, 04:30 AM   #4
JohnW

I am from the North West and have sailed to Hawaii 4 times...great sailing to get there and can be exiciting sailing between the Islands. We once spent 6 months cruising the Islands on our way down to French Polynesea. Found very few good anchorages and the ones

we did find, tended to be very busy with boat traffic. The marinas and yacht clubs had very few spots available and we had to move around alot. I would go back again but for much less time and it would be as a stop over for a longer trip.

John

Tags
hawaii, island